Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Dealer scammed me please help

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 07:23 PM
bapishere

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer scammed me please help

Just purchased a 2009 g37x with 43k miles. So it seemed everything was ok till I got inside. The passenger heated seat button is broke. The wood grain door trim is cracked on driver side and passenger side is missing. Luckily I got the extended warranted, gap, and tire warranty. So I was advised at the dealer they would cover it and fix/replace it free of charge. Parts are already being ordered. Keep in mind I did not purchase it at an infiniti dealership. So the car fax was clean no accidents and one female owner. Here's where it gets interesting, I purchased all interior led's license plate led and reverse lights. Yesterday when the guy was doing the install he told me my car was hit from behind on the driver side. I said no way how do you know? He told me that the license plate cover lamps had white overspray on it. Some guy not that smart didn't take off the lamp covers and sprayed over it. He also showed it to me and suggested I should get new ones from the dealer because it will emit more light through and look better. It looks bright to me however, they will be even brighter once I get new clear lamp covers so all the light shines through. He also said he had a difficult time getting the left driver side lamp out and no problems with the right side. That's how he knows its been hit from the driver side. I am super pissed. I need advice when I go back to the dealer. What should I say? And how can they compensate me for that or give me anything extra??? The car rides smooth and looks clean you can never tell it was hit.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:41 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
If the damage to the car was under $2500, it doesn't get reported to car fax. This is what I was told when my old Altima got hit and went to go trade it in at the dealer.

Idk if there's anything you can do. You took delivery of the vehicle. The smart thing would have been to not take delivery until all items were fixed to your satisfaction.

Good luck though.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:54 PM
Track Bandit

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
If the car was damaged and the dealer didn't let you know that before you bought it, and then you found out later from another mechanic, in most states that is considered fraud and the dealer can be made to take back the car and or give you some form of compensation for the deception. Given what you know now, you should get the car thoroughly inspected and then file a complaint with the state's consumer division if they have one or even the attorney general office for fraud. I would also talk to a lawyer to see what other options you might have. You definitely should be able to get some compensation for that deception. Good luck.

Al
Old 02-10-2013, 07:58 PM
tmmueller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
probably superficial, no frame damage of any sort, etc. just enjoy it, it's yours now. If it rides good don't worry about it. You could get a lawyer but the dealer probably didn't know it was hit either. Clean car fax, etc. just not much you can do. The lawyer would have to prove the dealer was knowingly deceptive. It would be costly to go after them...
Old 02-10-2013, 08:24 PM
tejasg37x

If someone has a car repaired without going through insurance, it won't be reported either. If the Carfax doesn't report it, how would the dealer know either?
Old 02-10-2013, 08:25 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Track Bandit
If the car was damaged and the dealer didn't let you know that before you bought it, and then you found out later from another mechanic, in most states that is considered fraud and the dealer can be made to take back the car and or give you some form of compensation for the deception. Given what you know now, you should get the car thoroughly inspected and then file a complaint with the state's consumer division if they have one or even the attorney general office for fraud. I would also talk to a lawyer to see what other options you might have. You definitely should be able to get some compensation for that deception. Good luck.

Al
In order for the above to happen, you would have to have some proof that the dealer knew it was damaged and sold it to you anyway without telling you. And with a clear car fax....not likely you have that proof.

Near impossible
Old 02-10-2013, 09:57 PM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
^this. no proof dealer knew, too bad.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:46 PM
jaykellogg

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If it was major the dealer should make it right (refund purchase price). I haven't heard anything yet to indicate it was more than a repainted rear bumper. If that is the case, that is what (sometimes) happens when you buy used.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:40 AM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
You should have had the vehicle looked at by a mechanic before you even purchased it. If there is no frame damage or anything beyond than you'll be fine. You wouldn't even know why they repainted the bumper. Could be an accident, could be scratches, some dents.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:57 AM
PrinceValium

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by quakerroatmeal
You should have had the vehicle looked at by a mechanic before you even purchased it. If there is no frame damage or anything beyond than you'll be fine. You wouldn't even know why they repainted the bumper. Could be an accident, could be scratches, some dents.
I find it humorous when someone says that...its not like the motor was not running right etc. Taking it to a mechanic and saying find a problem with this vehicle is costly. You end up paying the mechanic to find a problem, you pay the mechanic, and don't buy the vehicle. I bet the number of people that do this are few and far between. (which is why I buy certified used usually and they have to cover the vehicle)

I do agree with you in that it might not have been an accident as to why the bumper was sprayed again...it could have been superficial scratches they wanted to cover etc.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:08 AM
Supremee
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tmmueller
probably superficial, no frame damage of any sort, etc. just enjoy it, it's yours now. If it rides good don't worry about it. You could get a lawyer but the dealer probably didn't know it was hit either. Clean car fax, etc. just not much you can do. The lawyer would have to prove the dealer was knowingly deceptive. It would be costly to go after them...
I agree with whs ^ Just enjoy the car bro. It was probably a minor thing. No big deal. Like everyone else says, theres no way in telling if the dealer really knew it was in any little fender bender if it isnt on the carfax.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:19 AM
Gspotkilla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if it looks new and no damage reports, it should be ok. must have been a small fender bender.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:24 AM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
[QUOTE=PrinceValium;3586509]I find it humorous when someone says that...its not like the motor was not running right etc. Taking it to a mechanic and saying find a problem with this vehicle is costly. You end up paying the mechanic to find a problem, you pay the mechanic, and don't buy the vehicle. I bet the number of people that do this are few and far between. (which is why I buy certified used usually and they have to cover the vehicle)/QUOTE]

What are you talking about? It's not going to cost thousands of dollars to have a mechanic over look a vehicle for you. I've called around and it was anywhere from 35-65 $.

You take it to a mechanic..he'll throw it on the rack and tell you if there's frame damage, or if the vehicle has been in an accident, if it's been repainted and so on.

Or you can buy it without the mechanic looking at it and the car has frame damage or has been in a severe accident. Now you're screwed.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:16 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I'm holding a report on a used car that I am considering buying. It cost $99.95 and it lists everything they could find wrong with the car. The car has a clean Carfax, but Carfax doesn't tell me that it has a cracked AC belt that needs replacement, the sunroof is inoperable, the rear lower control arms need replacement, an inner tie rod is loose, there is a small leak from the lower oil pan, a leaking solenoid in the upper oil pan, the steering gear box is leaking, the rear drive shaft joint is coming apart, the passenger seat will not incline or recline, the trunk light isn't working, the fuel filter hasn't ever been replaced, and the spare tire and jack are missing. How much of that would anyone know form a Carfax or inspecting it yourself? Judging from many of the comments and questions routinely posted on this forum, I'm going to say very, very few of us.

If you can't/won't afford $100 for a full inspection by someone qualified who knows what they are looking for before buying a used car, you either 1) are putting yourself in a position to be disappointed and it's your own fault, or 2) have no business buying a used car because you have no clue what to look for you are doing and you'll end up whining later about something you discovered after the fact and making a thread about it when $100 could have avoided it. Hopefully OP learned a lesson and so will anyone else reading this. If you are confident in your mechanical skill that you can find everything wrong with a car by inspecting it yourself, then do it and live with anything that you miss. If not, pay someone qualified. Even then they may not catch everything. You are buying a used car ant there is ALWAYS risk in that, caveat emptor. The person or dealership selling it has no responsibility or motivation to try to discover every defect on the car. In this particular case, it is entirely possible and IMO probable that the dealership didn't know about it either. I can't really know that for sure.

I don't mean to rant, but if reading this posts saves even one person form doing something foolish, then it was worth it. OP, it doesn't sound to me like you got scammed by anyone, it sounds like you didn't do your job as a buyer and got a car that has some previous damage that the seller may or may not have known about. You'll never know. But you should have found that yourself before giving them your money. Maybe you have learned how to do it right next time. Best of luck in the future.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:52 AM
tmmueller

BB always coming with the knowledge. He's right. IMO, if the car looks great and drives great then I usually just go for it. One thing that I always want is a significant amount of powertrain warranty left on any used car I buy. Engine/tranny issues are so expensive you can't afford to not have that. If you have a couple years worth of warranty most problems will show up, if they already exist, during that timespan. BB's right though, who ever takes a used car to a mechanic, not many of us. We're all pumped up to be getting the car, etc and we just take things for face value. Now, if no warranty exists then it is well worth it to pay for a major inspection before buying.

Quick Reply: Dealer scammed me please help