G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Any tips for plasti dipping with the wheels on?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 05:40 PM
BluestickG

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Come on guys! This is not what myg37 is about. No need to bash the guy. If he wants to plasti dip his wheels to give it a different look so be it. As said before these are not exotic sports car. There is definitly a lot of hate on this forum and there is no need for it.

I say props to the OP. Probably not the most practical way but you did a good job for having your wheels stuck on the car.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:47 PM
Emillion45

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
No it's more like I respect myself enough to do things the right way. Obviously you and the OP dont.

Originally Posted by Wyldfyer
Like you said. It's a G37. Some of you act like this isn't a Nissan or something LOL. Like this is some collectible. It's a common car. It's not an exotic. Maybe it's the best car that YOU have ever had so you act like it's a Ferrari. We are talking about what chemical is best to use when temporarily painting wheels. (but all these guys miss that temporary part). I just can't believe so many "guys" are acting like women...as if someone is using the wrong nail polish LOL.

I just don't know what people accomplish by commenting on a thread that you don't agree with. There is a positive way to tell someone your opinion as it relates to THEIR car.

But hey, if you are the kind of person who gets his rocks off of belittling other people, be my guest. But if you do it in an open forum, expect the same.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:58 PM
mtrsprt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't believe how many people would ruin a set of nice looking sport wheels on a classy car like these........

Glad I am not 20 anymore. Maybe I would have done some ridiculous things like that also.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:16 PM
DashKid
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LMAO on all the hate. Come on guys learn how not to bash some one. If you don't like it than say you don't like it, but don't be calling names to each other. Makes you sound like a e-thug. You also don't want to turn out like 1sickg.

I guess I gotta go by a Aston and show all the haters and plasti dip the wheels. .
Old 05-29-2012, 06:20 PM
BluestickG

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Emillion45
No it's more like I respect myself enough to do things the right way. Obviously you and the OP dont.
WOW!! Really??
Old 05-29-2012, 06:42 PM
htran16

Originally Posted by County-of-Kings
sort that out first bro because god forbid u get a flat what u gonna do then, set ur priorites, getting a wheel lock should come before plastidipping ur wheels brother man
this is all that should have been said in this thread.....period. no argument about plastidip.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:43 PM
stickstickly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 05-29-2012, 06:47 PM
breftayka

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
In for results!!!
Originally Posted by jesse550
Old 05-29-2012, 06:48 PM
jujubii
Premier Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
You're gonna stray that low as to bring my education in to this? What kind of self absorbed d-bag are you?

Are you still bitter that people can buy the G37 for literally half the price you probably paid? Apparently my unfinished college education is doing me a lot better than whatever you have since I don't have anything up my @$$ when it comes to what people to do their OWN CARS.

By the way, please do show me the f***ing overspray becauce I sure as hell didn't spend over an hour masking off the wheels to protect the brakes. If you're talking about the spray landing on the inner parts of the wheels, it would have happened anyway. by the way, as wyldfyer mentions, IT RUBS OFF.

kan u point et out for me pls, i iz teh n00b?

Man, I feel like you're the only one that pays attention here. People really do act like these are ferraris and that there is some sort of special status people get with owning one. The price of a used one is literally half of a new one. Even people who put underglow on their hondas don't do it because it's a honda, they do it because they like it -__-.

I feel like there'd be more G owners on this forum if there wasn't as much hate as all the other forums.

I'm glad there was at least one person who knows the story with the grille, hell even if they didn't the first lines literally said not to comment about the grille and that I'm getting one in the immediate future.

Thanks!

P.S. I've actually had quite a few people PM me and ask me how to do it with the wheels on. Go figure, I knew I wasn't the only one.

In the case that you have to remove your rims (which you will for rotations, flats, etc.) the dip on the lugs will be stripped.
In the case that you get new tires or flip them (which you will) the pd along the edges will mostly likely get scrapped off. Even if a little.

Now I challenge you to consider, the 1 hr you spent into prepping 1 wheel *4 and extra time to remove and trash everything is probably about 1/2-3/4 the cost of a powder coat job in wages.

I've PD my stock 18s before (cuz i got into an accident and wanted to get rid of the severe curb rash) with them off... took my time to do everything perfectly... But I ended taking them off because it eventually faded in color and something nicked a chunk off and annoyed me. Never doing it again. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:01 PM
jesse550

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jujubii
In the case that you have to remove your rims (which you will for rotations, flats, etc.) the dip on the lugs will be stripped.
In the case that you get new tires or flip them (which you will) the pd along the edges will mostly likely get scrapped off. Even if a little.

Now I challenge you to consider, the 1 hr you spent into prepping 1 wheel *4 and extra time to remove and trash everything is probably about 1/2-3/4 the cost of a powder coat job in wages.

I've PD my stock 18s before (cuz i got into an accident and wanted to get rid of the severe curb rash) with them off... took my time to do everything perfectly... But I ended taking them off because it eventually faded in color and something nicked a chunk off and annoyed me. Never doing it again. Just my 2 cents.
I ended up masking off the areas of the lugnuts so hopefully it won't be too bad removing the wheels.

I understand where you're coming from but if I could show you a closeup of the rims before they were dipped (edit pic below), they were in terrible condition. I was constantly getting people telling me I needed to clean them when it was actually some of the paint peeling off and bad rash....I'm the 3rd owner of the car and I believe the 2nd owner lived in NYC with it so the rims definitely took a beating.

I did not want to spend a chunk of cash getting them powder coated or professionally painted as I plan on getting the mate graphite CV3s at some point anyway.

Edit: Found an old pic. Here:

Any tips for plasti dipping with the wheels on?-itntx.jpg

30 dollars to dip these beats driving around with these imo and I like the look, obviously nothing compared to a nice set of aftermarket rims which i would never in a million years plasti dip.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:02 PM
breftayka

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Leave em with the cards on em.... Siiiiiick

Name:  darvinmoon-philivey.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  63.9 KB
InbeforeMiscdetectives
Name:  16203400_MikeMatusowTrophy.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  31.8 KB

Last edited by breftayka; 05-29-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:28 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
30 dollars to dip these beats driving around with these imo and I like the look, obviously nothing compared to a nice set of aftermarket rims which i would never in a million years plasti dip.
Why not? If it doesn'st look cheap and crappy, why wouldn't you plasti dip a nice set of aftermarket wheels? Don't you think it looks good? Doesn't it enhance the look of the wheels?
Old 05-29-2012, 07:32 PM
Emillion45

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Why not? If it doesn'st look cheap and crappy, why wouldn't you plasti dip a nice set of aftermarket wheels? Don't you think it looks good? Doesn't it enhance the look of the wheels?
This guy..
Old 05-29-2012, 07:52 PM
nukee26

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Look, to me the main reason you're gettin flamed is because you painted the wheels with them still on the damn car. Everybody on here told you to get the wheel locks taken care of first as it's a pretty damn big issue to just be dealing with and painting with the wheels on is cutting some big corners.

That all said, it's your car so I don't give two ****s about what you do to it.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:58 PM
Conn

This is the official "get your e-peen up" thread

Quick Reply: Any tips for plasti dipping with the wheels on?