Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Stalled in pretty deep puddle

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 12:01 AM
dhhG37
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2 years ago I drove through about 18 inches of water in a mall parking lot - the corner of the lot was lower where the drain was. I didn't know that and as I turned the corner my left side dipped low and the car stalled. wouldn't start. The water was just just below the drivers sill (so it may not have even been 18 inches). Long story short, I needed a new engine. $500 deductible. so now my 2008 G has 60,000 miles on the odometer but the engine has only 40,000!

My guess is that I dipped just low enough for the left side intake to get water in it. I have stock intakes and not lowered. and I was only going 2-3 mph.

My guess is that the OP's engine is toast. I was told these engines have little tolerance for water. A Ford Focus could have driven through that puddle and survived.

BTW, it's been over 4 years and I still smile when I get into my car! and I still get compliments - just got one last week from a car detailer at the place where I work and he details a lot of nice high end cars!
Old 01-12-2013, 09:09 AM
daonlyillwiz

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Told ya it was hydrolock, BTW i didnt mean to come off as a **** but i hate when i see people jumping to conclusions without properly understanding the issue at hand because ASSUMING will make you look like an ***.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:10 AM
daonlyillwiz

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

thats how your rod will look if you hydrolock because water cannot be compressed.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:52 AM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
There wasn't enough information to make a proper diagnosis. That's why we kept probing for more info, as in how deep, what kind of intake, suspension etc. You can't go into a forum and say, "Help my car won't start. I drove it to the grocery store the other day. Can you help?" With that kind of info, it could be a million things. People started throwing out possibilities. That's all that happened. People giving suggestions shouldn't be called names or insulted because they're trying to help. Did you diagnose the problem and help find a solution? All you did was discount others' suggestions. The OP's issue is still unresolved. You ruled out one possibility, something that would have eventually been ruled out with more information. Thanks but I think we can handle that without the insults.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:27 PM
Su_G37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealership said they did a diagnostics test and got the car to turn on after a new battery. They said the car was running rough, and it started to smoke. They said there was deffinetly water in the engine but the electrical is still okay. Insurance estimator is going to check it out on monday. Probably going to end up replacing the engine. Do you guys think there would be problems in the future?
Old 01-13-2013, 12:54 PM
DeamonG37s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replace engine and your good to go! The mechanics will fix anything else they spot during the install. Good to hear your getting a new motor! How long is the wait for the motor? That's usually the longest waiting period. Is it coming from Japan?
Old 01-13-2013, 01:14 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Glad you got it all worked out.

And maybe lilwizzer or someone else can answer this for me.

So OP said there was definitely water in the engine, Would that be considered hydrolocked or something else?
Old 01-13-2013, 08:32 PM
ko3r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great man! Insurance got your back (:
Old 01-14-2013, 03:34 AM
socialconflicts

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
so im confused (well maybe not just misinformed) so if this happened to me, would my insurance cover this? i never knew this would be something insurance can cover... what else can my car insurance cover that im not aware of?
Old 01-14-2013, 06:21 AM
Rad_Slinger

You should probably ask your insurance agent that question SC
Old 01-14-2013, 01:29 PM
pgviper

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That must have been one hell of a deep puddle. If you did not have an aftermarket intake, the water must have been up to your grill (top of your wheel) if i'm not mistaken. Glad it's all getting taken care of man!!!
Old 01-15-2013, 01:06 PM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Rad_Slinger
Glad you got it all worked out.

And maybe lilwizzer or someone else can answer this for me.

So OP said there was definitely water in the engine, Would that be considered hydrolocked or something else?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrolock

Sounds like hydrolock to me. But all the "idoits" must be wrong. And lilwiz must be right. smh...
Old 01-15-2013, 03:43 PM
Rad_Slinger

Thanks for clearing that up for me cheese. I wasn't trying to sound like an idiot...even though apparently I am. I just didn't know if a little water constitutes hydrolock, or if it needs to be completely filled with water.

By the way, thank you for not calling me an idiot cheese. I don't think you're an idiot either.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:12 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by Rad_Slinger
Thanks for clearing that up for me cheese. I wasn't trying to sound like an idiot...even though apparently I am. I just didn't know if a little water constitutes hydrolock, or if it needs to be completely filled with water.

By the way, thank you for not calling me an idiot cheese. I don't think you're an idiot either.
That same link and a brief explanation is in post #8. Only an idiot could miss that.

All water inside the cylinders is not necessarily hydrolock. Only if the volume of liquid is greater than the volume of the cylinder at the end of the piston's compression stroke. In this gif of a 4 stroke engine, that's the volume of the space a the end of stroke 2. It's not much. Typically damage is caused by bending the piston rod or other damage to internals.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:45 PM
Rad_Slinger

Haha. Touché.

In all seriousness, I saw the link in both posts.....was trying to live up to the opinion.

Quick Reply: Stalled in pretty deep puddle