G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

No response from 'Start' (Intelligent Key/System problem)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 11:01 AM
colh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No response from 'Start' (Intelligent Key/System problem)

My (UK) G37 coupe, which was fine yesterday, is now not starting. The doors lock/unlock fine (keylessly - i.e. with the door handle button, amd also by pressing the fob button), but then an orange Key symbol comes up on the dash. The Start button doesn't respond at all. If I slot the key in the hole then it kinda recognises it - enough to beep/flash a "remove key" symbol on the red centre warning display while the door is open - but still nothing more.

I called up the dealer, who couldn't suggest any fix for me. (They did say that it's a different receiver/coding module for locking compared with starting).
A technician came out but he was just from their breakdown/recovery subcontractor, not an actual Infiniti guy. So he didn't know anything more. On the phone (I think) to Infiniti, they suggested to him it could be some kind of problem with the steering lock - maybe being screwed up over whether it thinks its engaged or not, and thus inhibiting the Start button operation.

So I'm now waiting for them to call to arrange to collect it and take it in to the dealer
Don't know if anyone knows what this could be, but I'm posting mainly for info, in case anyone else has this problem one day. I'll follow up if/when I learn from the dealer what the problem is.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:14 AM
LexiG37

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Whatever it is, they will have to fix it. I wouldn't even worry about it.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:49 PM
~Lefty~

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LexiG37
Whatever it is, they will have to fix it. I wouldn't even worry about it.
Agreed...
Old 01-03-2013, 02:23 PM
colh

Not sure if it'll cost - I bought it used, so although they've done the recovery free (just 2wks inside the 3yr scheme!) I may not be warranted for the actual repair. Hope so...
Anyway, it's not like there's anything else I can do And on the plus-side, it saves me a 140 mile round trip to take it there for its imminent service!
Impressed with the recovery cover - 6hrs from calling dealer to having it collected, with courtesy car too. Just have to remember not to expect an EX30 to move as quick as a G37
Old 01-03-2013, 02:42 PM
daonlyillwiz

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
change the battery on the remote...happened to me 2 weeks ago.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:02 PM
daicon0

Try changing the battery as well as sticking it into the key hole under and on the side of the steering wheel. If those don't work then you have a problem only the dealer and/or mechanic can fix. Good luck! Keep us posted on your solution.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:31 PM
MsTmoore

What year is it because there is a bulletin about no start condition. Mines did the same thing around Thanksgiving. I took it to the dealer and told them about the tech bulletin I found out about here. They checked it and that was the problem!!! Mines is fixed and I got a brand new battery and paid ZERO dollars.

Reference: ITB10-010
reprogram ECM, replace old style vent valve, then they put a new bigger group size battery in it
Old 01-05-2013, 02:58 AM
colh

Here, it's a '59' plate - I don't know how the launch dates in the UK line up against US, but it was registered new in Jan 2010.
I don't think it's just a drained battery problem though - the windows/roof open and close on the keyfob buttons, so seems to be enough juice to get the electronics running.
Waiting to hear what they find - no call from them after a day, dunno if that's a good sign or bad lol. (Am in an EX30 in the meantime - loving the ipod integration and all-round cameras!)

Last edited by colh; 01-05-2013 at 03:50 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:43 AM
colh

Should be getting the car delivered back soon - just in time for the arrival of more snow lol.
It was a new steering lock that was needed.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:01 PM
gizmo134

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by colh
Here, it's a '59' plate - I don't know how the launch dates in the UK line up against US, but it was registered new in Jan 2010.
I don't think it's just a drained battery problem though - the windows/roof open and close on the keyfob buttons, so seems to be enough juice to get the electronics running.
Waiting to hear what they find - no call from them after a day, dunno if that's a good sign or bad lol. (Am in an EX30 in the meantime - loving the ipod integration and all-round cameras!)
Wait, your sunroof opens too? And you can close them all from the factory remote? Is that stock over there??
Old 01-16-2013, 01:23 PM
colh

Yep - holding the unlock/lock button on the keyfob opens/closes all windows + sunroof. Only discovered that when I sat on it!
Old 01-16-2013, 01:27 PM
gizmo134

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lucky!! Stateside, the sunroof does nothing and (afaik stock) you can't roll them back up...