G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

The Snow Bank Incident (bumper damage #'s)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 01:25 PM
nbast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Snow Bank Incident (bumper damage #'s)

Leaving work yesterday, I wasn't expecting the back parking lot to be quite as slippery as it turned out to be, and I slid into a pile of plowed snow. (The fresh powder was covering ice, not packed snow)

I turned, and the car didn't...

Last night, I thought I had just popped some clips, and assumed it would be a trivial fix. I went out over lunch and took a closer look, and there is more damage than I thought.

I'm looking for two numbers:
What parts need to be replaced to do it right, and what part need to be replaced for it to be done 'ok for now' (i.e. live with the crack in the lower front bumper cover)

I just got the tax bills for our house, and with the holidays, I may need to hold off on getting the bumper cover replaced, but I'm concerned about the stuff under the cover. There's a piece that looks like it may have several cracks in it.
Attached Thumbnails The Snow Bank Incident (bumper damage #'s)-img_1223.jpg   The Snow Bank Incident (bumper damage #'s)-img_1224.jpg   The Snow Bank Incident (bumper damage #'s)-img_1225.jpg  
Old 01-03-2013, 03:08 PM
Iplcarbon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry about that ...ouch...

Call your insurance company...I had my Audi and hit a deep pot hole and cracked the rim pop the tire and messed up the front bumper as I hit the curbing...they covered it I had to pay the ded but was in the shop in 2days...

Never hurts to ask!
Old 01-03-2013, 03:16 PM
nbast

I have a $1k deductible. Even if it's over that, I wouldn't expect it to be over by enough to deal with it potentially raising my rates.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:22 PM
Iplcarbon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really ouch...sorry on that...I'd look online see if the guys are selling one locally. Or Craigslist etc...not sure where your at but on CA craigslist you always see the stock bumpers up for sale...
or the private ads here...
Sorry though glad all were ok...
Old 01-03-2013, 06:30 PM
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
My advice, take it to a local body shop, ask for an estimate and have them show you what needs to be fixed. Then if you trust their judgement, explain your situation and ask for their best temporary fix until you can bring it back to be fully repaired later. Or bring the estimate home and post up whats broken and I'm sure someone on the forum can chime in with some creative duct tape ideas for the time being or help you locate a good vendor with cheap parts.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:52 PM
Himalaya
Registered Member

The same thing happened to me a few days ago during the snow storm in NJ. I also have the x and as good as it is when you are stuck or start driving from a stop, when it comes to turning, it sucks with traction. The AWD doesnt help at all. i was going pretty slow and i still slipped exactly as you did and hit grass. I did not get any damage thankfully. As for your bumper i would say go to a mechanic you trust and ask them and i would advise against asking the stealership since they will say need to buy parts to replace. If the mechanic says so you might be able to get away with duct taping some of the damage for a while till you have cash to fix it
Old 01-03-2013, 11:30 PM
nbast

Originally Posted by Himalaya
The same thing happened to me a few days ago during the snow storm in NJ. I also have the x and as good as it is when you are stuck or start driving from a stop, when it comes to turning, it sucks with traction.
I have summer tires for, well, summer, but am using the all seasons that came on the car for winter. They're still in good shape (under 5k on them), but are no where near as good as the winter tires i had on my previous car. Saving money by not buying real winter tires has not paid off.

I'm going to try to get an estimate in the morning. i just need to force myself out of bed early enough to get there before work...
Old 01-04-2013, 10:12 AM
nbast

I stopped by a place this morning that just had time for a quick verbal estimate. They said I need a new splash guard in addition to the bumper cover, and he couldn't tell if the grill was usable without taking it apart.

He estimated about $1200, but a good chunk of that was for paint. Do bumper covers come pre-painted? I know I've seen posts about different IPL bumper cover pricing based on color. I assumed that they'd all come pre-painted if the IPL ones do...

If I ordered the bumper cover and splash guard, how hard is it to put them on myself?
Old 01-04-2013, 11:09 AM
betterdayz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The bumper cover and the splash shield is tideous but not hard at all! the bmpr has a bunch of screws top and bottom and the splash shield is push pins(get new push pins), not sure about pre painted x bumpers though. Good luck to you!!
Old 01-04-2013, 11:38 AM
nbast

I found this, and it looks like what the guy at the shop called a splash guard is actually called a fender liner, $45.88.
2009 INFINITI G37 Parts - Discount Infiniti Parts | Genuine, OEM Infiniti Parts | Infiniti Accessories | Huge Instock Inventory

From what I saw, the bumper covers they sell there aren't painted.

What would I order to get the push pins you're referring to?
Old 01-04-2013, 02:20 PM
Himalaya
Registered Member

if you want the front ipl bumper in blue slate it will be around 450 shipped from the infiniti parts website. im sure a quick search here would find you what you are looking for. as for the splash gaurd, its not that much money either...

I have a 09 coupe and the x and i bought the ipl bumper and it fit perfectly. for the fogs you will have to do some work but as for just the bumper fitting its not going to be a problem for you. I did it myself and im not that good with cars so you can do it too!
Old 01-04-2013, 02:31 PM
betterdayz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can actually stop by any nissan or infiniti dealer and they will throw you a few for a couple bucks or free.The push pins are what you need.They hold the liner in place Fender liner is the correct name for the part you need, though some generically call it a splash guard
Old 01-04-2013, 02:58 PM
nbast

I did more searching, it looks like the IPL bumper covers come painted, but regular bumper covers do not.

https://www.orderinfinitiparts.com/p...gid=8747&tab=2

If I were to buy that, would I need to change the washer tank, or is that only necessary when also adding fog lights?
Old 01-04-2013, 03:15 PM
GTLAW
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Dude, never set your deductible that high! $1K ouch! I have mine at $500 for Collision and $100 for Comprehensive.

How old are you? if you have a clean record and good credit no need for you have something that high to save a few dollars per month.
Auto Insurance Coverage And Deductible FAQ | Auto | State Farm
Old 01-04-2013, 03:27 PM
nbast

lol, I'm sure I'm older than most of the people on the site. I've always chosen a high deductible, and I'm sure I've saved more in the past 20+ years of paying for insurance than this incident will cost me.

Quick Reply: The Snow Bank Incident (bumper damage #'s)