G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Please tell me I am not the only one with this issue...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 10:30 PM
Audi_2_G37x

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please tell me I am not the only one with this issue...

Okay, so I've had my car for about 2 months now and I have no complaints except for one--AT NIGHT the windshield fogs like none other when the windows are down. So right now (about 10:30 PM in NJ), it is 75 degrees out, with some humidity, but not too bad. I was driving with my windows down, and the front starts to fog up a little bit (on the inside of the windshield), so I turn the defroster/defogger on at 60 degrees (the lowest). The fog starts to go away a bit, but in a few minutes there is condensation on the outside of the windshield. So i shut the defroster/defogger off and immediately my windshield starts to fog again on the inside . So I revert to putting the defroster on and just deal with the ever increasing condensation on the outside of the window . BTW it is not on recirculation mode.

What the **** am I doing wrong? Does anyone else deal with this? The windows are clean because I just cleaned them yesterday, so I know that cannot be the problem. I don't understand this cause I never had this problem with my Audi. Someone please help me lol.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:45 PM
Weiboy718

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Audi_2_G37x
Okay, so I've had my car for about 2 months now and I have no complaints except for one--AT NIGHT the windshield fogs like none other when the windows are down. So right now (about 10:30 PM in NJ), it is 75 degrees out, with some humidity, but not too bad. I was driving with my windows down, and the front starts to fog up a little bit (on the inside of the windshield), so I turn the defroster/defogger on at 60 degrees (the lowest). The fog starts to go away a bit, but in a few minutes there is condensation on the outside of the windshield. So i shut the defroster/defogger off and immediately my windshield starts to fog again on the inside . So I revert to putting the defroster on and just deal with the ever increasing condensation on the outside of the window . BTW it is not on recirculation mode.

What the **** am I doing wrong? Does anyone else deal with this? The windows are clean because I just cleaned them yesterday, so I know that cannot be the problem. I don't understand this cause I never had this problem with my Audi. Someone please help me lol.
One big possibility is your in cabin micro filter is really dirty and the other is did you use your A/C then turning it off?
Old 08-07-2012, 11:18 PM
jon23

+1 on possible dirty cabin air filter
Old 08-07-2012, 11:33 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
60 in this car is too cold for defrost/ dehumidifier when it's a little warn and humid outside. The cold air on the glass is causing a big contrast in the temp on the windshield. Try it at a milder temp. The condensation is coming from the difference in temp from outside and inside. Also make sure your windshield is clean as well as the cabin filter.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:05 AM
trcb777

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Turn up the temp.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:08 AM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
For the outside condensation turn on the wiper to clear it. I've had this occur on really humid days. The temp on the inside and outside of the glass need to be the same to not fog up I think. Got a vert so it's only after a short distance of driving from being parked is when it occurs for me.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:59 AM
Staples

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Happens during the high humidity for me. I have to keep the defogger around 70 degrees.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:05 AM
2008G37s

Cabin air filter doesn't have a darn thing to do with it. Ive never changed a cabin air filter in any car we have owned and never had a problem like described even with some at over 120K miles.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:34 AM
huwee06

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Humidity does the same with mine just do as the other mentioned but I can't agree with the cabin filter scenario.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:11 PM
Audi_2_G37x

Thanks for everyones input. I'll try setting the defogger to around 70 tonight and see what happens.

Weiboy--Where is the air cabin filter? Is this something easily accessible that I would be able to check and see if it is dirty?
Old 08-08-2012, 03:41 PM
DashKid
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had this problem too and here is how I fix the problem. It normally happens when I had the AC on in the afternoon and drive off with the windows down at night like you. First, when it starts to fog up turn on the defogger put it to like 75 degrees and leave in on until it goes away, as soon as it goes away just the mode button on the console to make the air recalculating air come through the bottom of your feet and it should say defogged. I do it this way all the time.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:24 PM
TimG37x
Banned

^ Why do you have the A/C on with the windows open?

Do you like to party?
Old 08-08-2012, 04:34 PM
stanv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimG37x
^ Why do you have the A/C on with the windows open?

Do you like to party?
Exactly...
I live in NYC, can't be too far from you and I've only had my windows fog up maybe upto 4 times in the last few weeks (since I had the car)? But I drive more in the evening than in the morning.
I never put my AC lower than 70. Typically it's set to the lowest speed at 72 besides when I get in the car cause it's on fire.
It honestly might be how you're using the AC. What settings do you keep it on?

If the car is only 2 months old, I can't see how any filter can already be dirty unless you empty vacuum cleaners out into your AC.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:03 PM
Audi_2_G37x

Originally Posted by DashKid
I had this problem too and here is how I fix the problem. It normally happens when I had the AC on in the afternoon and drive off with the windows down at night like you. First, when it starts to fog up turn on the defogger put it to like 75 degrees and leave in on until it goes away, as soon as it goes away just the mode button on the console to make the air recalculating air come through the bottom of your feet and it should say defogged. I do it this way all the time.
I'll definitely try this. Thanks

Originally Posted by stanv
Exactly...
I live in NYC, can't be too far from you and I've only had my windows fog up maybe upto 4 times in the last few weeks (since I had the car)? But I drive more in the evening than in the morning.
I never put my AC lower than 70. Typically it's set to the lowest speed at 72 besides when I get in the car cause it's on fire.
It honestly might be how you're using the AC. What settings do you keep it on?

If the car is only 2 months old, I can't see how any filter can already be dirty unless you empty vacuum cleaners out into your AC.
Well, the car is actually 3 years old, but I've only had it for 2 months. I use the AC during the day (set at 65 deg w/ low fan) because it is hot outside, but usually at night it cools down a bit. So I like to ride with the windows down. But a few minutes into my drive with the windows down (no a/c or defogger at this point) they start to fog. So thats when I put the defogger on at the lowest temp, mid fan, and non recirculation. After that the condensation starts, and it's just all downhill from there and I start to get really pissed off at the car cause I've never had this problem with any of my cars before. I just don't understand because I have driven with the windows down during the day and it never fogs...it's only at night that this happens. Any more suggestions would be great. Thanks guys.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:03 PM
chairman25

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just my 2 cents; I run the system on "auto" at about 72 degrees adjusting the temp depending on the conditions inside the car. Works like a champ. BTW, I do lower my windows and open the roof from time to time, but I never turn off the system, summer or winter.

Quick Reply: Please tell me I am not the only one with this issue...