G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

AAM Competition S-LINE Short Tails, now for G37 Coupes.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 07:55 PM
Bong1012

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ricky
Just picked it up a few minutes ago. exact same thing for $300 less.
Are these 2.5" pipes?
Sound clip?
Old 04-17-2013, 08:08 PM
Ricky

Originally Posted by jujubii
good for you
now, if the sound is replicated as well as their advertised weight savings, more power to you!
if you can mass-produce it and sell it (if that is your desire), most power to you!
It has a nice deep rumble just like the video. I'll post up a sound clip probably tomorrow. I could probably talk to my exhaust guy to make a bunch but I really don't have that kind of time to sell them.

I use to have the jdm "nismo" axle back but wanted something a little louder.

and yes its 2.5" piping with 4" tips
Old 04-18-2013, 02:04 AM
esquesk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jujubii
For the record, i mis-spoke when i said both were muffler deletes. the tanabes' still have a muffler just in a different form compared to the oem (like i said in my earlier post), BB just reiterated it. short tails are deletes. what i meant to say is that both are similar in the sense that they're muffler mods or in the g37's case, axlebacks. my gripe is that everyone seems so accepting of tanabe's price (while b*tchin' out aam for their's). both manufacturer/odm seems to inflate the price and it's been proven, yet again, that the design can be replicated for less than half the price!
which goes back to the whole imitation v.s. innovation argument.... yes, you can say that there doesn't seem to be much innovation in the short tails, but you'll never know... only the od's truly know.

i'm not trying to justify the aam's pricing, i'm just pointing out the inconsistencies and bandwagoning i saw in this thread (and, to and extent, in this community). for those of you who judged the people who got the top speed (tanabe replica) axleback, i expect you to appear here and flame Ricky. LOL. jk

good for you
now, if the sound is replicated as well as their advertised weight savings, more power to you!
if you can mass-produce it and sell it (if that is your desire), most power to you!
What makes you think that the same people who disagree with AAM's pricing agree with Tanabe's?

I think both are overpriced for what they are and wouldn't purchase them myself, although I understand the appeal for others.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:17 PM
Ricky

Finally had a chance to make a quick video.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/91UVEXECgWE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-23-2013, 02:36 PM
gizmo0034

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
has anyone actually bought a set of these AAM short tails and can provide a review?

i'm curious to know if there is any secret engineering behind them to account for the price difference with muffler delete pipes.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:15 PM
Ricky

there is no difference. they are delete pipes. you are just paying for the name.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:08 PM
Bong1012

Originally Posted by Ricky
there is no difference. they are delete pipes. you are just paying for the name.
Are the muffler delete pipes a lot louder than aftermarket catback exhausts? Is there any rasp?
Old 04-24-2013, 06:53 PM
socialconflicts

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Hmm wonder what shops here in san diego can do it. Is there something specific i need to ask for? Do i need to show them a certain picture? I would like to do this.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:07 PM
Ricky

Originally Posted by Bong1012
Are the muffler delete pipes a lot louder than aftermarket catback exhausts? Is there any rasp?
It is louder then any catback with maybe the exception of the Meisterschaft exhaust. there is a rasp at higher rpm.
any exhaust shop can make it. I took a picture of the aam one to my exhaust guy and he quickly said he could make the muffler delete.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:20 PM
tmmueller

I installed a set of these aam competition pipes a couple weeks ago. First time I've done any exhaust mod on any car I've owned. At first I was like holy crap, can't live with this it's rediculous but after a few days of driving around I'm loving them. Loud for sure but I can't compare it to anything. Ricky's video he posted above is representative of the sound. At idle, once the car warms up, it's very quite. There's a bit of rasp at high RPM's like say over 4k with heavy throttle. other than that no rasp. The noise is very bearable and quite mean sounding. I have an automatic so there is some drone present at low rpms like say under 1900 rpm especially when just giving it slight throttle, but not enough to actually make the car downshift. Most noticible when going up a slight incline. There's also drone present at say 80% throttle in the 3k-4k range.

If you drive the car in sport shift mode, and shift it yourself, you can avoid all the droning by keeping the car in the 2-3k range... or just flat out nailing it.

The sound is a head turner for sure and all of the people that have heard it say it sounds great, even non-car enthusiasts. (except my wife who thinks I'm a nutcase for making my car louder)

Quality seems fine and install was easy once I wrestled out the huge muffler. I did have to do a bit of bending on the hangers to make things look even on the back. In fact I still need to tweak it a bit to make it perfect.

All in all not the cheapest mod for what you actually get, but if you just want to get that throaty mean sound and turn some heads it's not bad.

AAM was easy to deal with although they had a production problem that delayed the shipping a bit. Once they fixed their bender they got them right out to me. It was about $450 with freight.

I'll try to get a video tonight and post it up.

Last edited by tmmueller; 07-09-2013 at 07:01 PM. Reason: adding pics and video
Old 07-10-2013, 09:28 AM
tmmueller

ok, here's the video/sound clip:

Last edited by tmmueller; 07-10-2013 at 09:51 AM.