G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

G37 Coupe Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 01:43 PM
Only4theGnme

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah...I think I would would rather pay the 500 than be sorry later...I have yet to go knock-off on anything g related and I don't think I will...there have been several discussions about weather or not it's worth it on this forum...

But I support the freedom of that choice to those that will...I say go for it if you're feeling lucky! Lol.

...besides how else would we know better not to go that rout if there weren't some "Fail Stories" out there...lol.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:04 AM
Zydan
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Well as much as I wanted to be the guinea pig and try this...I chickened out and just purchased the spoiler OEM from Infiniti, bye bye $500 dollars lol

Last edited by Zydan; 11-07-2012 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 11-07-2012, 10:49 AM
Only4theGnme

I think that was def the smarter, safer choice.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:08 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Only4theGnme
I think that was def the smarter, safer choice.
Agreed ... if you are going to install it yourself, you can PM me with any questions as I did it.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:28 PM
Zydan
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
Agreed ... if you are going to install it yourself, you can PM me with any questions as I did it.
Nice, thanks, once I get the instructions I'll decide.

Any idea off hand how much the dealership charges to install it?
Old 11-07-2012, 01:30 PM
Only4theGnme

gotta be about 100/200 don't know for sure...I had inquired back when I first got the car but have forgotten since I chose not to pursue it at that time
Old 11-07-2012, 01:56 PM
2008G-Man

I think closer to 200 .... a few things, the directions call for 19mm holes (going from memory), you don't have to be that specific. I used one of those tapered gradually enlarging bits after I drilled the pilot hole. Also calls for rust inhibitor paint to be used on the bare metal exposed during drilling. I went to a local body shop that I have used and they gave me a little bottle (best if you bring your own small bottle, they have it in large supplies, don't need much). Measure, measure, measure .....
Old 11-12-2012, 10:52 PM
iSsAc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd rather go the OEM route since I'm too picky about the parts
Old 11-13-2012, 10:15 PM
IndyG37

I installed the OEM spoiler myself this past weekend after reading this thread. The install itself was not that difficult and the factory instructions are pretty clear. The templates make it clear where and what size to drill. The hole drilling is the only scary part but it really was not that bad. The install took me about 4 hours but I was going very slow.

The one issue that I found was with the camera hole in the OEM spoiler. The camera hole is larger and does not fit the camera as nice as the chrome lip spoiler. The fit actually leaves gaps around the camera which to me looked like a easy way for water to get in. My solution to fix this was to put some clear silicone around it. Is this how all the OEM spoilers are or did I get a defective one?
Old 11-13-2012, 10:29 PM
Zydan
Registered Member

Originally Posted by IndyG37
I installed the OEM spoiler myself this past weekend after reading this thread. The install itself was not that difficult and the factory instructions are pretty clear. The templates make it clear where and what size to drill. The hole drilling is the only scary part but it really was not that bad. The install took me about 4 hours but I was going very slow.

The one issue that I found was with the camera hole in the OEM spoiler. The camera hole is larger and does not fit the camera as nice as the chrome lip spoiler. The fit actually leaves gaps around the camera which to me looked like a easy way for water to get in. My solution to fix this was to put some clear silicone around it. Is this how all the OEM spoilers are or did I get a defective one?
Good question, mine comes on Thursday so I'll find out then.
Dealership quoted me $280 to install lol
Will either be a DIY or may use the local shop that did my springs, they quoted only $100.
Besides the camera issue, do you love it? Pics?
Old 11-13-2012, 11:05 PM
IndyG37

I love the new spoiler. It changed the look of my G. Sorry I dont have any pics yet The chrome lip just did not look right. If you do decide to install it yourself the instuctions call for metric drill bits or a metric unibit. The 10mm and the 18mm drill bit were the most difficult for me to locate and I ended up just buying them off amazon from some vendor out of china. The 19mm you can find at your local lowes/home depot(dewalt brand).

After doing this I found that the holes do not have to be exactly 10mm, 18mm or 19mm. You could get away with using a close equivalent non metric drill bit without any problem.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:19 AM
2008G-Man

Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
I think closer to 200 .... a few things, the directions call for 19mm holes (going from memory), you don't have to be that specific. I used one of those tapered gradually enlarging bits after I drilled the pilot hole. Also calls for rust inhibitor paint to be used on the bare metal exposed during drilling. I went to a local body shop that I have used and they gave me a little bottle (best if you bring your own small bottle, they have it in large supplies, don't need much). Measure, measure, measure .....
As I said earlier .... don't need to be right on with the mm holes. Hope you painted the bare metal after drilling.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:56 PM
xnick101
Registered Member

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Bringing this back from the grave but does the oem sedan spoiler fit the coupe?
Old 08-20-2014, 07:28 PM
Temptones1
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
I have it

I bought that spoiler...took me 20 minutes to put it on with 3M tape..EZ PZ...Then I used white silicone to fill the seam at the trunk and covered that with a white (matches the paint) racing stripe vinyl tape so it would not pick up dirt on the silicone. Silicone was not necessary I just liked no seam obvious.
It's pre painted and well worth it. Mine has the hole for camera so easier to line up...and if you know how to use 3M tape it's great.On my white car the Black tape was a little too showing . If it came in white I would not have used the silicone to cover the seam.
Great price too.
PS: The black inserts on the wheel spokes are computer graphic vinyl. I did the design and my friend has the machine. Very thin , satin black vinyl.

By the way , I paid $163. That included shipping...From, Pro-Hitch...Found on E-Bay. I have the one with Camera cutout and DID NOT have to remove the chrome piece or drill holes. I disabled the spoiler LED's because I did not want to run the wires or make any holes in the trunk lid. I have brake LED's in the rear window anyway. It fit just fine.Sometimes people are too **** about things and end up spending much more than necessary.If you have lots of funds, not a big deal...but why spend extra when you really don't have to.

[QUOTE=Zydan;3546438]Guessing this spoiler isn't the OEM one?
Price looks to good to be true.
Attached Thumbnails G37 Coupe Spoiler-new-spoiler-and-wheels.jpg   G37 Coupe Spoiler-img_0426.jpg  

Last edited by Temptones1; 08-26-2014 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:17 PM
OnlyNismo
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
has anyone tried/know how difficult it would be to cut a hole for the camera for a spoiler that doesn't have the camera hole?

Quick Reply: G37 Coupe Spoiler