Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Climate Controls and Radio Controls Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 09:18 PM
rshodunke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Climate Controls and Radio Controls Not Working - Update : Solved

Hi,

This is my first day as a member and I've got a question that I have not been able to find a definitive answer to for the 37. I have a 2008 G37S coupe with the preimium Bose System, and on Monday my Climate Controls, radio volume buttons, as well as the nav and all other controls on the center console stopped working. The screen is still functioning and the radio itself is still playing music. However, I can only control the radio through the steering wheel controls.

I took the car to my local stereo and alarm shop and they looked behind the console and stated that the harness for the controls appear to be bad. They went on to say that the harness for the ac controls and the radio controls are all integrated together and that to fix it would require replacing the entire factory radio. I have made an appointment with the dealership for Monday. Has anyone else encountered this problem with their controls dying.

Update: Just got back from the dealership. Unfortunately the guys at the sound shop were right. The circuit board for the ac and radio controls is bad and has to he replaced, and due to it being connected to the radio, the radio must be replaced as well. The service guy said that the problem is fairly common and that it was a silly decision for the engineers to do the system thay way. The total for both of them replaced and installed is $1,635. They had to be ordered so I will have it replaced next week. Damn shame my warranty just expired. Time to invest in an extended one.

Last edited by rshodunke; 01-21-2013 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Problem Solved and update
Old 01-18-2013, 11:20 PM
muyrec
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
How in the world can a harness be bad? Did they specified? burnt? cut up? need more info. Also, why replace radio when the harness is bad? common sense dictates replacing harness. Stay away from that shop lol.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:55 PM
jon23

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by muyrec
How in the world can a harness be bad? Did they specified? burnt? cut up? need more info. Also, why replace radio when the harness is bad? common sense dictates replacing harness. Stay away from that shop lol.

Yeah, sounds shady replacing the whole radio to fix the radio itself and the climate controls... Hopefully it's something small like a fuse, did you check those beforehand?
Old 01-19-2013, 01:03 AM
rshodunke

Yeah, all of the fuses are good. When speaking with one of the service guys from the dealership to schedule my appointment I told him what the tech from the shop said and he did say that the wiring or something for the controls is together with the radio unit. The only other thing i found on the net about this was with a G35. Here is the link.

Climate Control and Radio Controls NOT Working??? - G35Driver

If it is the radio this is crazy because I already had the radio replaced once due to the seemingly common cd being stuck in the deck problem. Wouldn't surprise me if the one I have now is refurbished.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:06 AM
rshodunke

He didnt give an exact description. I dont know if he tested the wires for power or what. He just stated that it was bad and that the wire harness or something is shared with the wires for the radio and that to fix it you would need to get a new unit from the dealership which would have a new harness.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:52 AM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
Please keep this post updated as many of us have 08s and could be a good reference if this were to happen to one of us as well. GL with the problem. I hope it's not too bad.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:32 PM
mikeg

had that problem found one of the ac fan speeds button stuck in pop it out started working
Old 01-21-2013, 10:59 AM
solarg37

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
hope it works out
Old 01-21-2013, 03:43 PM
rshodunke

Problem solved. Update in original post
Old 01-21-2013, 05:07 PM
jon23

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ouch! expensive fix. It better last...