Sponsored By:

No Wash At Dealership

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 11:17 AM
PrinceValium

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TwoThree
Precisely.

I use to work at an Infiniti dealership.... I'm pretty sure those wash buckets never got changed. Dark colored cars always had weird swirl marks. You can't wash 100 cars with the same water and mitt. One mitt did everything, wheels...everything. Made me cringe.
I know exactly what you mean! They would drop them on the ground with all the first and promptly put it back in the bucket and back on your car! All that dirt grinding into the paint.

Even the car washes that are touch less are basically useless. Driving rob the car ashes with the brushes is probably worse than the guy reusing the wash mit.

All I am saying is I was one of those people that were clueless as to how swirls got on your paint and how to drastically reduce making them and also how to repair your paint and remove them. I used to just use wax that would fill in the swirls and thought it was ok...and for some people is really is ok.

What I can say is if you spend a day with a DA and correct your paint and see how much deeper the shine can be without all those swirls you will be hooked.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:36 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Originally Posted by PrinceValium
Even the car washes that are touch less are basically useless. Driving rob the car ashes with the brushes is probably worse than the guy reusing the wash mit.

What does this mean, translated into english? Did you set your car on fire or something at the car wash??
Old 01-05-2013, 11:43 AM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
What does this mean, translated into english? Did you set your car on fire or something at the car wash??
Auto-correct I'm assuming. Still makes for a good laugh.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:03 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
My cousin owns a detail shop and I worked for him as my first job in the early 90s. He had 4 bays where we performed washed by hand. He had 8 buckets he would cycle through each day. My job also included cleaning out each bucket thoroughly after each wash and replenishing foam sponges and towels which were kept in a rack of about 25 for distribution. He would change them all out frequently.

He charged a premium but wanted to keep people returning to his detail shop and the way to do that was to keep peoples cars looking good for a long time. In addition when customers would walk through the service bay they would notice all of the clean sponges and towels that were being used to clean the cars. The buckets had fresh water. This made am impression on his customers and you could tell the difference in the paint of the cars that only used his detail shop.

The difference is that detailing cars was his primary core business. This is not the case for a dealership.

Someone once said to me "Well the dealership washes the car when its new". True But when they wash a new car, they are washing it to sell it.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:21 PM
PrinceValium

Originally Posted by Jsolo
LMAO.... Yes auto correct sorry! Sometimes my iPad doesn't type what my fingers want. I meant to say driving through the car washes that have rotating brushes is worse than the guy with the dirty wash mit.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:17 AM
1scG37s
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I've learned my lesson with dealerships and washes.. We love our cars.. We want them to be taken care with care.. But let's be honest if they have to do complementary for lots of customers they will lose lots of care for it.. I rather have someone take a whole day to wash it and pay more then a free fast one when I have to take a week to get it reprinted for scratches or a weekend for polishing.. Just saying free isn't always great!!

Last edited by 1scG37s; 02-06-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:06 AM
visualguy

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
Someone once said to me "Well the dealership washes the car when its new". True But when they wash a new car, they are washing it to sell it.
They screw up then too - don't get me started...

I've been doing one of two things with my new cars. One is to special order the car with instructions not to detail or wash it before delivery. I've done this with German cars. With my Infinitis that I couldn't special order, I reserved cars from shipments that were in transit from Japan to the dealer, and asked them the same thing - no detailing or washing before delivery - keep it dirty.

Last time I did it, one of the salesmen at the dealership couldn't resist dusting the dirty car with his hand while I was doing the paperwork. Really pissed me off - it's almost like they just want to cause at least some damage no matter what, and no matter how hard you try to keep the car protected from them.

Anyway, getting them to not wash your car after service is only part of the battle, and you can win this part. The part you can't win is the damage they cause while servicing your car!
Old 02-06-2013, 09:17 AM
PrinceValium

Originally Posted by visualguy
They screw up then too - don't get me started...

I've been doing one of two things with my new cars. One is to special order the car with instructions not to detail or wash it before delivery. I've done this with German cars. With my Infinitis that I couldn't special order, I reserved cars from shipments that were in transit from Japan to the dealer, and asked them the same thing - no detailing or washing before delivery - keep it dirty.

Last time I did it, one of the salesmen at the dealership couldn't resist dusting the dirty car with his hand while I was doing the paperwork. Really pissed me off - it's almost like they just want to cause at least some damage no matter what, and no matter how hard you try to keep the car protected from them.

Anyway, getting them to not wash your car after service is only part of the battle, and you can win this part. The part you can't win is the damage they cause while servicing your car!
I think that part of it is the a lot of people are oblivious to how easily your clear coat can get swirl marks, and on top of that how much they dull your paint. If you are the person that has never detailed paint then odds are you are the one that uses the wash mit over and over with dirt embedded in it. Everywhere I go I see really nice cars that have their paint all swirled up and I think how much better it could look with the paint detailed correctly. I even have my wife doing the same thing...lol

My dealership paid the price for my dissatisfaction after washing my wife's G after I specifically told them DO NOT WASH IT. That promptly got us $200 off any parts or service. Our dealer is great...they really take care of the customer. They had a mix up that day with another black G...but that's what paperwork should tell them. I even place a note inside the car now to not wash the vehicle (just in case).
Old 03-27-2013, 03:43 PM
monytx
Registered Member

Received 116 Likes on 109 Posts
I swore that I would never get another black car but look at me. I'm sitting here while i wait for my car buffing to be done. I've been thinKing about different ways to wash. What about the car wash kits that let You spray on foam and then wash off..?
Old 03-27-2013, 10:02 PM
dborakove

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I never get washed at my dealership anymore. The last time I did, the car ended up with dried soap and swirl marks all over the place (It's Malbec Black). They even managed to destroy a small decal I had on one of the rear side windows. However, I did contact the service manager with clear photos of the damage they did and he did take care of me. Gave me a free full detail and a couple of oil changes. So I guess for a couple swirls I made out pretty decent
Old 03-28-2013, 08:57 PM
Superteeth

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You would really think that an Infiniti dealership would take car not to scratch cars when they wash them. I had a bad experience with a complementary car wash quite recently myself. I had to get my aero front bumper re-painted because the factory match was terrible. The local dealership's body shop had to do it under warranty, and when I got the car under bright sunlight I was shocked to find that they managed to put highly visible swirls in my paint after they washed it. And this is on a white car!
Old 03-28-2013, 09:06 PM
enshadow

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I never get the wash because they said my car is too low to get on their wash and I'm fine with that