Sponsored By:

Need some help deciding!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 11:31 AM
stevehl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some help deciding!!!

Hey guys,

I currently drive a 08 350z and I am not too happy with my ride. I'm riding on d2 coils, which for the money are great, but im looking for something a lot more comfortable. I know a lot of 350z owners upgrade to a g37 so maybe you guys could help me with my problem. Should I upgrade to a g for the comfort or should I get a good quality set of coils for the 350z like kw or bilsteins? I like both cars, but am looking mainly for comfort. The z is a couple months away from being paid off, and I would most likely owe 7-9k in payments if I traded in the z for a g. Has anyone riden in a 350z with kw coils and compared it with the stock comfort of a g? What am I better off doing??
Old 02-12-2013, 11:45 AM
Kevalteam

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts
Go test drive a G37! then decide. It all depends are you willing to spend the money. cause paid off car is awesome IMO. you can save up and get G37 later with mods. Well GL OP!
Old 02-12-2013, 12:53 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Better off is a matter of perspective really. It depends on how much money you have to blow. The least expensive solution that may solve your problem is to buy a set of Swift springs for your coilovers. They should make a very noticeable difference in your ride quality and handling even with your current dampers. For $350 you may find all the comfort you want and be happy with your Z again. Even if that doesn't give you enough of a comfortable ride, you tried it and you're not out of a lot of money and you can always resell them to recoup most of the money you spent. Much cheaper than buying a new car.

Option B is as you stated, buying a better quality set of coil overs with a more comfortable ride. The KW you mentioned would probably fit that bill and only cost you a couple grand. Depending on the spring rates and lengths of both, if the Swift coilover springs don't make the D2 comfortable enough you might be able swap them over to the KW for even more comfort. If not sell them and buy the right ones for eh KW and see if you like that better. Still cheaper than buying a new car.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:50 PM
ellovesu

Originally Posted by Kevalteam
Go test drive a G37! then decide. It all depends are you willing to spend the money. cause paid off car is awesome IMO. you can save up and get G37 later with mods. Well GL OP!
Good call Hyok !
Old 02-13-2013, 01:50 AM
stevehl

Don't know why I never thought about test driving it. Might have to do that this weekend and see how it rides. Sorry for the noob question, but do Infiniti dealers have older/used cars on the lot? Or is it just the 12/13 models?? I plan on getting an 08 or 09 as I dont think there is much difference among the years in terms of interior design. I know the fronts vary
Old 02-13-2013, 02:03 AM
ellovesu

Of course, every dealer has per-owned lots. Ps: you could always go on any particular infiniti's dealer website and check what it has for pre-owned.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:39 AM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
Go with what BB said. If you test drive, you'll want to drive home with a G. Trust me on this one. If it's for interior amenities, the G definitely has much for than the Z. It is better damped for sound and has more "bells and whistles," and just feels more for the road and less for the track.

If it's for ride quality, you can probably make the Z and G comparable with the right suspension. Upgrading coilovers will probably be the best bet. Though comfortable with a better set of springs, matching it with the right shock (Koni) still will not give you as comfortable a ride as a quality coilover. If it's just for ride quality, then I would redo suspension. If it's for all the other stuff, then I would look at the G.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:00 PM
Dr.Pat

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by SwissCheeseHead
If it's just for ride quality, then I would redo suspension. If it's for all the other stuff, then I would look at the G.
+1 if your only complaint is the ride comfort, then that's an easy fix, but if you want a nicer interior with more bells and whistles then there's no point in dropping more money into your Z...just get the G
Old 02-13-2013, 05:05 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Go to Infiniti USA's web site, dealer locator and plug in your zip and a mile radius you want to search .... find the dealers and go to their sites and search inventory.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:22 AM
stevehl

^^thanks for the help and ideas guys.

Yes comfort is my main goal, and I'm sure a quality set like kw3 would achieve that. But now I'm starting to like the interior and classy exterior of the g a lot more now. I love my z and the way it looks but i feel I'm getting a little too old for it.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:38 PM
stevehl

Looks like ill be active on this forum a lot more now. I have my mind set and scheduled a test drive for this sat, and even ordered a motordyne e370 exhaust already!!! puaha. Getting mods before I even have the car...
Old 02-14-2013, 03:16 PM
Dr.Pat

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Why would you order an exhaust before you even test drive the car??? Don't you think you're jumping the gun a little?
Old 02-14-2013, 04:53 PM
stevehl

Test drove a sedan not too long ago and loved it. I'm sure ill love the coupe too
Old 02-15-2013, 12:24 PM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
You have to schedule for a test drive? Wouldn't you just go up to the dealer and just test drive one.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:46 PM
stevehl

^^Yea I could do that as well. But as I was shopping around for prices I got an email asking if I wanted to schedule a test drive and just went ahead with it

Quick Reply: Need some help deciding!!!