Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Goodbye Clean Title....

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 05:45 PM
nassiris90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BosMaSwaG37
^^^^IPL 370GT is right. The repair will exceed 2500. Doesn't look like a totally loss so your your title will remain clean..Carfax may be impacted.

Unfortunately, the carfax will be impacted as it's been reported and claimed. However, my brother was in an accident with his car (very minor) and demanded and RECEIVED an extra few thousand dollars from insurance as compensation for loss of resale value. Loss of value is my main concern, and hopefully I can get appropriate compensation.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:52 PM
sikwidiit

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
damn that sucks, good luck bro
Old 03-10-2013, 10:49 PM
Doubleminded

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I know some even under 2500 have been reported to carfax, even fender benders that are just simply repainted. I for one think dont like the fact that they arent, It may not be a big deal, but id still like to know if the car im buying had to have a repaint etc..
Old 03-11-2013, 06:32 AM
BosMaSwaG37

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Until you're the selling getting screwed because of it.

Although I do agree with you.

Originally Posted by Doubleminded
I know some even under 2500 have been reported to carfax, even fender benders that are just simply repainted. I for one think dont like the fact that they arent, It may not be a big deal, but id still like to know if the car im buying had to have a repaint etc..
Old 03-11-2013, 08:18 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
That $2500 comment I made was what a dealer told me when I was trading a car a while back. Asked if there was ever any damage from a single accident that was over $2500. When asked why, he said that if it was over $2500 it would show up on the carfax if it was. That's all he said and he didn't get into specifics.

Looking at the pics again, it seems the damage is worse than when I looked quickly them before. Still....doesn't look really bad.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:47 PM
BosMaSwaG37

From the pics it appears that most of the damage is done to replacable parts. If I were you i'd keep that insurance check and strip that bad boy down and do your own repair. Get a midnight grill, IPL front bumper-buy the silver one and have it painted KH3. I'm sure underneath that there's isn't too much damage. You may have to take it to a shop but at least make the determination yourself in order to avoid the excess cost and possible Carfax report.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:57 PM
cribbsjy

OP, your title will still be clean. Perhaps you mean the Vehicle History Report (Autocheck, Carfax) is now dirty? If so, then don't worry too much about it. You would be hard-pressed to find a car that has a completely clean VHR.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:42 PM
jaykellogg

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you take an insurance check and don't have the car repaired at a professional body shop, the Insurance company may list the car as "not repaired" and this could make it awkward getting another check out of them. Also, once it goes through insurance, the Carfax will be affected (Body shop or self repaired).

I guess if it were me, I would ask your dealer what effect (if any) it will have on the value of the car. If the dealer answers that it will be a substantial reduction in value then I would ask them to put it in writing and ask the insurance company for compensation.

One option no one has mentioned is to either sell the car or trade it as is. That way you don't have to deal with getting it repaired and then have a blemish on the Carfax. I did this on my 350Z. It was much worse than your car, but the airbags were good and the car was driveable. Insurance was going to total it. I bought it back for $950 (2004 350Z roadster with 108,000 miles) and put it on Craigslist for $3200. It sold in about an hour. I probably could have sold 4 or 5 of them. Assuming your dealer has a bodyshop, they might take it as is on trade and run it through the body shop.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:56 PM
nassiris90

Originally Posted by cribbsjy
OP, your title will still be clean. Perhaps you mean the Vehicle History Report (Autocheck, Carfax) is now dirty? If so, then don't worry too much about it. You would be hard-pressed to find a car that has a completely clean VHR.
Yes, I'm sorry. I did in fact mean to refer to the Carfax. Thanks, I'm just hoping that when I DO decide to sell the car, potential buyers wont be scared off.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:58 PM
nassiris90

Originally Posted by Rad_Slinger
That $2500 comment I made was what a dealer told me when I was trading a car a while back. Asked if there was ever any damage from a single accident that was over $2500. When asked why, he said that if it was over $2500 it would show up on the carfax if it was. That's all he said and he didn't get into specifics.

Looking at the pics again, it seems the damage is worse than when I looked quickly them before. Still....doesn't look really bad.
Well, I guess it will be reported in that case. I just got an update from my insurance adjuster, he said he's estimated around $8900 in repairs and replacement parts. I cant believe this is going to cost 1/3 of what I paid for the car! On a more positive note, brand new headlights just arrived at the body shop!
Old 03-11-2013, 08:01 PM
nassiris90

Originally Posted by jaykellogg
If you take an insurance check and don't have the car repaired at a professional body shop, the Insurance company may list the car as "not repaired" and this could make it awkward getting another check out of them. Also, once it goes through insurance, the Carfax will be affected (Body shop or self repaired).

I guess if it were me, I would ask your dealer what effect (if any) it will have on the value of the car. If the dealer answers that it will be a substantial reduction in value then I would ask them to put it in writing and ask the insurance company for compensation.

One option no one has mentioned is to either sell the car or trade it as is. That way you don't have to deal with getting it repaired and then have a blemish on the Carfax. I did this on my 350Z. It was much worse than your car, but the airbags were good and the car was driveable. Insurance was going to total it. I bought it back for $950 (2004 350Z roadster with 108,000 miles) and put it on Craigslist for $3200. It sold in about an hour. I probably could have sold 4 or 5 of them. Assuming your dealer has a bodyshop, they might take it as is on trade and run it through the body shop.

I'll be sure to ask about the impact my accident will have on value. If its a number that is substantial, I'll push to have compensation in addition to repairs. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to have the repairs done on my own accord at some later point, as I'm a full-time student and soon to take the MCAT. This incident has already been a headache, and I dont think I could deal with it without the help of insurance and the body shop. However, I also had a 350z! Everyone called me a traitor when I bought a G haha. Thats great that you were able to sell your car for so much higher!
Old 03-12-2013, 12:04 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
^^The term you're looking for is diminished value.

$9K in damages, while not a complete total, is not a fender bender either. 25% of msrp, give or take, or more. I'd definitely be seeking some sort of compensation for diminished value.

Has fault been assigned to the front leading driver?
Old 03-12-2013, 12:51 AM
esquesk

Originally Posted by Jsolo
^^The term you're looking for is diminished value.

$9K in damages, while not a complete total, is not a fender bender either. 25% of msrp, give or take, or more. I'd definitely be seeking some sort of compensation for diminished value.

Has fault been assigned to the front leading driver?
Had a similar thing happen to me awhile ago and went through the process documented in the thread below;

Let me know if you need the support. I got a pretty penny out of it

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...hed-value.html
Old 03-12-2013, 08:04 AM
jaykellogg

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well if your repair is over 1/3 of retail value in NC, you would be in a position of giving a "damage disclosure" when you trade or sell the car This is required by law in NC. Check your local laws.

When i lived in Iowa there were a lot of folks rebuilding wrecks. I did severl myself. I could always sell them at about 70% of book value (You almost never get full book even for very clean used car). The selling price was "close" to what I would have sold it for as a used car private sale. Here in NC, the deduct for a branded title is more like 50%. If you are in a damage disclosure situation, you are real close to a branded title. I would keep pictures of the car damaged.

The longer you keep the car, the less effect it will have on the selling price.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:06 PM
G37FrEEk

good luck man

Quick Reply: Goodbye Clean Title....