Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Key Fob Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 12:28 PM
Envy_My_G

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Key Fob Problems

For some reason my key fob is malfunctioning. It wont open my car door sometimes or ill have to press it a million times until it does. ive checked inside the car it still does have battery life but it still does stupid ****. I get forced to open the door with a key! I try charging the key fob in the car but i guess it doesnt work that way? Am i supposed to change the battery or something? If so how do i do that? I am sorry if this problem had been previously addressed on the forum but i couldnt find anything. Thank you in advance..
Old 08-14-2012, 12:33 PM
DashKid
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Envy_My_G
For some reason my key fob is malfunctioning. It wont open my car door sometimes or ill have to press it a million times until it does. ive checked inside the car it still does have battery life but it still does stupid ****. I get forced to open the door with a key! I try charging the key fob in the car but i guess it doesnt work that way? Am i supposed to change the battery or something? If so how do i do that? I am sorry if this problem had been previously addressed on the forum but i couldnt find anything. Thank you in advance..
There is no way you can charge you're key fob. They key fob slot you see in the car is to start the car when your key fob has died.

Try changing out the battery on you're key fob and see if it fixes the problem.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:37 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
First. The FOB doesn't charge inside the car.
Second. There's no way to tell if the battery has juice in it or not. YES I KNOW there's a warning that comes up, however it is VERY inaccurate as it came on after I had just put a brand new battery in it.

Go to radio shack and buy a battery. It takes like 10 seconds to change it and only costs like $6. That should fix your problem. Don't go to the stealership for it,they'll charge you $20.

Of it doesn't fix it, you may have a bad fob or sensing unit inside the car.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:40 PM
Mayu

Does it do this ALL the time or just in certain areas? Is it mostly at work, in your driveway or at the local mall? If it is predominantly in certain locations if could be interference.

If all the time, and it is not your battery (which I would replace just to be sure - you can google to see how to open the FOB and replace - super easy) then it could be the FOB itself.

BTW, first time I have read anyone having FOB issues so am leaning towards the battery or interference.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:46 PM
Rad_Slinger

Also. Could be something else.

These FOBs get interfered with if there's a lot of keys on your key ring. Something to do with the metal and the fob signal.

Another possibility.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:00 PM
Envy_My_G

wow no wonder. bmw charges its key fob when you plug it into the car slot but i guess infiniti doesnt. and so the warning in my car for the battery life is just bull? in the case ill just go swap out my battery and see if the problem continues. i have about 2 keys and the fob on my ring so i doubt that could be the problem either. and it happens whenever it wants to. sometimes it may work sometimes it wont work long enough for me to give up and do it manually. thankl you for the suggestions!
Old 08-14-2012, 01:06 PM
stanv

Originally Posted by Envy_My_G
wow no wonder. bmw charges its key fob when you plug it into the car slot but i guess infiniti doesnt. and so the warning in my car for the battery life is just bull? in the case ill just go swap out my battery and see if the problem continues. i have about 2 keys and the fob on my ring so i doubt that could be the problem either. and it happens whenever it wants to. sometimes it may work sometimes it wont work long enough for me to give up and do it manually. thankl you for the suggestions!
The reason BMW gives you an incentive (or rather a requirement) to put your key into the car is so the mileage is recorded on the FOB. Just saying.
Infiniti MIGHT do the same thing but I'm not sure.

Last edited by stanv; 08-14-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:05 PM
Rad_Slinger

Originally Posted by stanv
The reason BMW gives you an incentive (or rather a requirement) to put your key into the car is so the mileage is recorded on the FOB. Just saying.
Infiniti MIGHT do the same thing but I'm not sure.
I didn't know that.

Any idea for the reasoning behind that?
Old 08-14-2012, 02:12 PM
DashKid
Banned

Originally Posted by Mattster
I didn't know that.

Any idea for the reasoning behind that?
Well it is 10K more and 10K more you get two to 3 times better options then the G.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:34 PM
Rad_Slinger

Ya, far as the charging thing.

Was wondering what the reason was for flashing the mileage onto the FOB.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:57 PM
Envy_My_G

learn something new everyday on this site lol
thank you for answering my question. i appreciate it.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:09 PM
yenhsravkeviv
Registered Member

if the battery change doesn't work, try opening up your key fob and cleaning all the contacts and rubber parts with alcohol. I had that problem and cleaning them out fixed it
Old 08-16-2012, 12:36 AM
Sinecure

/\/\ remove the battery before you do that.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:15 AM
adam

Mine was acting weird, I replaced the battery the other day and the car still gave low battery warning a couple times. I guess it takes a reading a couple times to verify that the new battery is there.

Everything works good now, it's most likely your battery. For me it said I had 25% battery left and it wasn't working already so its quite inaccurate.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:11 AM
NyLiGHTz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah it's the battery. Had the same problem.

Quick Reply: Key Fob Problems