G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Any tips on parallel parking with back up cam?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 03:36 PM
ramus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any tips on parallel parking with back up cam?

Hey guys, my G37 has back up camera but I don't really see a use for it except to know exactly how far I can back up into something.

When you are parallel parking into a spot, should the yellow projectory line be overlapping the curb as I back in or should it be just away from the curb?

I know it's a dumb question but if you could share some of your tips on using the back up camera effectively, I would be very thankful!
Old 01-10-2013, 03:48 PM
Gio37
Registered Member

Received 244 Likes on 166 Posts
What I do is I tilt my passenger mirror down to see how far Im away from the curb and just use the camera to see how far Im from the car behind me.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:58 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Advice: don't hit any of the other parked cars.

:P
Old 01-10-2013, 03:59 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
The dotted yellow line is pretty accurate in showing the exact path of travel of the sides of the car. If the yellow line is hitting the curb, your wheels will hit the curb. Turn so that the lines don't hit anything and neither will the car. After you park notice where the lines are. Then get out and check how closely the lines on the camera match up with your actual position.

The backing distance hash markings are at 18", 3', and 6' if I remember correctly. I'm not 100% sure about that.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:06 AM
solarg37

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
i always forget to use it,

also most luxury cars the side mirors will tilt down when backing up but not ours of course !
Old 01-11-2013, 02:17 AM
alanz
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Advice: don't parallel park if you don't have to
Old 01-11-2013, 08:42 AM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
I have the little round convex blind spot mirrors for the specific purpose of not hitting the curb when I have to park on the street. I find that to be most useful. I use the back up came to make sure I'm not backing up into anything.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:00 PM
dholmblad
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I parallel park every day because my housing situation requires it... I would not overlap the lines on the curb, as this may lead to running your tires into the curb.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:17 PM
cribbsjy

My advice would be to learn the dimensions of your car and not depend on the technology to park your ride. What if your camera goes out, or something else unexpected happens that renders the camera useless? Knowing how to properly parallel park is something that everyone should know how to do, whether or not you live in a conjested area.

Sorry for the rant, but I hate it when people can't parallel park and either cause traffic issues, or ding other cars. I can't believe some manufacturers make cars that "park themselves"... no way would I EVER trust that shiz.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:28 PM
burunet

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I always follow the yellow lines...never hit a curb by following the yellow dotted line...
Old 01-11-2013, 02:28 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by cribbsjy
My advice would be to learn the dimensions of your car and not depend on the technology to park your ride. What if your camera goes out, or something else unexpected happens that renders the camera useless? Knowing how to properly parallel park is something that everyone should know how to do, whether or not you live in a conjested area.

Sorry for the rant, but I hate it when people can't parallel park and either cause traffic issues, or ding other cars. I can't believe some manufacturers make cars that "park themselves"... no way would I EVER trust that shiz.
So being skilled at parallel parking gives you the ability to see your back bumper and its exact distance to the car behind you from the driver seat? No. Does a keen sense of spatial awareness let you know the exact arc and position of travel when backing while turning? Of course not. No matter how good you are at parallel parking (or think you are). It's a tool to make a fairly difficult (for most people) driving task much much easier. It doesn't mean you can't drive well any more than using a rear view mirror does. Or power steering. Or any other driving aid that makes driving the car easier.

I can parallel park a semi truck. Had to to get s class A CDL. I still love and use the back up camera when parking. I'd be stupid not to since its there and allows me to do it better.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:07 PM
cribbsjy

At no point in my post did I say, "Don't use the camera." I said, "Don't depend on the camera," (not in those exact words). Of course use it, but still, my best advice is learning how to parallel park without it. Treat it as a *edit*tool, not as something that you NEED to get the job done (*edit* like a crutch).

Last edited by cribbsjy; 01-11-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:16 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

I understand what you are saying, at least I think I do. What I was saying is that no matter how competent you are it's very useful and using it doesn't make you less skilled. What would I do if I didn't have it? Not park as well and have a harder time at it. And I'm good at parallel parking. It makes me much better. It's not a crutch at all. It's a tool.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:40 PM
cribbsjy

Originally Posted by Black Betty
I understand what you are saying, at least I think I do. What I was saying is that no matter how competent you are it's very useful and using it doesn't make you less skilled. What would I do if I didn't have it? Not park as well and have a harder time at it. And I'm good at parallel parking. It makes me much better. It's not a crutch at all. It's a tool.
Crap, I just realized I mistyped. I meant to say, "It's a tool." and then say don't treat it as a crutch hahaha. I will correct my last comment.

It sounds like we are on the same page. I agree that you should use it as a tool; I just don't want people to depend on it (like a crutch).
Old 01-11-2013, 04:23 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by cribbsjy
Crap, I just realized I mistyped. I meant to say, "It's a tool." and then say don't treat it as a crutch hahaha. I will correct my last comment.

It sounds like we are on the same page. I agree that you should use it as a tool; I just don't want people to depend on it (like a crutch).
Gotcha. I think we're basically on the same page.

Quick Reply: Any tips on parallel parking with back up cam?