Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Another Coupe Hitch Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 01:53 PM
XCoop

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Another Coupe Hitch Question

I need a 1-1/4 hitch receiver on my coupe. I mostly want to be able to put a platform on the back so I can load a wheelchair or two on it. I know of sawing off the arm of the sedan hitch for light duty use, but I want to be able to haul a small trailer for lumber or an ATV on occasion as well.

I used UHaul's site and it listed the sedan hitch as working for the coupe, which I know it won't. I talked to the local UHaul dealer and he assured me that the hitch recommended will work, as he felt their website was infallible. Even though I highly doubt it will work, I went ahead and ordered it as he said there would be no charge if they could't get it to work. I thought I'll at least give it a try, as at least it will be up on a rack, and I will be able to see what will need to be custom fabricated to make it work. They don't do custom fabricated hitches, so I'll have to go elsewhere to get it done. I'm wondering if I should still use the base of the sedan hitch, with the bar cut off, and reinforce it with custom work; or just start new and have the whole thing done custom.

I've thoroughly searched this site, and haven't found anything, other than a post on Driver, which all the photos are no longer linked. Has anyone custom fabbed a hitch for any vehicle (not just aG37), and what should I expect to pay for having this done?

Rather than filling this with hate like every other hitch thread I've seen, just start a new thread why you think hitch mods are so damn stupid. So I'm disabled and should drive a van instead of disgracing an almighty G. If you think a coupe should never have a hitch, great, don't put one on yours, but don't berate others who want a hitch to make a impractical vehicle much more practical. I've towed dirtbikes with cars that have a quarter the hp, torque and braking than the G has, so I know this vehicle can handle it.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:14 PM
XCoop

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Anyone got any ideas?
Old 09-16-2012, 07:21 PM
mr. jones

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a hitch from the coupe convertible, at least thats how it was listed.
the sedan hitch will not fit.
This hitch is a tight fit with the muffler. It is a light duty "U" shaped one.
It slips on the metal bumper from the bottom (under the plastic). There are two holes that must be drilled. you remove the license plate to drill.
I don't remember the brand name. I have it on my 2010 G37x.
Wiring was also an issue. You have to install a universal wiring converter.
I chose not to do this and only have parking lights direct from the battery when connected. Curt Class 1 Trailer Hitch 11068 for 2009-2012 Infiniti G37 Convertible (Fits: G37)

Last edited by mr. jones; 09-16-2012 at 07:29 PM. Reason: found my hitch type