G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Is Ivory Pearl really white or is it off white??

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 03:25 PM
Sarcastik

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is Ivory Pearl really white or is it off white??

I am looking to purchase a IP G37 very soon and I wanted to modify it so that it was very similar to this MyG37 member below (I think he is no longer active). My question is I have read his posts and I know for a fact his car is an IP, but I have seen a few IPs in person and it seems like it wouldn't match with white rims like he's got. White on white even a few shades off can be very noticeable. I know it looks good in the photos, but I dont think this member is still active so I can't verify that it didnt clash or no for a fact that he didnt have the wheels custom painted to match or something. Just wanted to verify from any IP owners that when you put IP next something that is actually white it doesn't clash. Thanks.

Name:  Detail-G37S062.jpg
Views: 8513
Size:  114.4 KB

Last edited by Sarcastik; 08-28-2012 at 03:31 PM. Reason: forgot to post pic
Old 08-28-2012, 04:22 PM
cribbsjy

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
IP is a pearl, so it will NOT match a glossy or metallic white. In fact, you would be hard pressed to get two body panels painted the same white pearl to look the same. Pearl paint is a 3-stage paint; it is quite difficult to add a new pearl paint and get it to 100% match the existing paint. Even in your example, the front lip doesn't match the bumper, though it is close.

If you wanted to put white rims on a white pearl car, then you should paint the rims the same color as the car. The wheel gap + tire + wheel lip should break up the whites enough that the difference isn't noticeable.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:40 PM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Best way to actually colormatch IP and most colors out there is to have the wheels painted the same color code as the car.

The only color that you can get away with this is OB.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:52 PM
jking

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The guys are rite. I have a IP and did black rims because of the color and IMO the black is more aggressive than white rims
Old 08-28-2012, 05:08 PM
Sarcastik

Thanks for the responses. Like I said I think the owner of the car above is no longer and active member so I can only guess and get input...do you think he color matched those rims or do you think it just looks off when you look up close? If I went ahead and got a 2009 model instead do you think it would flow better? I'm really set on white on white because my last car was red with black rims and I want to go a different direction with my new whip. Thanks again.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:00 PM
jking

I would go with the other white if you like the white on white look
Old 08-28-2012, 10:58 PM
DPE G

Received 112 Likes on 73 Posts
Save your money and get a sport model at least. Not hard to come by and a better starting platform.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:02 PM
Robert Green

IP is a nightmare to match. Good luck sir
Old 08-30-2012, 06:24 PM
john91

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IP Is 3 stage paint. That guy in the picture , looks like he has a custom job all white 1 paint used and matched with his wheels. Unless it is some kind of special effects on the picture

There is another possibility that guy took this picture in a bright sun that made this car look more white, and his wheels just matched to the body with IP paint.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:40 AM
Sarcastik

Thanks for the input folks, I leaning towards having them color matched, but there is still a part of me that thinks that his rims might just be white. Luckily there are tons of pics on the web of his car, but in some they look like a perfect match and in others they look like they could possibly be white....can someone help me eyeball this pic to try and determine if he colormatched the IP or not? I've looked it for hours and I keep going back and fourth:

Name:  Detail-G37S091.jpg
Views: 1097
Size:  85.5 KB
Name:  Detail-G37S087.jpg
Views: 2011
Size:  63.5 KB

Last edited by Sarcastik; 08-31-2012 at 11:41 AM. Reason: added a 2nd pic
Old 08-31-2012, 02:57 PM
cribbsjy

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It looks like the rims are just white, and the lip is unpainted >.>
Old 08-31-2012, 04:06 PM
Sarcastik

Originally Posted by cribbsjy
It looks like the rims are just white, and the lip is unpainted >.>
Part of me wants badly to agree with you, but my better judgement is telling me the mismatch would be more noticeable. Anyone else care to take a guess?
Old 08-31-2012, 04:15 PM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
IP is on the warm side while Moonlight White is on the cool side.

Put side-by-side pure white, IP will look somewhat yellowish, MW will be bluer.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:23 PM
LegitMW

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
I suggest color match. And the wheels do look color matched, just not perfect (slightly whiter)
Old 08-31-2012, 05:44 PM
nseriessaga

Pearl paint is almost impossible to match, even if the car is brand new. Even painting plastic (bumper) vs metal (fenders) alone cause a slight mismatch in color. If you look very closely at a brand new Infiniti at the dealership, u can tell the bumpers have a very slight shade if u examine closely. I have moonlight white and I can see it. So if your getting an older used one, whatever it is you paint will be hard to match. Taking it to a legitimate shop will make it very close and you will hardly notice. But as u can see in the photo u posted, the front lip is pretty far off the original color. My guess is that the shop didn't take into account the age of the paint and just sprayed it using the color code which is a big nono when it comes to pearls.

But in your case of rims, I doubt it'll be much noticeable as long as u use the correct color code to paint the wheels. But I'm pretty much just repeating what everyone else has already stated .. lol

I personally don't think it's a big deal putting standard white wheels as opposed to painting it the EXACT same color. Ie. Black cars with flat black paint, etc.. my friend painted his rims metallic silver to match his body and personally I thInk It doesn't look good.

Quick Reply: Is Ivory Pearl really white or is it off white??