Sponsored By:

How do I know if the car has 4WAS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2022, 12:10 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by Hi-Chew
Hello I recently just purchased a 2010 G37 anniversary coupe. After I installed my exhuast I notice the rear was differnet than my last 2012 G37 coupe. Looked it up and found this forum on what it was. I wanted to know if its even possible to drift with the 4WAS or if would damage it. The feeling of the back end moving too do scare me a little bit. I can not even a find any information on 4was on the internet so any informationon it would be a blessing.
4was owner here. She can drift.
The following users liked this post:
RA081224 (08-11-2022)
Old 08-13-2022, 07:54 AM
petemo94
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Wait,what? After all of these years the G37 coupe has an option for 4 wheel steering? Mind blown
The following users liked this post:
Skyline_G35 (08-14-2022)
Old 08-14-2022, 01:22 AM
Skyline_G35
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by petemo94
Wait,what? After all of these years the G37 coupe has an option for 4 wheel steering? Mind blown
I’m just learning this too
Old 08-14-2022, 04:13 PM
RA081224
Banned

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
Not a common option and unless your aware the car has it, I doubt you'd figure it out from driving it. It's a very subtitle difference that usually only comes up in autocross or maybe U-turns
Old 08-15-2022, 11:03 PM
Hi-Chew
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by petemo94
Didn’t even know. Kinda shocked when I found out. Does anyone know who to disable it. I do want to feel the car like my old g37. Missed it and regret selling it. I want to feel the back end kick out a little bit on corners in the mountain roads. Also do want to try a donut in the car and maybe bigger drifts after.
I have pictures of both cars on my
Instagram : g__i_guess
Old 03-06-2024, 04:07 AM
DanaT
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Absinthe
Not a common option and unless your aware the car has it, I doubt you'd figure it out from driving it. It's a very subtitle difference that usually only comes up in autocross or maybe U-turns
I'm honestly curious if 4WAS is in the X or XS coupes or not. I own a 2013 XS coupe myself and thought it would be a neat thing to find out if I have it or not.
Old 03-06-2024, 08:44 AM
BULL
Moderador

Originally Posted by DanaT
I'm honestly curious if 4WAS is in the X or XS coupes or not. I own a 2013 XS coupe myself and thought it would be a neat thing to find out if I have it or not.
I like to believe the AWD coupe 4WAS was a 08-09 option. After 2010 the number of 4WAS went down significantly, Anniversaries trims were the ones you could count on bringing them.

As much as I defend it and love it, there are many times that the system is inactive. It doesnt work like what you would expect it to. The front steering column a motor/clutch that increases the steering ratio variably. In other words the 4was has the ability to give you wider and shorter steering ratios as the rear moves as well. The movement in the rear is anticlimactic, many times is so minimal it makes you question if it's actually working.

The most I've ever felt it working was driving it in the lift, going through the gears after 30mph I get movement from the steering wheel slightly compensating.
Old 03-06-2024, 03:25 PM
DanaT
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BULL
I like to believe the AWD coupe 4WAS was a 08-09 option. After 2010 the number of 4WAS went down significantly, Anniversaries trims were the ones you could count on bringing them.

As much as I defend it and love it, there are many times that the system is inactive. It doesnt work like what you would expect it to. The front steering column a motor/clutch that increases the steering ratio variably. In other words the 4was has the ability to give you wider and shorter steering ratios as the rear moves as well. The movement in the rear is anticlimactic, many times is so minimal it makes you question if it's actually working.

The most I've ever felt it working was driving it in the lift, going through the gears after 30mph I get movement from the steering wheel slightly compensating.

I kinda had a feeling it wouldn't be as cool as it sounds to be honest. My original thought was "wow that just like the old BNR Skylines of the past, thats really cool!" But considering that was something developed in the 90s it's cool factor probably wore off right as the 00s came around.

Either way it is still pretty nest that Nissan incorporated something like that into a modern day car even if it didnt work half the time lol.
Old 03-07-2024, 11:53 AM
BULL
Moderador

Originally Posted by DanaT
I kinda had a feeling it wouldn't be as cool as it sounds to be honest. My original thought was "wow that just like the old BNR Skylines of the past, thats really cool!" But considering that was something developed in the 90s it's cool factor probably wore off right as the 00s came around.

Either way it is still pretty nest that Nissan incorporated something like that into a modern day car even if it didnt work half the time lol.
The system could use some improvement. Solid bushings, lowered heights, wider wheels and perfectly aligned should make the whole car actually feel better.

There is a member here who has a YT channel in Australia who has a 4was coupe that he did just that, solid everything and from his perspective it truly made the car feel like it should.

Knowing that oem control arms have a ton of flex, this flex absorbs some of the rear rack and pinion adjustments.
Old 03-07-2024, 12:58 PM
Stylin G
Registered Member

I thought the 4WAS wouldn't be very noticeable as well, until one day I had a short caused by the positive battery terminal having a bad connection. The 4WAS shut off along with the VDC and it felt like a different car. It had to put more input in the steering wheel to get the car pointed in the direction than what I was used to. I also feel the 4WAS kick in quite a bit on the highway when changing lanes quickly.
Old 03-07-2024, 01:07 PM
BULL
Moderador

Originally Posted by Stylin G
I thought the 4WAS wouldn't be very noticeable as well, until one day I had a short caused by the positive battery terminal having a bad connection. The 4WAS shut off along with the VDC and it felt like a different car. It had to put more input in the steering wheel to get the car pointed in the direction than what I was used to. I also feel the 4WAS kick in quite a bit on the highway when changing lanes quickly.
So the VDC kills the ability for the LSD to be helped by braking, unsure to what ratio it drops to once it shuts off in the front.

And yes the most noticeability is lane changing, especially a loaded higher gear zig-zag feels fantastic.
Old 03-07-2024, 01:11 PM
Stylin G
Registered Member

So the VDC kills the ability for the LSD to be helped by braking, unsure to what ratio it drops to once it shuts off in the front.

And yes the most noticeability is lane changing, especially a loaded higher gear zig-zag feels fantastic.
Yeah, the feeling of the car just "gliding" into the lane you want to go in is nuts compared to anything else I've driven.
Old 03-07-2024, 01:41 PM
DanaT
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Stylin G
Yeah, the feeling of the car just "gliding" into the lane you want to go in is nuts compared to anything else I've driven.

Wow I really am missing out on alot haha. I haven't even attempted turning off the VDC while driving just because I don't wanna risk losing control and ruining my car. I may have to do it at Lime Rock this year when an event come through.

I do also wonder if it's possible to find a crash G which had the 4WAS and possibly put it into my car? I know the saying "anything is possible with enough time and money" but considering how revolutionary it was for the BNR Skylines on a track I do wonder if it would still hold up to modern standards or if it would even function properly it extensive modifications to the engine and such.
Old 03-07-2024, 01:53 PM
DanaT
Registered Member

The system could use some improvement. Solid bushings, lowered heights, wider wheels and perfectly aligned should make the whole car actually feel better.

There is a member here who has a YT channel in Australia who has a 4was coupe that he did just that, solid everything and from his perspective it truly made the car feel like it should.

Knowing that oem control arms have a ton of flex, this flex absorbs some of the rear rack and pinion adjustments.

Okay so funny enough I actually just saw what looks to be an anniversary edition G coupe convertible in a yard. Hypothetically if this did have the 4WAS in it and I wanted to take those parts what should I be looking for that would be considered importaimport and will not need to be upgraded?

I have Z1 adjustable suspension and I'm sitting on Silvers coilovers so all I'd need are some wider wheels and tires which is already have ordered for a WB so that would check off the boxes for making the 4WAS steering feel good or worth having right?
Old 03-07-2024, 03:52 PM
Stylin G
Registered Member

So I think it would be easier to remove the 4WAS from a vehicle than to add it. I do have an extra light on my gauge bezel for the 4WAS, don't think it would be all that important but does light up if there is an issue with the system. Plus you'd need to pull the ECM from a vehicle that has the same drivetrain as yours with 4WAS equipped or at least have it cloned and uploaded to yours. I have no idea how many more components are in the rear but here is a picture from under my car for reference. You can see all the "extra" stuff sitting behind the rear differential. Also keep in mind that things such as a rear diff brace won't work because the 4WAS stuff is in the way. I have Z1 poly rear diff bushings and aluminum subframe bushings sitting in the garage, I'll try to post more about the 4WAS when I get around to it.

Quick Reply: How do I know if the car has 4WAS?