Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Totaled?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 11:44 AM
jon23

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xsaqzw
Thank you for all the support/advice guys!

Unfortunately, insurance is being a royal bitch. It's actually been over 5 days since I have heard back from my claim handler. I've called three times a day and left three voicemails a day. The only thing I have gotten from them since the adjuster came out is an e-mail form to fill out which was done two days ago. I'm not quite sure how to proceed now since they are practically ignoring me.

Never, ever, go with "The General" for insurance.
Not cool. Anyone higher up in the chain you can reach?

Yeah, skip The General on your next car bro.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:26 PM
xsaqzw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jon23
Not cool. Anyone higher up in the chain you can reach?

Yeah, skip The General on your next car bro.
Sadly, I do not think so. Every time I would get to someone I would explain my situation and they would say "Oh okay" and immediately place me on hold without any type of explanation.

I used to work in a call center, I know what the hell they are doing. Pushing me to the back of queue because they don't want to deal with me. During one call I spoke with four separate agents who all did the same thing; I also told them what was going on.. they still did it.

I finally did get in touch with my claim manager though, and I have full coverage with "Permanent General", however I'm not sure if they are the same as "The General". I actually wasn't insured on the car just yet (only had it for two months and it was way cheaper to get insurance under just my parents name) and at first they told us they were going to cover the car, no matter what. Now the claim is "being researched" and is on hold; They will not tell us why, or how long it is going to take.

I am beginning to think I just got screwed out of a car. Sadly I think my name being on the title, and the insurance being setup the way it was.. I really just might be SOL
Old 09-14-2012, 02:37 PM
defeated

Yikes! I just called my mom to grill her, but she doesn't remember the details, but...way back in my younger days, i was driving her car and got rear ended at a stop light by a drunk, uninsured driver. The car was totalled, and they actually paid off more than we had paid for the car, but they immediately cancelled my family's policy afterward, saying that I hadn't been on the policy. I vaguely remember that my parents had set up policies telling the agents they had two kids that drove the cars, but we weren't specifically named. I know the policy I have now is set up specifically for me and my mother (how the worm has turned), and our cars, with coverage for anyone we loan the cars to. Have you checked out your policy? Fingers crossed that they're not going to try to get out of paying - I'm not sure if my wreck was covered because I wasn't at fault, or if it was actually stated in the policy that I should have been covered under their policy.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:57 PM
VQ37VHR

Man, sucks how all it takes is one mistake to wreck your ride (or your life). Glad you made it out ok though.

+1 on professional driving lessons, you'll have much more fun on a track then you could ever have on roads.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:43 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
I sorry to hear of the accident, but if I rememebr right "IF" you live in the house you "have to be on your parents INS" If not there is no coverage, something like uninsured drive,You parents would have to sue you to get the $$ to fix the car, LOL

Went though something this year, I was hit by a unisured and unlicensed driver, I had to PAY, My ins paid nothing,
Old 09-14-2012, 04:51 PM
xsaqzw

Originally Posted by ANMVQ
I sorry to hear of the accident, but if I rememebr right "IF" you live in the house you "have to be on your parents INS" If not there is no coverage, something like uninsured drive,You parents would have to sue you to get the $$ to fix the car, LOL

Went though something this year, I was hit by a unisured and unlicensed driver, I had to PAY, My ins paid nothing,
I haven't been living here but a few months - that was another one of the main reasons I wasn't on it yet. I had to move cities for a job and school and moved in with them.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:48 PM
xsaqzw

Good/bad news!

Car is covered.... but not totaled. Estimate is ~$7k-$8k

Car was towed off to the local Infiniti dealership today and I'll be posting pictures shortly!

Thanks everyone!
Old 10-02-2012, 04:04 PM
xsaqzw

Update:

This has been nothing but a nightmare. It took insurance three weeks to get it appraised and taken over to the dealership. It took the dealership a week to take a look at it, and then another week for insurance to come back out and appraise it. Looks like it is going to be quite a bit more than the 7k insurance appraised for.

It's been sitting at the dealership for a week now after insurance has re-appraised it. I'm waiting to hear something from them. I've tried contacting them a few times a day and I have yet to hear anything.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:54 PM
TheGrimReaper3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Update:

This has been nothing but a nightmare. It took insurance three weeks to get it appraised and taken over to the dealership. It took the dealership a week to take a look at it, and then another week for insurance to come back out and appraise it. Looks like it is going to be quite a bit more than the 7k insurance appraised for.

It's been sitting at the dealership for a week now after insurance has re-appraised it. I'm waiting to hear something from them. I've tried contacting them a few times a day and I have yet to hear anything.

*starts war chant* Totaled, Totaled, Totaled,
Old 10-02-2012, 11:14 PM
blackvr4tt

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
.... I actually wasn't insured on the car just yet (only had it for two months and it was way cheaper to get insurance under just my parents name) and at first they told us they were going to cover the car, no matter what. Now the claim is "being researched" and is on hold; They will not tell us why, or how long it is going to take.

I am beginning to think I just got screwed out of a car. Sadly I think my name being on the title, and the insurance being setup the way it was.. I really just might be SOL
oh boy.... you need to be really careful here. In a later post you noted you don't live with your parents, but you insured your car under your parents name to get a lower rate.

Just so everyone knows, if you get in a minor accident, your insurance company wont do much investigation. But if you get in a larger accident and there's a large claim, your INS company WILL do more investigation. If they uncover that you were less than truthful in your coverages or personal situation, they can completely deny the claim due to you breaking the original terms of your policy.

Bottom line, you buy your insurance to cover you in a major accident or claim. Best to be truthful up front or it could really come back to bite you.

Glad to hear your car is covered, hope it all works out!
Old 10-03-2012, 04:32 AM
User 111021
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by blackvr4tt
oh boy.... you need to be really careful here. In a later post you noted you don't live with your parents, but you insured your car under your parents name to get a lower rate.

Just so everyone knows, if you get in a minor accident, your insurance company wont do much investigation. But if you get in a larger accident and there's a large claim, your INS company WILL do more investigation. If they uncover that you were less than truthful in your coverages or personal situation, they can completely deny the claim due to you breaking the original terms of your policy.

Bottom line, you buy your insurance to cover you in a major accident or claim. Best to be truthful up front or it could really come back to bite you.

This is the same question I have asked over and over to lots of agents, they all say its fine.

I am from Kansas and there we had (3) Cars on (1) Policy and I was put as the main driver on the oldest car and my parents on the newer ones.

In California it seems you need a different policy for each car and it must go on the Owner of the Car, well the Title is on my Dads name, so Car and Insurance is on his name, My name is only on other cars, I asked the Allstate agent and she said I am still covered, but I would like some more input into this Question, I have always been curious
Old 10-03-2012, 12:03 PM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

good luck with that. 7-8 grand sounds like its gonna be fixed with used/aftermarket/refurbished parts and less than OEM paint quality.

you car could still be totaled half way through the job. if the mechanics cant find particular parts and new OEM ones are the only option, the insurance company can easily cancel all the work and just total the car right then & there if it ends up costing them more than the predicted 7-8grand.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:09 PM
G37-Pearl

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Glad your ok
Old 10-03-2012, 01:25 PM
Keng

Originally Posted by Raheel
In California it seems you need a different policy for each car and it must go on the Owner of the Car, well the Title is on my Dads name, so Car and Insurance is on his name, My name is only on other cars, I asked the Allstate agent and she said I am still covered, but I would like some more input into this Question, I have always been curious
It might be different for other insurance company in California but I have Mercury in California. We have 3 cars in the family all under three different owner name and they are all under my insurance policy.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:49 PM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blackvr4tt

Yep, there's a thing called fraud...why do people think it's ok because it saves them money?
Opens yourself up for lawsuits if you are at fault and damage someone else's car and your insurance company refuses to pay.

Quick Reply: Totaled?