Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Black Chrome Midnight Grille

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 07:54 PM
TwoThree

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Seraphix
I like it dude, looks good. 8000k is the way to go with slate.
Thanks man, Your car is among my inspirations! Need me some CV4s!
Old 07-15-2012, 08:09 PM
Seraphix

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by TwoThree
Thanks man, Your car is among my inspirations! Need me some CV4s!
Thanks brother. The 4's flow well with the IPL kit, looks like you have a good eye. Il be looking out for your build, great job so far man
Old 07-15-2012, 11:40 PM
WARAT
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by soundmike
That's the one, Mike. Same one i used
Sweet! I might have to "copy" your style on the headlights but with a different twist..

Thats Exactly it. When you initially lay your base, It will actually look darker than when it dries. It will lighten up a tad, and then when you lay the shadow chrome it adds to the black chrome effect. You really need the kit as it all ties together.
Thanks.. You guys almost make it sound like its easy to use.. I was just watching some youtube vids and it seems like an easy paint job.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:14 AM
TwoThree

As long as you know how to shoot paint, its pretty simple. Just take your time and make sure its prepped right.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:36 AM
burunet

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a blue slate, and I was a little reluctant to do it, but now that I see how it looks I really like it. Great job. I just ordered the duplicolor kit and I hope it will turn out looking as good. I just have a few question if you don't mind. How many base coats did you put on and clear top coats? Once the cleat top coat in on and dry, you just wet sanded with fine 2000k? Thanks again.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:45 AM
TwoThree

2 base coats, 3 coats of clear. I would definitely recommend you testing it out before spraying your car. If you lay it like normal paint it's going to be very splotchy. You have to lay a nice solid coat, but be careful, if it's applied too heavily it will run.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:22 PM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2 base coats, 3 coats of clear. I would definitely recommend you testing it out before spraying your car. If you lay it like normal paint it's going to be very splotchy. You have to lay a nice solid coat, but be careful, if it's applied too heavily it will run.
Place the can in a bucket of warm water between sprays, it'll help the paint spray better.

Don't put it in hot or boiling water, you'll risk the can exploding.

Another tip is to apply the base in very light coats then build up from there, waiting for it to partially dry to determine how dark it's become before hitting it again.

Also, place a chrome wrench or something next to the item being painted so you have something to compare to and better gauge how dark you've gone.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:12 PM
burunet

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the info. Regarding the prep work, what did you use to clean it all up? Thanks and sorry for all the questions, but I just want to make sure I do it properly since I would only have one shot at this. Thanks again
Old 07-17-2012, 03:36 PM
TwoThree

Originally Posted by soundmike
Place the can in a bucket of warm water between sprays, it'll help the paint spray better.

Don't put it in hot or boiling water, you'll risk the can exploding.

Another tip is to apply the base in very light coats then build up from there, waiting for it to partially dry to determine how dark it's become before hitting it again.

Also, place a chrome wrench or something next to the item being painted so you have something to compare to and better gauge how dark you've gone.
I always let my aerosol cans sit outside when its warm out, just to get a little warm, but never hot, or as he said, they can explode. Shake very well obviously. Many say do thin coats, but that just didn't work for me personally. But as I said, figure out the technique you like by practicing on something first.

Originally Posted by burunet
Thanks for the info. Regarding the prep work, what did you use to clean it all up? Thanks and sorry for all the questions, but I just want to make sure I do it properly since I would only have one shot at this. Thanks again
Simply used some dish soap to get it clean initially and remove any bug marks or this and that. Then I used Duplicolors Prep Spray. Worked awesome and wiped it down with a microfiber towel, being sure no lint was left. It left a very clean, ready to paint surface.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:45 PM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like it!
Old 07-17-2012, 07:26 PM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
I always let my aerosol cans sit outside when its warm out, just to get a little warm, but never hot, or as he said, they can explode. Shake very well obviously. Many say do thin coats, but that just didn't work for me personally. But as I said, figure out the technique you like by practicing on something first.
Agreed, it's really about technique and preference. Not to mention current environmental conditions. I did mine during the winter. Went with quite a few light coats and ended up with this -- G35Driver - View Single Post - Matte or gloss?
Old 09-04-2012, 10:49 PM
Zydan
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Wow that black chrome looks great! Calipers too~ now I'm wondering if I should do that with my color...choices choices...
You do have a good eye!
Old 09-04-2012, 11:02 PM
j23a45m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks great I love it
Old 09-05-2012, 08:22 AM
Dr.Pat

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
MUCH better!
Old 09-07-2012, 01:45 PM
Brainchild

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts