Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

No Wash At Dealership

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 12:54 AM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by hobbs
Had mine washed at the dealer today with no problems. Also got a oil/lube/filter for $15, brought my own oil and filter.
Go look at their bucket and clothes ..... you will change your mind.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:12 AM
hobbs
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
Don't care about bucket or clothes, only about how well the car looks after being washed. NEVER had a problem with Infinity of Montclair.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:23 AM
Tonewheel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't care about bucket or cloths...
Really? Surprising to see such a response on this forum.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:54 AM
SgtGoldy

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Don't care about bucket or clothes, only about how well the car looks after being washed. NEVER had a problem with Infinity of Montclair.
WOW! you know nothing about maintaining your cars exterior then .

IMO:
Foam Gun, two bucket wash method & air dry is the ONLY way to wash a car properly.

Your gonna have swirls like crazy if your not cautious about it. Check out TheJunkMans youtube channel. It's really educational, hopefully it can save your paint before its too late . He's well known on a ton of different forums and is proclaimed as "the pimp of paint and the sultan of shine"

The Junkman - YouTube

Honestly man, when a cars paint is fairly new it'll look great after a wash with a dirty bucket and bad towels. But little by little your towels are micro scratching the paint, then your dirty water is grinding particles into the paint as well. Swirl marks will become abundant and costly to get rid of. A swirl removal from a detailer will run 350.00 on the low side and much more from other well known detailers.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:44 AM
2008G-Man

What color is your car?
Old 01-01-2013, 04:58 PM
PrinceValium

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SgtGoldy
WOW! you know nothing about maintaining your cars exterior then .

IMO:
Foam Gun, two bucket wash method & air dry is the ONLY way to wash a car properly.

Your gonna have swirls like crazy if your not cautious about it. Check out TheJunkMans youtube channel. It's really educational, hopefully it can save your paint before its too late . He's well known on a ton of different forums and is proclaimed as "the pimp of paint and the sultan of shine"

The Junkman - YouTube

Honestly man, when a cars paint is fairly new it'll look great after a wash with a dirty bucket and bad towels. But little by little your towels are micro scratching the paint, then your dirty water is grinding particles into the paint as well. Swirl marks will become abundant and costly to get rid of. A swirl removal from a detailer will run 350.00 on the low side and much more from other well known detailers.
EXACTLY!!!!!! Once you spend days removing swirl marks from your vehicle you will NEVER allow anyone to touch the paint especially dealers and car washes!!
The following users liked this post:
TheDevilsG (08-21-2020)
Old 01-01-2013, 05:17 PM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
It's super common for people not to notice swirls/micro scratches on their car's exterior. Especially if you have a silver or white car which hides the swirls real easily. Most people just care about the basic "cleaning" that you get when you drive the car into the swirl drive through machine car wash.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:23 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
During the winter, i'll use the completely touchless automated washing stations just to get the salt off. Figure that's better than nothing. Come spring time, do the proper hand wash and wax/seal.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:55 PM
hobbs
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Tonewheel
Really? Surprising to see such a response on this forum.
Looks like I touched everybody's nerve! I have been driving and detailing my own cars for 46 years. I keep a car a average of ten years which along with the wife's cars works out to nine cars. Everyone of them looked like new when they were sold with between 120,000 and 287,000 miles on them. I have no problem with the results when this dealer washes a car. Washes at other dealers;
Old 01-01-2013, 07:23 PM
2008G-Man

Looks like I touched everybody's nerve! I have been driving and detailing my own cars for 46 years. I keep a car a average of ten years which along with the wife's cars works out to nine cars. Everyone of them looked like new when they were sold with between 120,000 and 287,000 miles on them. I have no problem with the results when this dealer washes a car. Washes at other dealers;
My crap detector is going off ... define detailing. Like someone else said, if you have a white or silver car you might not notice it unless you look. If you have dark or black you will certainly notice. I doubt there is a dealership on the face of the planet that uses a two or three bucket method with clean sponges replaced VERY frequently, etc, etc ...
Old 01-02-2013, 08:45 AM
PrinceValium

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The only way to tell if you are swirled up especially on lighter colors is to look in the direct sunlight or bright halogen lights directly shining on the paint. I think there are a lot of different degrees of what people think is detailed. The Junkman's method is a very good way to ensure you are another scratching up your paint when washing and how to remove swirls etc.

I will add however that everyone's acceptance of detailing is different and just because I choose to do things a certain way doesn't mean everyone HAS to do it that way. If you are ok with swirls etc. then great.

Last edited by PrinceValium; 01-02-2013 at 09:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ragnar (08-21-2023)
Old 01-03-2013, 12:32 PM
jon23

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PrinceValium
The only way to tell if you are swirled up especially on lighter colors is to look in the direct sunlight or bright halogen lights directly shining on the paint. I think there are a lot of different degrees of what people think is detailed. The Junkman's method is a very good way to ensure you are another scratching up your paint when washing and how to remove swirls etc.

I will add however that everyone's acceptance of detailing is different and just because I choose to do things a certain way doesn't mean everyone HAS to do it that way. If you are ok with swirls etc. then great.

I'm with you on this. Once I learned how to correctly wash, and dry my car I've been reading more and more on how to keep those swirls away and also the haze cars develop after washing them either at the car wash or certain dealerships. After a while I got my dual action polisher and learned to compound and how to remove all those swirls and believe me, it takes a long time, usually a job that takes at least a whole day. So that's why I get so annoyed when all that hard work is ruined over the cheap dealership not having knowledgeable people doing their car washes, but turn around and charge SO much for service labor, because their technicians are so highly trained... Such high training was given to the techs at my local Infiniti dealership, that they couldn't detect they had installed my steering wheel crooked and aligned it three times and gave up on it saying that Infiniti makes the car that way... My transmission is now making that famous winding noise, and they blamed it on my Stillen intakes and my HKS exhaust that make "all kinds of noise"...

No dealership will perform a free car wash that truly takes care of our paint, period.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:00 AM
viventi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's two dealerships I go to, one has a car wash the other hand washes cars. I'm sure you can figure out which one I tell to not wash my car
Old 01-04-2013, 11:43 AM
2008G-Man

Originally Posted by viventi
There's two dealerships I go to, one has a car wash the other hand washes cars. I'm sure you can figure out which one I tell to not wash my car
I would hope neither unless it's completely touchless and they don't any hand tweaking (as my daughters Acura dealer does).
Old 01-05-2013, 12:32 AM
TwoThree

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
Precisely.

I use to work at an Infiniti dealership.... I'm pretty sure those wash buckets never got changed. Dark colored cars always had weird swirl marks. You can't wash 100 cars with the same water and mitt. One mitt did everything, wheels...everything. Made me cringe.

Quick Reply: No Wash At Dealership