2012 G37xS Valuation

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 09:12 AM
MurderedG37s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 G37xS Valuation

Hey guys,

I had a quick question on valuation.

Recently, I have been thinking about purchasing a 2013 Audi S5/S4.

I wanted to see about how much my G was worth. It is a 2012 xS with every single option expect the spoiler. The color is graphite shawdow/graphite. The only thing it has done to it is window tint and some H&R Wheel spacers.

I was thinking in the nieghborhood of 39k-41k. The audi dealer didnt even appriase it and he said there were some selling at auction for 32k-34k, and he would only be able to give me 30k. At the same time there is a pre-owned 2012 S4 outside on sale for 51k with 11,000 miles . That is only $4,500 below its original sticker! Given it is retail but come on. Did my car really lose 40% of its value in 11 months? I doubt it. Im my mind he was bluffing in order to close the deal. Given the chances I have negitive equity, it would make it that much harder for him to close me.

My second option is to trade in my girl's 2007 Honda Civic Coupe for the S5. Then she can keep the G and pay me $100/month for the car. I would also be in good shape from this deal as the payment is low and my company pays for my car.

Although The G and the S5 look similar. I am in a pickle. Any thoughts?
Old 08-21-2012, 09:44 AM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Not sure I understand why you want to give up a nice G (with all the options) that offers plenty of pep and reliability for something that has a well documented poor reliability record just for a slight performance improvement. The headaches are not worth it IMHO.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:54 AM
MurderedG37s

Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
Not sure I understand why you want to give up a nice G (with all the options) that offers plenty of pep and reliability for something that has a well documented poor reliability record just for a slight performance improvement. The headaches are not worth it IMHO.
I just think it is much more fun to drive. I miss the 6-speed as well. Plus it is a whole lot faster than my G. And the whole interior, seats, steering wheel, and dash are just a lot nicer.

Reguarless I about 90% sure I will end up getting the S4 becasue I need a 4-door. I am not even suppose to have a coupe for my corporate car.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:06 AM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by MurderedG37s
I just think it is much more fun to drive. I miss the 6-speed as well. Plus it is a whole lot faster than my G. And the whole interior, seats, steering wheel, and dash are just a lot nicer.

Reguarless I about 90% sure I will end up getting the S4 becasue I need a 4-door. I am not even suppose to have a coupe for my corporate car.
Dealers will not give you private party price for trade ins. If you want to move to an S4, you'll need to sell your G privately or do the thing with your GF. Keep in mind that the current A4/S4 body style is 5 years into its run.

Thing is, even if you sold your G privately, there are many people that would rather buy off the lot new instead of 39-41k for a newish car from a guy that can't make up his mind.

Does corporate take care of repairs too? S4s are nice but...you are going to have to make friends with a mechanic at some point.

Last edited by cruzmisl; 08-21-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:21 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
The first year is always the worst in terms of depreciation. Do lots of research to see what your car is selling for in your area. Shop around several dealers to try to get 'em to compete for your business. I was in a similar predicament a year ago, having bought a car I wish I hadn't. Ended up taking about a 3K hit on a car ~3 months old, ~5K miles.

Being a sport package does make your car more unique for your region. Still, most buyers opting for the sport version want the manual, not an automatic variant.

If I were you, I'd try to list it on several sale sites (CL, autotrader, ebay) at the price you want. See what sort of response you get. If the car has low enough miles, someone might be willing to save a few grand and buy used instead of brand new.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:41 AM
MurderedG37s

Originally Posted by Jsolo
The first year is always the worst in terms of depreciation. Do lots of research to see what your car is selling for in your area. Shop around several dealers to try to get 'em to compete for your business. I was in a similar predicament a year ago, having bought a car I wish I hadn't. Ended up taking about a 3K hit on a car ~3 months old, ~5K miles.

Being a sport package does make your car more unique for your region. Still, most buyers opting for the sport version want the manual, not an automatic variant.

If I were you, I'd try to list it on several sale sites (CL, autotrader, ebay) at the price you want. See what sort of response you get. If the car has low enough miles, someone might be willing to save a few grand and buy used instead of brand new.
Yeah thats what I was figuring. I dont expect to get private sale value for trade-in. Thats why I wasn't going to trade it in. The price he gave me was just a little crazy.

And in reguards to the repairs, the maintenacne will be paid for the duration of the lease. So nothing to worry about there.

I was thinking about autotrader or craigslist. I just did not know how that went when it came down to getting the title. I could have to send them a check and have them overnight me a title?

Hopefully I can just give the car to my girlfriend becasue I love it. But i just dont know.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:55 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Good point about the title. Forgot you still owed $$$$$$$ on it. Typically there is a period of time after a car is paid off and title released. You should call up whoever the car is financed through and talk to them about how the process can expedited. A title is needed to register the car/get plates in most areas. It may be as simple as them forwarding it to a branch near you/the buyer and them releasing it once funds are received. Given the amount of money in question, a wire would probably be the fastest way of providing secured funds to your financial institution.

A private party transaction of this type is definitely more hassle involved than going through the dealer, but both you and the buyer come out ahead.

See how many g37xs coupes are available in your area, that'll give you some idea to the uniqueness/rarity of the car. Around here, g37X's are a dime a dozen. Don't recall seeing any g37xs. Manual coupes are rare, but exist. Manual sedans (g37s 6mt) are few and far between (seen 1 or 2 over this past summer).

For me, CL was a bit of a joke. My old camaro sold in a day because the asking price was so low (car needed major repairs). My bike was on CL for months with no activity. Ebay otoh opens up your car to a nationwide market place.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:11 PM
stanv

Yea, you definitely lost a significant amount off the lot. Just the way it is with any car. At minimum 5-6k for a fact.

An S5 is a nice car. Especially the new one. However, trading a G for an S4 is throwing money out of your window. There is almost no noticeable difference. Not in speed nor acceleration. I can't see why anyone would want that. Especially if you're getting a smaller car in return. But I guess that's my personal preference, I like large Sedans and SUV's. The small cars get very annoying very quickly for me.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:43 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
S4s are faster, but funniest reason posted is that corporate cars shouldn't be coupes.

I'm sure some justification for a coupe was made when deciding to get the G37.

Nothing more here than grass being greener. If he wants to spend more green to get to the other side, more power to him.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:32 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Looking up 0-60 times and the difference between a S4 and the G are not much at all.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:46 PM
joshk

Ill trade ya my 08 g37S+the difference your going to get if your selling off your car
Old 08-21-2012, 10:27 PM
MoonliteMadness

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Hey guys,

I wanted to see about how much my G was worth. It is a 2012 xS with every single option expect the spoiler. The color is graphite shawdow/graphite. The only thing it has done to it is window tint and some H&R Wheel spacers.

I was thinking in the nieghborhood of 39k-41k. The audi dealer didnt even appriase it and he said there were some selling at auction for 32k-34k, and he would only be able to give me 30k. At the same time there is a pre-owned 2012 S4 outside on sale for 51k with 11,000 miles . That is only $4,500 below its original sticker! Given it is retail but come on. Did my car really lose 40% of its value in 11 months? I doubt it. Im my mind he was bluffing in order to close the deal. Given the chances I have negitive equity, it would make it that much harder for him to close me.

My second option is to trade in my girl's 2007 Honda Civic Coupe for the S5. Then she can keep the G and pay me $100/month for the car. I would also be in good shape from this deal as the payment is low and my company pays for my car.

Keep your G! I have a 2012 xS Coupe and love it. My G coupe listed for $50k. As others have said, you're not stepping up that much going from the G to the S4. Plus, that Audi dealer is a crook and a thief to offer you $30K for your car, when it is worth at least $40K as a trade-in. Not to mention that pre-owned 2012 S4 should be selling for around $46,000. I suggest you hold on to your G or if you are really set on an S4, take your business to another Audi dealer.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:46 AM
XCoop

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
I doubt that 2012's would even be sold yet at a wholesale auction. Why would a dealer send a new car to auction, that's what they sell on the lot. Older and high mileage vehicles dominate the auctions. And why would he expect to pay less than auction prices? It's like saying I only want to spend $20 on something because it's $23 at Walmart. You will take a big hit, but not nearly as huge as that dealer wants you to dish out. xS coupes are the rarest G out there. Your car will be worth more to an Infiniti dealer, so you may want to see what they would give you. Just because you aren't going to buy a car from them doesn't mean they won't buy it back. Dealers love to be able to offer slightly used versions of their new models at a reduced price for bargain hunters.

By the way, if those deals fall through, I'd love to by it for $30k or $100 a month!
Old 08-22-2012, 08:25 AM
john91

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey guys,

I tell you something my friend, I work at different dealership and I do know what means trade in. IF you trading in your car you will never get money u want, or what the car really cost on a private part, that is how they make money!
Actually last week I was at one dealership, there was a G37 coupe 2010 IT LOOKED LIKE A BASE.... no camera no navigation...11k miles good condition... they want 31k for it =/
Your G should cost around 36-38k IMHO...
Old 08-22-2012, 08:17 PM
jmann
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I actually test drove an a5 before making the deal on my G. It was way slow for what it costs and I didn't really like the seats in it. I'll never trade in another car as long as I live. There are too many ways to get screwed on the deal when you do that. If you have any kind of equity in it at all the salesmen start drooling and dollar signs light up in their eyes. You are always better off with a private sale if there is any way you can do that.