G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Any tips for plasti dipping with the wheels on?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 02:12 PM
Emillion45

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
There's nothing "positive" about using a spray can of "plasti-dip" on a fkn G37. Period. Not to mention he did it ON the car.

That overspray will look great!

I've had more experience with automotive paint than 90% of the people on this forum.

My advice. Stay in college.

My opinion is worth just as much as your ignorance.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:23 PM
Wyldfyer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Emillion45
There's nothing "positive" about using a spray can of "plasti-dip" on a fkn G37. Period. Not to mention he did it ON the car.

I've had more experience with automotive paint than 90% of the people on this forum.

Like you said. It's a G37. Some of you act like this isn't a Nissan or something LOL. Like this is some collectible. It's a common car. It's not an exotic. Maybe it's the best car that YOU have ever had so you act like it's a Ferrari. We are talking about what chemical is best to use when temporarily painting wheels. (but all these guys miss that temporary part). I just can't believe so many "guys" are acting like women...as if someone is using the wrong nail polish LOL.

I just don't know what people accomplish by commenting on a thread that you don't agree with. There is a positive way to tell someone your opinion as it relates to THEIR car.

But hey, if you are the kind of person who gets his rocks off of belittling other people, be my guest. But if you do it in an open forum, expect the same.

Last edited by Wyldfyer; 05-29-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:49 PM
jesse550

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Emillion45

You're gonna stray that low as to bring my education in to this? What kind of self absorbed d-bag are you?

Are you still bitter that people can buy the G37 for literally half the price you probably paid? Apparently my unfinished college education is doing me a lot better than whatever you have since I don't have anything up my @$$ when it comes to what people to do their OWN CARS.

By the way, please do show me the f***ing overspray becauce I sure as hell didn't spend over an hour masking off the wheels to protect the brakes. If you're talking about the spray landing on the inner parts of the wheels, it would have happened anyway. by the way, as wyldfyer mentions, IT RUBS OFF.

kan u point et out for me pls, i iz teh n00b?

Any tips for plasti dipping with the wheels on?-nadqs.jpg

Originally Posted by Wyldfyer
Like you said. It's a G37. Some of you act like this isn't a Nissan or something LOL. Like this is some collectible. It's a common car. It's not an exotic. Maybe it's the best car that YOU have ever had so you act like it's a Ferrari. We are talking about what chemical is best to use when temporarily painting wheels. (but all these guys miss that temporary part). I just can't believe so many "guys" are acting like women...as if someone is using the wrong nail polish LOL (LMAO).

I just don't know what people accomplish by commenting on a thread that you don't agree with. There is a positive way to tell someone your opinion as it relates to THEIR car.

But hey, if you are the kind of person who gets his rocks off of belittling other people, be my guest. But if you do it in an open forum, expect the same.
Man, I feel like you're the only one that pays attention here. People really do act like these are ferraris and that there is some sort of special status people get with owning one. The price of a used one is literally half of a new one. Even people who put underglow on their hondas don't do it because it's a honda, they do it because they like it -__-.

I feel like there'd be more G owners on this forum if there wasn't as much hate as all the other forums.

I'm glad there was at least one person who knows the story with the grille, hell even if they didn't the first lines literally said not to comment about the grille and that I'm getting one in the immediate future.

Thanks!

P.S. I've actually had quite a few people PM me and ask me how to do it with the wheels on. Go figure, I knew I wasn't the only one.

Last edited by jesse550; 05-29-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:05 PM
DashKid
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jesse550
You're gonna stray that low as to bring my education in to this? What kind of self absorbed d-bag are you?

Are you still bitter that people can buy the G37 for literally half the price you probably paid? Apparently my unfinished college education is doing me a lot better than whatever you have since I don't have anything up my @$$ when it comes to what people to do their OWN CARS.

By the way, please do show me the f***ing overspray becauce I sure as hell didn't spend over an hour masking off the wheels to protect the brakes. If you're talking about the spray landing on the inner parts of the wheels, it would have happened anyway. by the way, as wyldfyer mentions, IT RUBS OFF.

kan u point et out for me pls, i iz teh n00b?

Man, I feel like you're the only one that pays attention here. People really do act like these are ferraris and that there is some sort of special status people get with owning one. The price of a used one is literally half of a new one. Even people who put underglow on their hondas don't do it because it's a honda, they do it because they like it -__-.

I feel like there'd be more G owners on this forum if there wasn't as much hate as all the other forums.

I'm glad there was at least one person who knows the story with the grille, hell even if they didn't the first lines literally said not to comment about the grille and that I'm getting one in the immediate future.

Thanks!

P.S. I've actually had quite a few people PM me and ask me how to do it with the wheels on. Go figure, I knew I wasn't the only one.

I feel you man. Haters gonna hate. I would of done the same thing if I knew I was keeping my stock wheels. Look good.

To everyone else to bashed on the OP. Please post you're pics up of your work if you used real paint to black out you're wheels or emblems. I want to see the quality on it.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:09 PM
jesse550

Originally Posted by DashKid
I feel you man. Haters gonna hate. I would of done the same thing if I knew I was keeping my stock wheels. Look good.

To everyone else to bashed on the OP. Please post you're pics up of your work if you used real paint to black out you're wheels or emblems. I want to see the quality on it.
Thanks man, means a lot.

I'm sorry for lashing back, I'm done feeding the haters, I'm just going to ignore any more from now on however I felt I should share my side at least once.

Also everyone, do notice I live in an apartment complex and there ARE cars that may park on either side of me INCLUDING kids running around and playing, many of them who don't have a care in the world for other people's stuff. Leaving tires and nuts lying around probably isn't a great idea let alone barely having space to put them anywhere.

Not sure why people think I wanted to end up doing more work to get the job done than it would have required if I took them off. Obviously I would have taken the easier route if I thought I could.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:24 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts

Old 05-29-2012, 04:33 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Old 05-29-2012, 04:53 PM
Wyldfyer

LOL at Black Betty! Even though he doesn't approve of Plasti-dip, I can say that he has expressed it with class unlike some of these other guys.

To jesse550: All good, bro! It looks good. You have way more patience than I do... especially after seeing all of the taping off and stuff you did.

GOOD JOB!
Old 05-29-2012, 04:59 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

I wholeheartedly approve of plastidip. Just not for the uses that it's is popular for among a certain element of the G37 crowd.

I use it. I have plastidipped the handle of my long breaker bar. And some of my small brushes. And other tools. And in several other applications that I can't think of at the moment. I'd consider using it in my wheel wells or on my undercarriage. I wouldn't use it as an exterior finish on my car. Not even on my beater.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:11 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Sorry, I get the "it's my car and I do what I want" but if I see something I dont agree with I am going to let you know. Just like if I see something I like.

Based on your justification then I take it putting a home made wood spoiler on the car would also be ok?
Old 05-29-2012, 05:28 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 05-29-2012, 05:29 PM
jesse550

Originally Posted by Kidcane
Sorry, I get the "it's my car and I do what I want" but if I see something I dont agree with I am going to let you know. Just like if I see something I like.

Based on your justification then I take it putting a home made wood spoiler on the car would also be ok?
If you like it, yeah. It might probably look better if you plasti dipped it though, rather than keeping the wood finish, but if you like it, sobeit.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:29 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Name:  q354.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  68.8 KB
Old 05-29-2012, 05:34 PM
TimG37x
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gamedog

Thoroughly lost it.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:38 PM
ucla bruin

Originally Posted by B L U E S L A T E
Powder coating isn't that expensive... I've done a few set and couple sets even with some crazy hard multilayer colors... never spent more than 300 for a set and usually only about 200. This is including the stripping and prepping as well.

I've plastidipped only one thing on my car and it's my strut bar brackets, and I'm actually thinking of just painting them because the strut tower nuts are stripping the rubbery paint when I tighten them. lol

Plastidipped is pretty good if you're going to just do simple little things like emblems, interior trims (steering wheel bezel especially), and maybe front grill as well. It is very convenient to use because you do not have to prep the surface as long as it's dust and grim free. But other than that, it's pretty useless to me.
Originally Posted by Black Betty
I wholeheartedly approve of plastidip. Just not for the uses that it's is popular for among a certain element of the G37 crowd.

I use it. I have plastidipped the handle of my long breaker bar. And some of my small brushes. And other tools. And in several other applications that I can't think of at the moment. I'd consider using it in my wheel wells or on my undercarriage. I wouldn't use it as an exterior finish on my car. Not even on my beater.
+1 what these guys said.

lolz.

Quick Reply: Any tips for plasti dipping with the wheels on?