Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Should I or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 10:38 PM
CrazyBulgarian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Should I or not?

Hey guys.. I bought my 08 6MT g back in january. It had 86000 km on it. Now its at 98000km. I have been hearing from people that i should change the fluids in the car such as transmission fluid, break fluid etc..
What would you advise be? And also if there is anything else you would recommend changing let me know. IU recently changed the air filter.Thanks
Old 09-05-2012, 10:51 PM
G37SBS
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Read the service manual that came with your car.. it should tell you everything..
Old 09-06-2012, 08:24 AM
Dough1397
Registered Member

Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts
I'd say do it. No way to know if the previous owner did anything. Its easy basic maintenance, hard to screw up :P, I'd suggest DIY.

I changed my transmission, diff and brake fluids this summer myself. I bought my car at 72k km, changed everything out at about 90k km.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:42 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
What dough said. There's no way to tell what the previous owner did or how they take care of their cars. If you change all the fluids, at least you know where you're at and can start with a clean slate.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:24 AM
1BAD2012IPL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It may be a bit excessive but like previously stated without knowing previous maintenance you should probably go thru all the fluids. Transmission, coolant, oil obviously, I would also recommend power steering, brake and differential. I have a repair shop in New Orleans and these services are not only cheap but very important due to viscosity break down of all of these fluids. I believe you also said it was a 2008 correct? according to the manufacturers of the FLUIDS not infinity, 4 years or 60k miles/98k kilometers is the life expectancy of these fluids and should be replaced. hope this helps!
Old 09-06-2012, 05:08 PM
CrazyBulgarian

Thanks for the responses guys. I will deff change the fluids..

1BAD2012IPL you answered my other question on how often i should change these fluids.. i guess every 98km.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:57 PM
nseriessaga

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes 100% since it doesn't hurt anyways. Unless your wallet is extra tight right now, then i dont think it will hurt to wait an extra oil change cycle or so... but its always better to be a step ahead rather than behind obviously.

If your gonna do an oil change along with everything, I'd suggest running a full can of BG 44K on a full tank of gas (put it in tank before filling up) and then doing these fluid changes after using up that tank. Its a fuel system cleaner and might be one of the only few products that actually work. It cleans your injectors and everything else. Techron by chevron is OK but not as effective. Its something I do at least every 30k miles. Not completely necessary but why not take the extra step when it only costs roughly 20 bucks and a funnel. Who knows, it could potentially save u from ever having to replace or clean parts by the way of a major service at a shop one day..
Old 09-07-2012, 07:22 AM
jon23

Name:  e0cf67235acfa51e36b6bbeb35b9574a.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  12.9 KB
Old 09-07-2012, 08:23 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by nseriessaga
Yes 100% since it doesn't hurt anyways. Unless your wallet is extra tight right now, then i dont think it will hurt to wait an extra oil change cycle or so... but its always better to be a step ahead rather than behind obviously.

If your gonna do an oil change along with everything, I'd suggest running a full can of BG 44K on a full tank of gas (put it in tank before filling up) and then doing these fluid changes after using up that tank. Its a fuel system cleaner and might be one of the only few products that actually work. It cleans your injectors and everything else. Techron by chevron is OK but not as effective. Its something I do at least every 30k miles. Not completely necessary but why not take the extra step when it only costs roughly 20 bucks and a funnel. Who knows, it could potentially save u from ever having to replace or clean parts by the way of a major service at a shop one day..
Fuel additives like that BG44K freak me out. The owners manual says not to do fuel additives. Any reason to go against the manual?
Old 09-07-2012, 03:37 PM
jon23

Originally Posted by Mattster
Fuel additives like that BG44K freak me out. The owners manual says not to do fuel additives. Any reason to go against the manual?
I'd like to hear the answer to this too, as I have also wondered about those additives as well. I've gotten mixed responses from dealers, one said their injector induction service is no more than an additive, but another dealer said that they actually run them through the injectors independently to clean them well.

So....
Old 09-07-2012, 05:28 PM
nseriessaga

Originally Posted by Mattster
Hey guys.. sorry for not going more into detail.. i thought more people would be using this stuff.. But I understand its not a must-do, so im not shocked. This is Ferrari's ONLY choice when it comes to this kinda stuff!! enough said!! haha..

I used to own a S2000 and did all the maintenance on time.. but one day my engine started throwing a CEL for misfires.. through research i figured my injectors needed cleaning, or I needed a valve adjustment. But i heard alot of praises about the bg so i decided to take the cost effective route, bottom up. I ran a full tank of gas with bg filled and nothing happened. But what i was told was that this additive continues to clean your system even with your next 2 tank fillups. And at some point in my 2nd tank of gas after putting the bg in, voila my CEL went off. I just want to make it clear that this is really supposed to be a maintenance product... I just got lucky i think because my injectors were probably just a little dirty.

Look, i dont put this stuff in every oil change... I do it about every 30k. Thats probably 3 cans the entire time i will own the vehicle. I really dont see how it can hurt your vehicle. All i know is it helped me and has never done anything bad to my cars.

Jon, yes they have the BG authorized shops that spray this stuff directly into your throttle body, but theres no need for that. I just add a can, use it as a preventative exercise, rather than a cure (although thats how i initially tried it)...
There are plenty of great stories of rough idles, etc being fixed with it. And i havent heard much negative. All i can say is do your research and make the decision based on that. but if you decide to do it, just make sure you run the full tank with it in there as close as possible, but prior to your next oil change.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:35 PM
nseriessaga

Originally Posted by jon23
I'd like to hear the answer to this too, as I have also wondered about those additives as well. I've gotten mixed responses from dealers, one said their injector induction service is no more than an additive, but another dealer said that they actually run them through the injectors independently to clean them well.

So....
Im pretty sure most shops use this type of stuff for cleaning albeit different brands maybe... whether its seafoam, techron, redline... It also depends who you talk to at a dealer.. if its your service writer half of them from my experience dont know much other than whats on there timeline of service.

If by any chance you run Chevron gas in your car, your using techron already too. Although its a tiny amount per fill up... Basically, im just saying that there's too many sources that use this stuff for it to be harmful to put 3 cans in my car over 100,000 miles. But i dont have scientific facts to prove anything lol. But neither do those dealers that dont recommend it.