Sponsored By:

Tiny Rust Spots All Over Car

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 06:05 PM
APD422

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tiny Rust Spots All Over Car

Hey everyone!

So I have a Moonlight White 2009 G37S Coupe with about 43k miles on it. For the past few days, I have been noticing these weird tiny rusting spots all over my car. I've tried to rub them off but it leave a little black spot. TheY are especially bad on the trunk area.

Any idea what is wrong with the paint? Is there a solution to this?

Thank you everyone!!
Old 02-11-2013, 06:07 PM
TheGanglyGoon

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Clay bar it and see what happens. then check back in with us
Old 02-11-2013, 06:34 PM
Gio37
Registered Member

Received 244 Likes on 166 Posts
By any chance do you park near a fabrication shop where they do a lot of metal grinding ?

......or did you visit such place recently ?
Old 02-11-2013, 06:51 PM
APD422

Thank you so much for everyones quick response. I tried to clay the car and these marks come right off! The clayed surface is so much smoother capared to the non-clayed surface.

Thanks again!
Old 02-11-2013, 08:23 PM
JPSBLACKG37

Received 85 Likes on 57 Posts
FYI OP what you have on your car is rail dust, shows up bad on white cars, a good clay barring as gangly goon has posted will cure it
Old 02-11-2013, 10:07 PM
UncleFunkle
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Freckles are cute, leave them and get a red roof overlay and have a Ginger37

Old 02-11-2013, 10:52 PM
MyocyteX

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Clay bar, exactly... Now make sure to get a good coat of wax on. Wax on, wax off.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:09 PM
Gio37
Registered Member

Received 244 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by MyocyteX
Clay bar, exactly... Now make sure to get a good coat of wax on. Wax on, wax off.
Name:  hands_zps451637b1.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  9.7 KB
Old 02-12-2013, 02:30 AM
Gspotkilla

scary.. I hate rust.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:36 AM
JaySin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This just happened on my 4 month old 2013 Moonlight White G37x coupe YESTERDAY. Mine is ONLY on the rear end...spoiler, bumper and vertical part of my trunk lid...nowhere else. The strange thing is I had mine clay bared at the dealer upon delivery. I'm making them do it again. On top of this I have, for the third time, a 'service engine soon' light. It's my transmission fluid temp sensor. It thinks it's going over the temp threshold even though it's not. Infiniti is investigating. Not to mention the paint is super thin as it is. I'm questioning Infiniti's quality control now.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:40 AM
MP-In-The-Wind
Registered Member

Artillery Spores?

...not sure where you are...but around here (Massachusetts) we had artillery spores...which will cause these dots. Have you parked near mulch piles recently.... (if you're under snow like we are, forget this! )
Old 02-13-2013, 12:06 PM
JaySin

I'm in suburbs of SE Michigan...yes, we have snow right now. I drive from home to work and back...not much else with this car. It's a garaged car. Unless my garage door is spawning tons of metal dust (not a problem with my last car or my wife's Jeep) I can't figure out why it's happening...not to mention it's only the VERY rear of the car.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:13 PM
sydnrusty
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
i'm not far from you (across the border from detroit) and i noticed these spots all over both of my doors and the back of the car 2 weeks ago. i just washed the car (yes, outside in the freezing cold) and with some hard work they did eventually come off. i've never used a clay bar but will probably do so in the spring before i wax the car.
they use TONS of salt on the roads around here and my theory is the surface rust that's created on the brake rotors sprays out as you're driving and dots the sides and rear of the vehicle. it's ugly to look at but it doesn't appear to be structural at all. my wife's rav4 gets the same thing.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:11 PM
JaySin

Originally Posted by sydnrusty
i'm not far from you (across the border from detroit) and i noticed these spots all over both of my doors and the back of the car 2 weeks ago. i just washed the car (yes, outside in the freezing cold) and with some hard work they did eventually come off. i've never used a clay bar but will probably do so in the spring before i wax the car.
they use TONS of salt on the roads around here and my theory is the surface rust that's created on the brake rotors sprays out as you're driving and dots the sides and rear of the vehicle. it's ugly to look at but it doesn't appear to be structural at all. my wife's rav4 gets the same thing.
Your theory has been confirmed. Infiniti is telling me that their white paint is susceptible...combined with the type of brake pads used...and the road salt. I've got it all over my car now...not just the rear. They have offered to polish, clay bar and wax my entire car (again). So, yes...it's a pain to deal with, but at least they're doing something about it. I guess I'll just apply about 3-4 coats of wax next fall BEFORE the snow/salt and hope for the best. Perhaps I should get ceramic brake pads as well.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:27 PM
farmurr

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by UncleFunkle
Freckles are cute, leave them and get a red roof overlay and have a Ginger37

Quick Reply: Tiny Rust Spots All Over Car