G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

My Supposedly Final Unveil: G37S w/ IForged

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 03:29 PM
Wyldfyer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I will always love the classic bbs-style wheels. Congrats on that bro.

The "Type-R" stripe? Not so much... lol
Old 06-16-2012, 08:20 PM
ColesAircraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wyldfyer
I will always love the classic bbs-style wheels. Congrats on that bro.

The "Type-R" stripe? Not so much... lol
Yeah, I always wanted classic gold BBS wheels on a blue M3 - since back when I was a kid. These IForged were that idea but modernized.

The dreaded stripe: I know. My wife hates it. But I've painted a stripe like this on every car I've had since '88, so it's a bit of a signature of mine. My red Mercedes had a silver stripe, etc. I personally think it adds necessary color to a moderately drab metallic gray, and it breaks up the only design cue on this car I don't like - the 'fat' rear bumper cover. Why red? It matches the "S" and taillights.

But I was also deliberate about painting it on the side skirts that would be either covered or replaced in the event of a body kit. So I'm flexible! Then again I own a pair of metallic red patent leather shoes, so . . .
Old 06-16-2012, 08:41 PM
ColesAircraft

Old 06-16-2012, 09:10 PM
ashmostro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The stripe is interesting. I too don't love it but I can see why you would. My suggestion: end it at the rear wheel well (no stripe on the bumper). I think it would look better that way. It needs to taper down at the well too.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:31 PM
Xenolith666

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
nice red accent on the car! never seen that before, looks good!
Old 06-16-2012, 09:36 PM
ColesAircraft

Originally Posted by ashmostro
The stripe is interesting. I too don't love it but I can see why you would. My suggestion: end it at the rear wheel well (no stripe on the bumper). I think it would look better that way. It needs to taper down at the well too.

Good suggestions!

Part of my thing is that I'm an industrial designer by education and trade, and worked in LA tweaking and building concept cars for a number of years before going into toy design for Mattel. I'm always thinking about ways to augment or adjust the lines of my cars by applying color (I prefer this to over-counter body kits because the results are truly my own, and custom fiber glass work is hell) - horizontal lines create an optical illusion that makes a car look lower, for example. Or also in the case of this stripe: taking the red to the very edge of the rear wheel wells augments the rear tires - something I personally was aiming for.

My execution being tasteful in the eye of another beholder, though, is another matter - of course! I see the finished work as art, so it is going to be subjective.

Remember when BMW changed their styling a few years ago w/ their 7 series and Z4? It really was brilliant design, but many hated it and still do.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:43 PM
ColesAircraft

Originally Posted by Topher9425
YEa, our cars are not so much a hot rod, per say.........but hey, to each there own
Ah! But what an interesting design exercise: to inject a little neo-classic American 'hot rod' into a modern Japanese/Euro sports coupe!

Sorry about the wheels! I just got back into my in box!
Old 06-16-2012, 09:52 PM
ashmostro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ColesAircraft
Good suggestions!

Part of my thing is that I'm an industrial designer by education and trade, and worked in LA tweaking and building concept cars for a number of years before going into toy design for Mattel. I'm always thinking about ways to augment or adjust the lines of my cars by applying color (I prefer this to over-counter body kits because the results are truly my own, and custom fiber glass work is hell) - horizontal lines create an optical illusion that makes a car look lower, for example. Or also in the case of this stripe: taking the red to the very edge of the rear wheel wells augments the rear tires - something I personally was aiming for.

My execution being tasteful in the eye of another beholder, though, is another matter - of course! I see the finished work as art, so it is going to be subjective.

Remember when BMW changed their styling a few years ago w/ their 7 series and Z4? It really was brilliant design, but many hated it and still do.
I get it, man... Nice work! I still think for the reasons you in fact stated that a nice taper would make the car have a sense of motion as well as make it look slimmer. Also, not feeling the colored lug nuts as it takes away from the charm of the stripe imo.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:08 PM
ColesAircraft

Originally Posted by ashmostro
I get it, man... Nice work! I still think for the reasons you in fact stated that a nice taper would make the car have a sense of motion as well as make it look slimmer. Also, not feeling the colored lug nuts as it takes away from the charm of the stripe imo.

Interesting. That was exactly my line of thinking when it came to whether or not to paint the brake calipers red - it would have detracted.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:43 AM
TwoThree

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
In the bunch that like the wheels, but don't care for the stripe.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:40 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Or maybe, you can try a different color stripe? Since the stripe is your signature rather than its color. Like semi-flat back maybe?
Old 06-17-2012, 05:23 PM
mykke101

Stripe looks awful and what's goin on on your grill?? The mesh looks awful also.. Rims on the other hand I like they look good just swap the lugs to silver.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:28 PM
Vic555
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good enough for me..Nice, like the red stripe , something out of the ordinary ...good job man!!
Old 06-18-2012, 12:21 PM
ColesAircraft

Originally Posted by Vic555
Good enough for me..Nice, like the red stripe , something out of the ordinary ...good job man!!
Thanks, man!
Old 06-18-2012, 12:34 PM
ColesAircraft

Originally Posted by mykke101
Stripe looks awful and what's goin on on your grill?? The mesh looks awful also.. Rims on the other hand I like they look good just swap the lugs to silver.
Okay. Then I'd regress to a regular-looking stock car w/ nice wheels - the vehicular equivalent of a sharp but dull three piece gray suit. I was aiming for more of a Robert Graham / Jhane Barnes look. I don't own a suit for a reason.

Every artist who retains a shred of idealism hopes that what they create as a mirror of their own taste - is universally lauded by others without criticism. But that almost never happens. I have to be 'commercial' in my professional art and design - but my G is where I can really express myself, knowing realistically that there will always be people who think I ruined the car and must be insane.

It's cool - and thanks for the input!

Quick Reply: My Supposedly Final Unveil: G37S w/ IForged