Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Good and bad about my G37S coupe

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 02:39 PM
jaykellogg

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good and bad about my G37S coupe

I recently bought a 2008 G37s coupe. I have had more than one stranger say "what a nice car" to me. My previous car was a 2004 Nissan 350Z. I am seeing the same things that I like/don't like on my new car as my old. It seems like Nissan does a fine job with the engine and electrical. In over 4 years all I replaced on the Z was the driver's seat switch and both plastic clips that hold that hold up the inside sunvisors. The Z had 42,000 on it when I bought it and I had it reupholstered and replaced the soft top. The Infiniti has 56,000 miles and has some interior "problems". Both door pull aluminum covers have deteriorated to the point where I took them off and stripped them. I then polished the aluminum bright. The aluminum stripe on the drivers door inside is showing some finish loss as well. The black frame around the driver's airbag is losing some paint. I would like to take it off, but I think it'll be simpler to repaint it in place. The leather seats are still intact and the only issue is they don't shine as much as I think they ought. Perhaps they need cleaned. If anyone has a suggestion throw it out. (Please do not suggest Armor All.) The only other deterioration I am dealing with is the top bar on the grille. The chrome is pealing on the plastic. I ordered another grille.

Let me know what you like about the car and what you would like to see improved. If I hadn't liked my Z I wouldn't have jumped so quickly on the Infiniti.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:26 PM
Dr.Pat

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
I've only had my car for a year so I don't have as much experience with mine as u do with yours, but so far I have no complaints. What doesn't come on the car from the factory is readily available through aftermarket companies. The only thing that I'm disappointed in is the lack of more aggressive rear trunk spoilers.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:03 PM
TheGanglyGoon

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Everyone's cars have these problems, especially with the 08's. I replaced all of my scratched and dinged pieces and conditioned my leather and I couldn't be happier with my car...
Old 01-13-2013, 05:16 PM
audtatious

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My '08 has over 60k and the only interior problem I have is two small dings in the door panel caused by the seat belt and some cracking of the leather seat. The aluminum is mint on the door and entryway.

From the exterior I have a couple rock chips on the nose around the headlights (rock guard installed) and a couple on the grille.

The condition depends on how well an owner takes care of the vehicle. Sounds like the prior owners didn't care much.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:28 PM
jon23

The steering wheel bezel can be ordered separately, it'll save you the work and look brand new. The new part will also come with the revised finish, that doesn't peel off as easy.

The aluminum door handles trim is a known issue, you can also have those replaced with the revised parts, or just polish them like you did.

Your leather should not be shiny. If it shines, it's because it is dirty. I used Leatherique to restore the leather and just got some conditioner called Lexol, which I have not tried yet. But the Leatherique is an awesome product, you won't believe how much filth it will remove from your seats! You'll end up with soft and a grayish leather, like when it was new. If your seats are as bad as mine were, you'll need to repeat the process twice.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:33 PM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
The steering wheel can be replaced under warranty for the stripping of the bezel. There is a list of 08 TSB's on the sight for known "issues".
Old 01-13-2013, 07:17 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Circle Infiniti sells the new steering frame bezel that doesn't chip off on ebay for 30 bucks.

New Infiniti G35 G37 Sedan Black Steering Wheel Trim Bezel w Tech Pkg | eBay

Well worth it for something you see and touch every day.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:39 PM
Dgglr

if only they had a $30 fix for the seat bubble...uggggh ok fine trying not to bring that up again, but really possible one of the most ugly seat bubbles in the game (at least on the graphite leather)
Old 01-13-2013, 10:36 PM
jaykellogg

Originally Posted by cereal2k
The steering wheel can be replaced under warranty for the stripping of the bezel. There is a list of 08 TSB's on the sight for known "issues".
I have about 9 months of powertrain warranty left. Do you think the steering wheel would still be covered?

Is it hard to do yourself? I have rebuilt cars from junkyard wrecks.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:05 PM
Gio37
Registered Member

Received 244 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by jaykellogg
I have about 9 months of powertrain warranty left. Do you think the steering wheel would still be covered?

Steering wheel cover DIY
Old 01-13-2013, 11:33 PM
jon23

Originally Posted by jaykellogg

Unfortunately the steering wheel would be covered under the Base Warranty.

Your Drivetrain warranty ends at 6 year/70K miles, whichever comes first, which means you're good on that one, unless you have a lot of miles on your G.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:24 AM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
'08, 72k miles .... no seat bubble issues. A few scratches around the steering wheel and that's it. I have a theory on this as the car is my wife's daily driver and I believe women and their rings contribute to the scratches.

Yes, a G35 styled spoiler would be nice but the current OEM one is better than the stock chrome lip. No complaints with the car. A fan of the brand we bought a '12 M37x as well.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:05 AM
jaykellogg

Originally Posted by cruzmisl
Circle Infiniti sells the new steering frame bezel that doesn't chip off on ebay for 30 bucks.

New Infiniti G35 G37 Sedan Black Steering Wheel Trim Bezel w Tech Pkg | eBay

Well worth it for something you see and touch every day.
I ordered the trim, but I ordered the one for a coupe (not sure what the difference is). He only had one available.

Regarding my original post, I feel Nissan makes very good cars, I just wish they would make the interiors a bit more substantial. I bought my coupe about an hour after it was traded and I bought it "as-is" except for repairing the TPMS. I had two dead sensors and took it to Nissan as per the dealer's suggestion. If the other two sensors STB, I will have a tire store install them and I will do the pairing to the car myself.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:10 PM
Troy Hipolito

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2009 G37S. I dont have many interior issues.

But the warrantee is for 60,000 miles. So you can bring it to the dealer and they will replace those things for free.

I know this because I made the dealer replace my steering wheel and shifter **** for free.

It is beyond normal wear and tear - so it is under warrantee.

-Troy
Old 02-02-2013, 08:30 PM
Dgglr

The bad: coupe rear end when w/o the spoiler has a chopped/wedge kinda look that makes it appear incomplete

Quick Reply: Good and bad about my G37S coupe