Sponsored By:

spun out awd

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 06:17 PM
Himalaya
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
spun out awd

Its raining here in nj for the past 2 days. I was have a 09x coupe. Yesterday i was at a traffic light and pressed the gas, tires spun before the car went. Today morning I was on a brand new road and reversed to make a "K turn" and tires spun a little. Today right before I was coming home, I was making a left turn and drifted the back tires the whole turn. It felt cool but I dont want that to happen... I got the x for that reason... Tires are good. atleast 80 percent thread on them and they are sport tires.

I did a test, I was at a traffic light and pressed my gas kinda had, it spun for a while before it launched.

It was only raining heavy today when i was making the turn, the other times, it rained before i drove so the ground might have been wet.

The thing that confuses me is that it never said slip and showed the little picture on my dash.

Why is this happening? I didn't change my driving habits. Is it just because of the rain or is something wrong with the AWD system because the slip sign did not come on even once?

I will test it again once it stops raining and it is hot out
Old 09-04-2012, 06:50 PM
bklyndriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is traction control on?
Old 09-04-2012, 08:20 PM
john91

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can spin my tires with traction control on. In rainy weather even with awd and traction control u can spin very easy if you floor every time...I have 08g Coupe MT, and I don't spin out much unless I really want to floor it... I guess it depends how you drive
Old 09-04-2012, 08:31 PM
godzilla619
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
first off sport tires have poor wet performance characteristcs, which are usually not too good in the rain no matter how much tread you have left. tires might slip when going over the painted lines in an intersection. if you want better traction then get all season tires.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:04 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by godzilla619
first off sport tires have poor wet performance characteristcs, which are usually not too good in the rain no matter how much tread you have left. tires might slip when going over the painted lines in an intersection. if you want better traction then get all season tires.
This is not necessarily true.

I have Michelin PSS and they are awesome in the rain...almost as good when it's dry out. They're also a max performance summer tire.

Now...if the OP is still running oem tires, well that's a different discussion.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:01 AM
GTLAW
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
You need to fully understand how AWD works on these cars. 90% of your power is always gong to the rear. Only time power is sent to other wheels are if the slip light comes on. The AWD does not keep you from hydro planing. AWD keeps you moving. The VDC system will let you spin just a little before kicking in. Because how it works it does not need to send power to the front just because. Its a very smart system.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:29 AM
solarg37

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
the AWD system on the g37 is probably pretty primitive compared to some other cars like the evo x/sti and gtr AWD systems with active yaw controls and active centers diffs and everything inbetween

spinning all 4 tires even with massive 265's on all 4 corners wasnt too hard to do in my old evo x with the amount of power and torque it was putting out,
Old 09-05-2012, 09:58 AM
Lt8Che
'Cuz Racemod-erator

Received 316 Likes on 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Mattster
This is not necessarily true.

I have Michelin PSS and they are awesome in the rain...almost as good when it's dry out. They're also a max performance summer tire.

Now...if the OP is still running oem tires, well that's a different discussion.
PSS's are awesome! Never spin or slide, grip the road like glue.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:30 AM
ashmostro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Himalaya
Why is this happening? I didn't change my driving habits.
I'm going to venture a guess and say because it's raining?

I mean, you kind of answered your own question there. Your driving habits probably *should* change in inclement weather. AWD is not magic, just an aid. Learn to drive smoother in the rain.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:43 PM
joeyz12

Originally Posted by solarg37
the AWD system on the g37 is probably pretty primitive compared to some other cars like the evo x/sti and gtr AWD systems with active yaw controls and active centers diffs and everything inbetween

spinning all 4 tires even with massive 265's on all 4 corners wasnt too hard to do in my old evo x with the amount of power and torque it was putting out,

I cant understand how you think the attesa awd is a primitive system. The awd we have in our cars is the same as the GTR although less aggressive.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:08 PM
solarg37

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by joeyz12
I cant understand how you think the attesa awd is a primitive system. The awd we have in our cars is the same as the GTR although less aggressive.
does the g37 have active yaw control in the rear ? or does it have active center diff or torque bias, user controlled center diff ?

im sure its not a basic AWD system but there are more advanced ones out there,

do you know if it has a open center diff ?
Old 09-05-2012, 05:13 PM
Only4theGnme

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Driving 101...
It's because it is raining!!!!
You have to ease off the gas pedal when it's raining. These cars have too much power and torque, and will easily spin out if you don't show restraint when the street is wet. And if your tires are worn enough, it will be worse, but new tires will do it too. It doesn't matter whether you have the S, the X or, or whatever system turned on.

And driving too fast in the rain can cause you to hydro plane! ...All this to say that when it's wet...you can't drive the same way you do when it's dry.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:45 PM
jking

Originally Posted by Only4theGnme
Driving 101...
It's because it is raining!!!!
You have to ease off the gas pedal when it's raining. These cars have too much power and torque, and will easily spin out if you don't show restraint when the street is wet. And if your tires are worn enough, it will be worse, but new tires will do it too. It doesn't matter whether you have the S, the X or, or whatever system turned on.

And driving too fast in the rain can cause you to hydro plane! ...All this to say that when it's wet...you can't drive the same way you do when it's dry.
Driving 101 lol you are rite about the rain. Ever seen a burnout competition there is liquid on the floor so you can slip more that helps you make a big cloud of smoke and a constant slip.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:19 PM
Himalaya
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I didnt know if it was the rain or if the awd system shorted out because there was no slip indicator. This was my original question. I drove like this in the rain many times and nothing happened. It didnt rain today, i floored it and the car took off instantly.

Just wanted to know what was up since the slip wouldnt come on.