G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Unimpressive acceleration off the line...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 11:02 AM
trcb777

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The engine is low at producing torque at low rpm but the gearing of the 7at especially in 1st gear make up for that.

Car manufacturers are always balancing that with engine hp and the torque band with gas mileage and performance.

The 7at shifts into 2nd gear in about 1 1/2 seconds under normal acceleration and cruising in 5th or 6 th by 50 mph.

We could change the rear gears to something extreme like 4.88's and the car would be a stump puller with zero traction. Same engine but is now a torque monster. My highschool buddy's dad has a 68 camaro setup for the 1/8 mile with 4.88 and can only go about 50 on the highway still screaming at about 4500 rpm.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:02 AM
CoolBreeze
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, using 93 octane.

Based on other posts I read about the grounding kit, I thought about installing that to see if I get an improvement. I ran that by an Infiniti factory rep, and he said installation of the kit would void any electrical related warranty concerns since I modified the vehicle’s electrical system. I also asked about installing cold air intakes. Again, it would void the warranty for any of my throttle related issues. I would have to prove beyond a doubt that the CAI’s did not affect anything. Ditto for installing aftermarket monitoring, such as HKS Camp II. Portions of the warranty would be voided, which bugs me since this is the first car I ever owned which does not have an oil pressure gauge. <O</O
<O</O

As for the last comment about not driving before buying. I did drive a like model on the lot before buying. The dealer placed an order for a car which had the options I wanted. The car was delivered and I took possession. I did not start to experience problems with the car until after a month I owned it. <O</O
<O</O

I realize the G37 is not a V8. It still is rated for 330 horse & 270 torque, which means there should be sufficient power. My concern is that I do not experience the problems I have with my car with the loaners I have driven. <O</O
<O</O

Other issues, most are intermittent:<O</O
<O</O
-The radio, whether in FM or XM, will go down one channel on the dial on its own, which happens not to be a preset. This happened even when I was sitting in the car warming it up, so it would discount going over a bump or somehow the wiring in the steering wheel affecting it.<O</O
-The music box and CD will go back to the beginning of an album. The same as the radio, it occured when the car was not moving. <O</O
-The Nav screen goes blank but the radio and HVAC functions still work.<O</O
-Voice commands are unrecognizable, other times they are, under the same conditions.<O</O
-The driver’s window at times will either go all of the way up or down – not able to stop it or move it to an incremental position. Other times when hitting the button the same way, the window will be able to stop in the position I intended. Now I see that there is a recall for the switch.<O</O
-Unintended acceleration. <O</O
-In the DS mode, the car races towards red line even with my foot not on the accelerator pedal. Slap the shifter back in D, the RPM’s lower back to normal.<O</O
-Power seat problems. I took the car in twice and the dealer said there was not a problem, even though it was occurring 100% of the time. I got Consumer Affairs involved. Took it back for a third time. After having the car for a week, they found a bad module. <O</O
-With slightly hard to hard braking, the driver’s lurches forward slightly.<O</O
<O</O

When driving to work this morning, I engaged the paddle shifters. I was in 6th gear going 35 MPH. IMO, this is too high of a gear for that speed, which would explain my lack of punch at lower speeds. <O</O
<O</O

As for driving with paddles most of the time, I purposely got an automatic this time after driving sticks for 18 years. One of my other cars has a stick so I have the pleasure of driving that for my stick fix.

<O</O

If everything is going OK, the car is a good comfortable ride and nice highway cruiser. <O</O
Old 05-18-2012, 11:26 AM
jsp872

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Omg... you have so many problems, that's pretty ridiculous!!
I would try to get Cosumer Affairs involved to mention all these problems and try to get another car....

cuz I have a 2011 xS coupe, and I have none of the problems you mentioned....
I had my car for about 9 months now
I do have an intake and exhaust installed that might help with the acceleration a little bit,
but oh man... your problems are so freaking ridiculous!!
and I started modding well after 1 month mark, and I had none of these acceleration issues with mine

Just as a reference, my x coupe has: sport, premium and nav package, not that it really matters but just wanted to give you a better reference

Last edited by jsp872; 05-18-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:49 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
In the DS mode, the car races towards red line even with my foot not on the accelerator pedal. Slap the shifter back in D, the RPM’s lower back to normal

Was that every fixed?? What did they do.. Intakes will void your warrenty, monitoring systems will void your warrenty?? What kinda mickey mouse dealer did you buy from, Go somewhere else, Intakes and Exhaust will not void anything, Heck I'm bolted FI making 400WHP and still have my warrenty.. Bolt ons will void nothing..

On another note sorry for ALL the issues you have had so far. have you talked to anyone about giving the car back, Lemon, I know there are not a lot of these with Infiniti but there was at least one on here I remember. With all the electrical issues you've had sounds like a broken wire in the main harness some where shorting things out.. If you have all this documented you may want to talk to someone about returning the car for another one...

Kills me" Intakes Void warenty", Sorry...
Old 05-18-2012, 03:25 PM
Tsugumo

Sounds like some serious electrical issues there. If there car isn't shifting properly and DS mode causes the the throttle to freak out then the car really isn't safe to drive imo. I hope you're able to get to the bottom of your dilema or get a replacement.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:50 PM
jking

i have a 08 coupe s so far so good, paddles work fine and i drive agressive also have a intake dealership said its ok to do bolt on only
Old 05-20-2012, 12:36 PM
08INFINITIG37S

Originally Posted by G37CPA
Likely Bush's fault that your car does not meet your expectations.
LOL....Everything else in this country is blamed on Bush, so why not this? Yes, I am a Republican...and damned proud of it!!....

Last edited by 08INFINITIG37S; 05-20-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:33 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by 08INFINITIG37S
LOL....Everything else in this country is blamed on Bush, so why not this? Yes, I am a Republican...and damned proud of it!!....
Preaching to the choir here as well
Old 05-22-2012, 02:06 PM
CoolBreeze
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The same as jsp872, I have sport, premium, & nav, along with the aesthetic options. I purposely held out for the 2011’s because I wanted the sport package with the AWD. I know some people do not like them, but the sport seats fit me quite nicely.
<O
I am very well documented on my problems and conversations I had with both the dealer and Consumer Affairs. I did file a lemon claim through the state. The state attorney general’s office was very supportive of my claim and indicated that I had a good case. However, before the lemon case can proceed, Infiniti has to have one last chance to rectify the problems. A factory rep came out and scoped out the car. The rep told me that there would be a transmission software upgrade coming out later in the year that should take car of my acceleration concerns. The rep wrote a letter back to the state that nothing was wrong with my car. The state got back to me saying that they no longer support my claim because Infiniti said I did not have any problems, and I can get a lawyer and sue Infiniti if I so choose.<O</O

I thought, well ain’t this special. It would be like the government asking BP to go down to the Gulf after the spill and assess if they have any liability. BP comes back and says nope. The government then tells BP they are off of the hook. And no, I am not making a political statement here, just giving a hypothetical example. <O</O

If I would get a lawyer, most of the stuff will come down to he said-she said (btw, I am the he in this). The dealer cannot replicate most of my problems. My legal costs will run into the thousands. Infiniti with their payroll lawyers will try to stretch things, increasing my expenses, hoping to bleed me dry so I quit or settle for less.<O</O

I do have a few things going for me though. If there is not a problem with the transmissions, why did Infiniti make a major change for the 2012’s and working on a fix for the 2011’s & 2010’s? The other things I have are comments which the dealer and Consumer Affairs made which I found out were not true and one possible smoking gun which I want to keep in my back pocket for now, so is not Web searchable in case I do move forward. <O</O

Lord knows down the road how this all will affect the resale of the car. The CARFAX report probably will show unresolved problems. If I had a choice of this clean low mileage ride or the other clean low mileage one with reported problems, I know which one I would lean towards buying. <O</O
Old 05-24-2012, 11:33 AM
BlackGSedaN1027

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
Preaching to the choir here as well
+1. Definitely agree.