Sponsored By:

AutoX, mods, and an '08 G37S

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 07:52 AM
SteveAZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AutoX, mods, and an '08 G37S

Hey all,

Haven't spent much time here because when we got the G it was my wife's and kind of off limits for mods and such. However that has changed and now she wants to trade me but I'm a bit leary to accept the deal so I need to get some info.

I recently bought a BMW 135i convertible (twin turbo), got a really good deal on it and it's only got 25K miles on it. Figured I'd see how I liked it and if not flip it. However, that car stock has got quite a bit of power...actually, I think it'd beat the G fairly easily, especially with a JB4 PnP which is on it's way, not really a fair fight. Anyway, the car has given me the bug to do some autoX and have reservations about doing much to it for that. So when I told my wife I was thinking of selling the BMW and looking for an M3, she wanted to trade me. I feel kind of bad getting rid of it as we have a Mini Cooper S convertible I'm getting rid of and it'd leave us without a convertible..and I don't wanna keep 3 cars. Anyway, so I'm considering taking the G and doing some autoX in it (or just getting a track bike and racing that). But back to the G, how are you guys doing with it? Doesn't seem like there is a lot of mods to push up the power without getting fairly involved? Is it fairly competitive in the stock class with a decent driver? It seems to understeer a bit (she's got 20's on it) but throttle steering seems fairly predicatable and not bad. I'd need to put stock wheels back on it and spend some time with it, just trying to decide if it's worth it.

What are the most common setups, are you guys doing a lot of suspension mods? Seems pretty flat through the corners but I haven't really pushed the car and in it's current configuration I don't know that I'd get a good idea as to it's capabilities.

Thanks for any input/help.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:30 AM
SteveAZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
....crickets
Old 08-08-2012, 04:10 AM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Go to the SCCA web site for your area and read up. Also if you show up at an event you can get a ton of info from people. Thats what I did and got a discount card for my first run etc. Tons of nice people all with the same desire. The G can do fine with a good driver and tires but almost any mods at all will kick you up a class. That you don't want.

The rest of your questions I won't answer, you can answer them yourself buy going to an autox event and educating yourself on classes etc with the different cars you are looking at.