G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Accident... Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 12:53 PM
Coprolite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Johnny, good to see you're ok. I hope the repair goes speedily.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:09 PM
Wyldfyer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
Did you, by chance, update your insurance policy to cover the newer part(s)?
I would recommend doing so for any updated body work, electronics etc...
You can do that? i would think which OEM bumper you had on your car would matter. The Stock S or Journey Front bumper cover is probably pretty expensive too if you were to buy one from the dealer. It's not like it adds value to your car. So how can updating a body part with another OEM part effect insurance at all. After market? Sure. OEM parts? How would Insurance assess/cover that?

I may have learned something new.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:19 PM
Wyldfyer

Originally Posted by JohnnysG
Whatsup guys, I just got into a pretty bad accident and wanted some advice from you guys. Long story short I hit another car when she stopped short while looking at an accident on the side of the road. Five minutes later there was another car accident (I'm assuming looking at our accident) which resulted in 4 cars being damaged and 2 being totaled.

Anyways... what I'm concerned about is my IPL front bumper I just put on. I bought it for $300 awhile back, but the price has sky-rocketed. Pete... (fairladyz) suggested that I tell the body shop that that is how I bought the car, and I want the same bumper and not the regular journey bumper.

Does anyone have suggestions on what to do?

Oh, and if anyone asks, I'm perfectly okay

Here are some pictures.... didn't take any of hers.

You're a good sport! That gif is HILARIOUS! Sorry about your situation bro but glad you are here to tell us about it.

I'm not an insurance expert but I would think that the cost to replace an OEM front bumper cover would be comparable, whether it be a sport or IPL (if the dealer is the source). Maybe they may charge a few hundred extra for the IPL. I could easily be wrong though. But I don't see why it would be an issue as long as you are included in the process. Sometimes the insurance companies will allow you to still be the main contact for the body shop if you are the one who went and got the estimates. They can't low-ball you and only pay what you paid . Overall, it actually helps you IF they decide to cut you a check. You can even put your old bumper back on and keep the $$$ It may even save THEM money for you to purchase at $1500 already painted as opposed to them buying your stock front, and then having it painted and installed.

That damage is pretty bad. I would sell (or trade it in) as soon as it's fixed though. Sometimes there are little post-repair "issues" that result from hard front end collisions.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:08 PM
Wyldfyer

Originally Posted by SwissCheeseHead
Damn dude, that sucks! Glad you're ok. I HATE it when other people slow down to stare at accidents. For me, I just want to get past it ASAP but people feel the need to gawk, especially if there is already law enforcement, firefighters and EMTs already there. I could understand if there's no one there but damn, if they close a lane off, just keep moving!!

Good luck with the G. AllState is a big enough company. Hopefully your insurance agent is there to help you out.!
HAHA! I'm the same way! I just want to get around them ASAP!
Old 06-21-2012, 03:14 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
OEM or aftermarket parts doesn't matter - if it costs more than the one the car came with why would insurance pay you more than what you insured the car for? If you get a set of cheapo aftermarket wheels for $1200 and they are damaged, they are going to pay you the value for OEM wheels - about $2600 I think. You'll come out ahead. If you have a set of $6500 forged wheels, they'll pay you the value of OEM wheels. You lose. If a Journey bumper costs let's say $400, why should/should they pay you $1500 for an IPL bumper? If you took off your OEM Journey bumper and replaced it with an aftermarket Sport bumper for $250 they'll still pay you the $400.

I don't know if they will pay the cost of the more expensive bumper. I doubt it but I'm not an insurance expert. They certainly don't have any obligation to so I don't know why they would.

There are several guys here on the forum who work for insurance companies, what's the verdict guys?
Old 06-21-2012, 03:43 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
^^I dont work for an ins co but I am telling you they ARE replacing aftermarket parts on my car and I did not ever tell them I had the parts.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:56 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Well that's great. As I said, I have USAA too and I hope they'd do that for me too if I needed it but I wouldn't expect them to unless I had specifically insured the parts. Consider it a bonus and if OP gets it too I'll be happily surprised for him. Allstate is still weaseling out on legit Katrina claims 7 years later.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:04 PM
JohnnysG
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Fentress24
damn johnny. Glad you are ok. Can't tell from the pictures, but it doesn't look like the airbags deployed which surprises me. Lights by Bref held their own. lol.
Lol surprisingly yes, the one light that got hit held up pretty well actually haha .. I actually laughed when you said that

Originally Posted by Kidcane
Damn man, glad you are ok. Looks like we had a similar fate. Happy to be alive. My PSA for the day is not to stall if you are needing new tires. I seriously almost died. Pouring rain on 275 south. My car hydroplaned and sent me spinning across all 3 lanes. So as I am spinning, a semi misses me, a pick up truck misses me and just when I thought I was going to make it all the way across I get hit head on by Mercedes. Air bag deployed and then I spin around another half turn and come to a stop in the middle lane on the highway so now I think I am about to get hit a few more times. Luckily someone stopped behind me and I was actually able to start the car and get it off the road. Paramedics and police came and checked everyone out. No one was seriously injured. Luckily just some back and neck pain for me. Crazy ish!

Damn man.. that's scary, the accident I saw literally right after mine was bad as well. Small azz civic carrying 6 people, a baby a mother and 3 other kids not including the driver. I don't think anyone was hurt.

Thanks tho man, glad you're alright as well

Originally Posted by Vossen Wheels
Gla you are ok! I recently got my IPL/Aero bumper Heavily damaged after getting rear ended and the other parties insurance bought me a brand new identical IPL/Aero bumper. They will try to give you the original bumper but you need to tell them that your car ame with the IPL bumper to get another but very true what others have said, they will look at the VIN amd only replace parts it came with! I argued this with Geico and ended up with my IPL rear again. Hope this helps, I got rear ended on May 25th and got my car back 100% this past Saturday. GL to you Johny!
Thanks Diego. Your situation is definitely a lot different since you were rear-ended and weren't at fault, as for the replacement for the IPL part for you, I can only hope they do the same for me

Originally Posted by djtrump
Hey Johnny, I just got my car back from a pretty bad accident. I have Allstate as well and live in NJ. They were really good at getting everything taken care of very quickly. The adjuster will come out and write up an initial estimate of all of the damages. I opted to have them come to my house, and I was pretty much helping him along the way letting him know everything the vehicle is equipped with. He almost wrote in a spoiler because he thought the chrome lip was a spoiler (shouldn't have opened my big mouth). As far as the bumper is concerned it's worth a shot talking to the adjuster about it, couldn't hurt. They used mostly new parts on my car, gave me two brand new rims and also let me keep the two scratched ones. I believe the only reconditioned part I received was the rear bumper. If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a message.

Thanks man, I talked with the body shop. They said if All State sends them parts that require fitment adjustments, they're going to throw them back at them and get the proper parts.

Originally Posted by Coprolite
Johnny, good to see you're ok. I hope the repair goes speedily.
Thanks guy <3 I appreciate it

Also, thanks to BB and everyone else who has contributed.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:36 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Name:  photo-62.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  207.3 KB

Since when did they let construction workers wear flip-flops in Joisey?

Good to hear you're ok man, could've been a hell of a lot worse.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:28 AM
JohnnysG
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Gamedog

Since when did they let construction workers wear flip-flops in Joisey?

Good to hear you're ok man, could've been a hell of a lot worse.

Thanks man, I appreciate it

* I think it's around $9800 in damages, but the body shop has yet to tell me they've come to a final price.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:38 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Wyldfyer
You can do that? i would think which OEM bumper you had on your car would matter. The Stock S or Journey Front bumper cover is probably pretty expensive too if you were to buy one from the dealer. It's not like it adds value to your car. So how can updating a body part with another OEM part effect insurance at all. After market? Sure. OEM parts? How would Insurance assess/cover that?

I may have learned something new.
Anything that would cost more to replace than OEM- you may potentially get push back from your insurance company if you make a claim for it. Most original policies pretty much cover the replacement value of the original equipment. But if you add something that is considerably more valuable and thus more costly to replace, you should update your insurance policy.
Every time I have added an aftermarket part, I updated my policy. We installed a new stereo/ navigation system in my wife's vehicle and we called and added it to the policy. It changed the 6 month premium by a few dollars.
In my Mazda (from back in the day) I got my new aftermarket wheels, which were considerably more expensive than stock, added to my policy.

You can pretty much get anything insured.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:45 PM
DeamonG37s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bring it to a body shop u know and grab a carbon hood will be cheaper than oem hood I would fully upgrade everything I can. The body shop will get a quote on infiniti oem parts that damage looks like in excess of 5k min so jus buy after market parts
Old 07-05-2012, 07:38 PM
JohnnysG
Registered Member

Small update:

I was told I was able to get the IPL bumper and everything that comes with it.

Last edited by JohnnysG; 07-05-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:56 PM
Coprolite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Johnny, be careful what you post on a public forum.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:04 PM
Fire0nIc3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
insurance fraud

I hope that mechanic get's shut down

Originally Posted by JohnnysG
Small update:

I was told I was able to get the IPL bumper and everything that comes with it. The mechanic told me to bring my old fluid washer and break it and bring it to him so I can get the newer slim version lol

I also told him if he could try and order me the midnight grille instead of the regular chrome one.

The mechanic was a good guy, however the manager seems like he has a temper or something.

I'll keep this updated, I'm going there tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Accident... Need Advice