Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Lots of Wheelspin

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 11:11 AM
Only4theGnme

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Superteeth
When I say I know a little bit about cars, I really do only know a little bit about cars, just enough to perform minor maintenance like changing the oil, filters, etc.

So are you telling me that the wheels somehow would not spin if someone who knows more about cars drove it? The only thing that would keep the wheels from spinning would be controlled throttle input. I do not turn VDC off and accelerate hard all the time, and I certainly do not do it with other cars around. I accelerate like a grandmother most of the time, and have VDC on on the car all the time except for when I want to accelerate hard on an empty road.

By the way, I do not think that your Honda Accord would be spinning the tires unless they were worn out or you were on gravel.
WOW.
I think I'm starting to get it now.

Yes...controlled throttle input would come from some one who has more experience driving powerful cars...and they would know that too much throttle at the take off could result in wheel spin even in the best of driving conditions.

I would never allow my tires to go bald nor would I drive on bald tires. And no I was NOT on gravel...I could do it anytime and anywhere from a standstill take off. The fact that you don't believe that tells me something about your driving experience.

but it's ok OP...it's never too late to learn.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:57 AM
Superteeth

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Only4theGnme
WOW.
I think I'm starting to get it now.

Yes...controlled throttle input would come from some one who has more experience driving powerful cars...and they would know that too much throttle at the take off could result in wheel spin even in the best of driving conditions.

I would never allow my tires to go bald nor would I drive on bald tires. And no I was NOT on gravel...I could do it anytime and anywhere from a standstill take off. The fact that you don't believe that tells me something about your driving experience.

but it's ok OP...it's never too late to learn.
Well then, there is the part I do not understand. If controlled throttle input is what keeps people from spinning their tires in certain conditions, then why are there people on these forums complaining about no wheelspin, when they are stomping on the throttle from a stop with VDC off?
Old 11-07-2012, 11:59 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
You snapped an axle and kept quiet about??!! Damn J show us some of that good stuff!
Old 11-07-2012, 12:08 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by G37Sam
You snapped an axle and kept quiet about??!! Damn J show us some of that good stuff!
I've never told everyone on the forum about my affinity for musicals, bad cartilage in my left knee, or drunken escapade with a tranny prostitute during Spring Break in '89 either. Not all information is always for public consumption.

BTW, one of those isn't true. I'll leave you to guess which one...
Old 11-07-2012, 12:11 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Do I look very interested in your personal life? This isn't a dating site man come on

Now back on topic, new thread please, show us pics of that snapped axle and a video of how it happened
Old 11-07-2012, 12:33 PM
Only4theGnme

Well then, there is the part I do not understand. If controlled throttle input is what keeps people from spinning their tires in certain conditions, then why are there people on these forums complaining about no wheelspin, when they are stomping on the throttle from a stop with VDC off?
Because some of us have modified our cars...loosing power on the lower end to gain power on the higher end...people still experiencing wheel spin are likely people who still have a stock setup or a manual and know how to do it. Or...they too could be like you and don't have a lot of experience driving cars with more than avg power.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:38 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

All this wheelspin talk and no mention of slippery surfaces or poor tires?

Those are generally bigger contributors to wheel spin on our cars, unless you're boosted ofc.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:43 PM
GTLAW
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
What is the point of this post? but to make fun of this guy?
Old 11-07-2012, 02:46 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by GTLAW
What is the point of this post? but to make fun of this guy?
He pretty clearly stated what the pint is in the first post.

The question is this: Seeing as how 330 horsepower should not be enough to cause such wheelspin on the stock summer tires with plenty of tread left on them (they have about 8,000 miles on them now, and I cannot even see most of Lincoln's head using the penny test), is there something wrong with my car?
Old 11-07-2012, 04:32 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Really?????

You can't be serious to me right now...

I find it difficiult to believe you know a "bit" about cars...unless you meant that literally and really only know only a little bit...

It seems pretty obvious that 330 hp IS enough to cause "wheel spin". You can relax OP, and rest assured, there are no traction issues just with your car, only UE issues (user error)...lack of driving skill to be more specific...I doubt there is a DIY on this forum for that, so you'll probably have to seek rectification elsewhere I'm sorry to say. If you don't want to spin the wheels DON"T accelerate hard!!!! ... and keep the VDC on! A very simple fix. You sound like you should maybe be in a different car honostly...maybe something with less horse power and torque...at least until you actually learn a "bit" MORE than what you say you already know about cars.

I once had a 91 Honda Accord EX coupe manual...150hp, I could spin the wheels on take off with no problem. The problem isn't the car OP...it's you...with all due respect.

OP...plain and simple..."With great horse power comes great responsibility!" Stop accelerating hard and this problem goes away.
My 105hp 2012 Yaris wheel spins!! 4K rev, dump the clutch.

So why can I not get my G37 to do that, because the 7AT is geared so low!!

Im still having a hard time believing he can wheel spin a 7AT like crazy just punching the pedal.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:33 PM
Superteeth

Because some of us have modified our cars...loosing power on the lower end to gain power on the higher end...people still experiencing wheel spin are likely people who still have a stock setup or a manual and know how to do it. Or...they too could be like you and don't have a lot of experience driving cars with more than avg power.
So people who are inexperienced can either have lots of wheelspin or no wheelspin at all? I am talking about guys like this:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...n-lack-of.html
The point is, some people who have stock cars are complaining about no wheelspin, and here I am, with admittedly little experience driving relatively powerful cars, experiencing a problem with wheelspin.
Originally Posted by G37Sam
All this wheelspin talk and no mention of slippery surfaces or poor tires?

Those are generally bigger contributors to wheel spin on our cars, unless you're boosted ofc.
I already mentioned in my first post that the surface was hot and dry and that the tires have plenty of tread on them. Perhaps they are not sticky enough, though, which is why I am going to get the Pilot Sports when these tires are worn out.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:03 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
One wheels spins or both??
Old 11-07-2012, 05:30 PM
Only4theGnme

So people who are inexperienced can either have lots of wheelspin or no wheelspin at all? I am talking about guys like this:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...n-lack-of.html...
OP...I give up. the type of spin that guy is talking about he wants, I haven't really seen in a N/A AT V6. He sounds a little like the young bull in the "young bull /old bull on the hillside" story.

To answer your original question; Simple solutions to try...1] throttle control...2] better tires...3] never turn of the VDC...or 4] combo of the three. I find it hard to believe you'll still have the problem after going this rout, but then again, I don't know everything.

Good luck with finding out what is mechanically wrong with your car. Let us know how that works out for you.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:12 PM
Superteeth

Originally Posted by TVPostSound
One wheels spins or both??
I am not sure if one or both wheels spin, but I guess what you are getting at is that there could be a problem with the VLSD if only one of them spins?
OP...I give up. the type of spin that guy is talking about he wants, I haven't really seen in a N/A AT V6. He sounds a little like the young bull in the "young bull /old bull on the hillside" story.

To answer your original question; Simple solutions to try...1] throttle control...2] better tires...3] never turn of the VDC...or 4] combo of the three. I find it hard to believe you'll still have the problem after going this rout, but then again, I don't know everything.

Good luck with finding out what is mechanically wrong with your car. Let us know how that works out for you.
At this point, I do not believe that there is anything wrong with the car. I guess you could say that I am just wondering why the wheels are spinning under hard acceleration. The final answer, then, is that my tires blow chunks, I can't drive, or I should never turn VDC off. Hopefully I will be able to get better at driving, since I have only had the car for about 7 months. But I will still try to get that video up of the tires spinning this weekend. It should be fun to see the responses to the video.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOL at "shocked" and "only 330 horsepower" That's a lot...
What kind of cars did you own before?

Learn the car. And respect the power.

Hello everyone. I recently purchased a new 2012 Infiniti G37S Coupe (7AT). I waited until I was sure I completely broke the car in (around 5,000 miles) before turning the VDC off and seeing what the car could do. Before that, with VDC on, accelerating hard would turn on the "Slip" light and cut the power to the wheels.

However, when I turned VDC off and upshifted using the paddle shifters, I was completely shocked at what happened. The salesperson who sold the car to me told me that I would be burning rubber if I turned the VDC off and accelerated hard, but I did not believe him since the car has "only" 330 horsepower. I did not expect that the tires would be screeching all throughout first gear and halfway through second gear (which was when I let off the accelerator) (who knows how long they would have been clawing at the road for traction, since I finally let up off the accelerator when it was becoming rather difficult to drive in a completely straight line).

The tires were, as far as I knew, completely warmed up (I had just finished a long, 60 mile drive, and was on my way home). I did not brake launch since I heard that it was bad for the car. The road was completely dry, the sky was sunny, and it was hot (I live in Texas). The road did not have gravel on it either. This happens whenever I accelerate hard (the first incident I was flooring the accelerator after a short period of pressing it lightly, but the tires begin to spin and screech very loudly even when I accelerate with about half throttle, with VDC off of course).

The question is this: Seeing as how 330 horsepower should not be enough to cause such wheelspin on the stock summer tires with plenty of tread left on them (they have about 8,000 miles on them now, and I cannot even see most of Lincoln's head using the penny test), is there something wrong with my car? I know a bit about cars, but I do not know what could malfunction to cause such terrible traction issues. I am starting to regret not getting AWD, because I want to be able to floor the accelerator without experiencing such traction loss. On the other hand, it is quite entertaining to spin the tires for some reason, so I am not completely disappointed.

(By the way, I did read several threads on wheelspin and the lack of wheelspin in this car, and could not find anything relevant to my situation)

Quick Reply: Lots of Wheelspin