Sponsored By:

Dealer scammed me please help

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 02:13 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by bapishere
Just purchased a 2009 g37x with 43k miles. So it seemed everything was ok till I got inside. The passenger heated seat button is broke. The wood grain door trim is cracked on driver side and passenger side is missing. Luckily I got the extended warranted, gap, and tire warranty. So I was advised at the dealer they would cover it and fix/replace it free of charge. Parts are already being ordered. Keep in mind I did not purchase it at an infiniti dealership. So the car fax was clean no accidents and one female owner. Here's where it gets interesting, I purchased all interior led's license plate led and reverse lights. Yesterday when the guy was doing the install he told me my car was hit from behind on the driver side. I said no way how do you know? He told me that the license plate cover lamps had white overspray on it. Some guy not that smart didn't take off the lamp covers and sprayed over it. He also showed it to me and suggested I should get new ones from the dealer because it will emit more light through and look better. It looks bright to me however, they will be even brighter once I get new clear lamp covers so all the light shines through. He also said he had a difficult time getting the left driver side lamp out and no problems with the right side. That's how he knows its been hit from the driver side. I am super pissed. I need advice when I go back to the dealer. What should I say? And how can they compensate me for that or give me anything extra??? The car rides smooth and looks clean you can never tell it was hit.
You stated you didn't buy it at the Infiniti dealership?

Buying a used car from a dealer that does not sell that brand as a mew car dealer is touchy at best.

When an Infiniti dealership takes an Infiniti on a trade in, and that car won't pass as a CPO inspection, it goes to either a wholesaler, or an auction.
You will then find that car Uncle Joes used car lot on the corner, or a Ford dealer that needs a pool of cars to keep their guys selling.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:33 PM
ZenZiglar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You could get rear ended tomorrow, have it fixed by insurance, and drive on.

Just enjoy what you have!
Old 02-12-2013, 09:03 PM
Varjo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by TVPostSound
You stated you didn't buy it at the Infiniti dealership?

Buying a used car from a dealer that does not sell that brand as a mew car dealer is touchy at best.

When an Infiniti dealership takes an Infiniti on a trade in, and that car won't pass as a CPO inspection, it goes to either a wholesaler, or an auction.
You will then find that car Uncle Joes used car lot on the corner, or a Ford dealer that needs a pool of cars to keep their guys selling.
It's not always a bad idea... sometimes dealers get nice cars for trade ins and figure they'll move quickly..... that being said, I would be much for comfortable buying from the brand dealer in general.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:31 PM
chairman25

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree, "Betty" is right. Be a smart consumer. Have the car looked at by an independent mechanic before you buy it. If the dealer/seller resists or refuses, run the other direction. But since it is too late, take your lumps and enjoy the car. For your own piece of mind, you may still want to know all of the "bad news" consider an inspection now. Also remember that a CPO warranty is only available from a dealer that sells the brand (a Toyota dealer cannot CPO an Infiniti).
Old 02-13-2013, 05:10 PM
bapishere

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. I would say it was partially my fault or maybe all of fault on my part. I was unaware you can take a car to a mechanic at a dealership to a private mechanic. I thought this was only for a private sell not at the dealer since they have mechanics their i thought all vehichles were inspected. However, the car does drive GREAT!! no problems there.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:34 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Would it help if I posted the one I got recently for people to see?
Old 02-13-2013, 07:18 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by speedracer g37
^this. no proof dealer knew, too bad.
If you don't know something, please do give bad advice.

That's not true, if the dealer took the car as a trade in, the original owner signed an affidavit stating the vehicle has no damage.
So if they did that's fraud that they would be liable & the dealer could sue them for misrepresentation. Especially an auto accident.
Since the dealer isn't going to want to take a loss. But sometimes they eat things here & there part of doing business.

Also when the dealer sells a car, it's not as is.
They also sign a statement that the car has never been hit & is fit to operate on public roads & highways.
Get a third party that states in writing, they will not be able to slide off.
This is on the odometer statement.
All he has to show is the car has been damaged & bs the dealer didnt know.
The burden of proof is on the dealership, he spent large cash.
If they buy/sell cars it's impossible to not know, it's your business.

When I traded in my g, the mitsubishi dealer knew I had the long block assembly replaced under warranty. They knew All about it, I didn't tell them
I'd make them get you another one, same model from whosaler/auction.
We all know no matter how good the repair, it's never the same.
Maybe not so much for a rear hit, I'd give that car back.

It's cheaper for them to locate & wheel & deal with a wholesaler to get you another car.

Had a similar situation a very long time ago, that's what I did.
Just my .02

It cost me a grand for auction fee, but I got a clean car with no hits.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:25 PM
RANDY350Z
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Its not out of the ordinary to ask a shop or a mechanic to look at a used car you are interested in. Just because a dealer has it you can ask them if they mind you having a mechanic or shop look at it to find out what you are getting into. It will cost you about 100.00 to 150.00 but to me thats worth it if you really want that car. If a dealer or selller declines that offer I wouldnt by the car. now on topic:

If your state requires vehicles to be inspected you can request the inspection report. If it is disclosed in the report the dealer would know and at that point you have a case.

Your state should also have a stipulation that you can return a motor vehicle after 48 to 76 hours after purchase including if you financed it.

But if there is no damage and just a semi good paint job ask the dealer to cover half or all of the cost to repaint the bumper to a shop of your choice.