Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Hood release clip stuck

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 07:37 AM
gizmo0034

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hood release clip stuck

just finished installing my midnight grill on my g37 IPL and i must have pinched the hood release cable on the passenger side. When i use my hood release under the wheel, the drivers side spring releases the hood but not the passengers side.

i'd read how a few people have been able to go through the grill to pull the cable manually. anyone have any pictures of where this cable is located? i really want to avoid the drive to the dealership if i can.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:44 AM
BLAIR'N G372012

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Just a thing I did to get it unstuck. Have another person pull the hood release as your in front by the side that wont release. Gently put your finger pr fingers under the hood and lift. Happened to me when I too installed my Grill yet Gen 3. Dont pry it up it should just come up with a lil push on lifting.. then fix the cable and all done.
Touchy cable it is...

Good luck!
Old 03-26-2013, 12:08 PM
cribbsjy

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When I redid my grill, I accidentally pinched the cable with the radiator shroud (the plastic part that has like 129803243 clips you have to remove to get behind the grill). I took the shroud back off and put it back on while ensuring the hood release cable was free (by occasionally pulling on it while installing the shroud making sure it wasn't stuck).
Old 03-26-2013, 12:34 PM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by cribbsjy
When I redid my grill, I accidentally pinched the cable with the radiator shroud (the plastic part that has like 129803243 clips you have to remove to get behind the grill). I took the shroud back off and put it back on while ensuring the hood release cable was free (by occasionally pulling on it while installing the shroud making sure it wasn't stuck).

I've replaced my grill before and had the same problem.

Now recently, I changed out all the bolts to some nice stainless steel ones and the passenger side latch was stuck and wouldnt lock/unlock. All I did was loosen the bolts on the radiator shroud and that did the trick. The cable was probably being pinched somewhere under the shroud.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:30 PM
gizmo0034

yeah, really wish i had noticed this problem before i closed the hood. now i cant even tell what the problem is, i just assume its being pinched, or it came off when i was reinstalling the shroud without noticing.

i have tried pushing down on the hood while pulling the release cable but it still only works on the drivers side. i'm going to try jiggling it a little more tonight, but its looking like i'm heading back to the dealer to get them to fix it.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:45 PM
unknowndesi
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts
The cables are connected through a Y type connection under the drivers side fender. My cable would not release so I had to pull all the cables out and soak them in CLR and then ATF fluid to get the cables to push back so the hood would close and lock into place. Try taking the wire off of the hood latch and attach a vice to the cable itslef and give it another pull that might just do the trick.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:08 PM
Nothin2Somethin

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by myk1013

Now recently, I changed out all the bolts to some nice stainless steel ones and the passenger side latch was stuck and wouldnt lock/unlock. All I did was loosen the bolts on the radiator shroud and that did the trick. The cable was probably being pinched somewhere under the shroud.
This.... Happened to me when I removed my grill, I couldnt get the hood the latch properly and realized the latch wasnt moving on the driver side. So like you have already figured out the line is being pinched somewhere but it is hard to find out where because it runs underneath the shroud like others have said. So I just loosened each bolt on the shroud a bit and the latch ended up working fine. Definitely try that.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:37 PM
gizmo0034

great success tonight. i was able to pull on the bumper portion on the passenger side while my friend pulled the hood release cable. this must have freed up the cable enough to release the spring clip and the hood popped up. then i unbolted the radiator shroud and wiggled the cable before reinstalling the shroud. problem solved, thanks for all the advice.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:00 PM
IPL 370GT

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by myk1013

Did you use dress up bolts kit? It calls for the wrong bolt near the hood release, this causes the latch to stick. Use the smaller bolt... I believe it's a number 3.