G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Unimpressive acceleration off the line...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 02:11 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Please don't turn this thread into another G37 vs 335 discussion!
Old 05-16-2012, 05:34 AM
Lt8Che
'Cuz Racemod-erator

Received 316 Likes on 204 Posts
Originally Posted by G37Sam
Please don't turn this thread into another G37 vs 335 discussion!
Hahahaha
Old 05-16-2012, 08:35 AM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
all i can say is try driving a 4-banger for a week, then take out the G. It will feel fast. You can never have the fastest car. So what if a 89 turbo civic (or any other car) burns you. You have power leather seats, dead quiet interior, a sweet center screen and all the other goodies a G37 has that the others don't. Plus it's got oomph when you really need it (for on-ramps and passing).
Old 05-16-2012, 09:36 AM
CoolBreeze
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am like the OP, my 11 xS coupe is a dog off of the line. Last night, a Ford Focus accelerated way better than me from a traffic light. <O</O

There have been numerous occasions where I hit the gas and nothing happens. Because of this, when making a left turn into oncoming traffic, I wait until the coast is relatively clear before turning, much to the chagrin of people behind me. I already hung out in no man’s land a couple of times with an unresponsive accelerator.
<O</O

When punching the car to pass, it takes about a couple of seconds for the car to downshift and rev up. It is like there is a huge turbo lag. Because of this, I use the paddle shifters for these situations. I should not have to.<O</O
<O</O

When I get an AWD sedan loaner, I do not experience any of the throttle lags. The car seems much quicker. I thought the coupes were supposed to be quicker than the sedans.<O</O
<O</O

Yes, I have taken my car into the dealer to look and correct this problem. I had a tranny reflash over a year ago. There is supposed to be a software upgrade for the 2011’s late summer to early fall.<O</O
<O</O

Sometimes the dealer says they cannot replicate the problem so there is nothing they can do. Other times the dealer says that is the way the car is and there is nothing they can do.<O</O
<O</O

The bottom line is I have a car which I do not trust, and this is a shame. <O</O
Old 05-16-2012, 09:37 AM
Chi-City-G
Premier Member

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Tazicon
The other day my wife and I were taking the Z to drop off to get service done. Watching our G running down the road gave me goose bumps as it is such a sexy car. I don't get that way when I see a 3 series BMW. In my book you win.

^ This... couldn't agree more.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:07 PM
trcb777

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CoolBreeze
I am like the OP, my 11 xS coupe is a dog off of the line. Last night, a Ford Focus accelerated way better than me from a traffic light. <O</O

There have been numerous occasions where I hit the gas and nothing happens. Because of this, when making a left turn into oncoming traffic, I wait until the coast is relatively clear before turning, much to the chagrin of people behind me. I already hung out in no man’s land a couple of times with an unresponsive accelerator.
<O</O

When punching the car to pass, it takes about a couple of seconds for the car to downshift and rev up. It is like there is a huge turbo lag. Because of this, I use the paddle shifters for these situations. I should not have to.<O</O
<O</O

When I get an AWD sedan loaner, I do not experience any of the throttle lags. The car seems much quicker. I thought the coupes were supposed to be quicker than the sedans.<O</O
<O</O

Yes, I have taken my car into the dealer to look and correct this problem. I had a tranny reflash over a year ago. There is supposed to be a software upgrade for the 2011’s late summer to early fall.<O</O
<O</O

Sometimes the dealer says they cannot replicate the problem so there is nothing they can do. Other times the dealer says that is the way the car is and there is nothing they can do.<O</O
<O</O

The bottom line is I have a car which I do not trust, and this is a shame. <O</O
That Sucks, did it do it on your test drive?
Old 05-16-2012, 12:51 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
how many miles on you guys cars. Mine new 2011 G37X Coupe( NON S) Was by no means slow off the line. I would never be out pulled by a Focus, Thats too funny. The only thing mine did was PAUSE first then rip and take off. I had more than a handful of pulls VS my Wife 10 Sedan and we where always neck and neck, But then again a do a small roll out first, Never just jam the pedal down. Try rolling out like 1ft then jamming it.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:27 AM
CoolBreeze
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Responses back to both trcb77 & ANMVQ:

I did not test drive my car before buying, but I did drive another xS which was on the lot. I did not buy until the dealer got a car with the options and color I wanted.<O</O
<O</O

The acceleration problem did not start to happen until after about a month I got the car. <O</O
<O</O

I have had other electrical and mechanical concerns with my car. Some which got corrected, and others which happen intermittently, and of course do not happen when the dealer scopes it out.
<O</O
<O</O
I also have the harsh up shifting and down shifting problems others have expressed concerns about. <O</O
<O</O

I tried following the advice from Infiniti and others on this forum about the car having to learn your driving style, so I drove it like I stole it. The only thing it accomplished was gas mileage in the single digits around town. My gas mileage is not that great to begin with and it has been slowly creeping down, whereas I was told it should improve as the car breaks in. I am currently in the low to mid 13/23 mileage with sane driving.<O</O
<O</O
<O</O

Yeah, I suppose it was humorous to the Focus. We both drove off of the light and the Focus kind of got on it. I then depressed the accelerator to speed up and limited response. It is like I am in top gear and not getting any quick downshifting, and there should not be any major downshifting required since I am rolling at low speed. <O</O
<O</O

I have tried both punching the car and more easing into the pedal. An Infiniti regional factory rep has looked at the car a couple of times. I pointed out to him that the loaner cars I have driven have had responsive throttles. As above, the rep says the car needs to break in and learn me. It has been almost a year and a half. I must have one on those slow learners. <O</O
<O</O

The rep said that the upcoming tranny fix should solve my problem. Other than that, there is nothing they can do for me at this time. <O</O
Old 05-17-2012, 10:24 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Thanx man for the info , what other issues have you had, Electrical? Anything to do with how the cars is reacting?? Top gear, Have you tried driving in manual mode? Is see if the tranny is actually dropping into first? I actually never drive mine in "D",, Shutting..

An question I think no one has asked,, Gas your using is 93 Correct? How does it drive when your not hitting it from a stop, down shifts under WOT ok? Could be a converter lock up issue.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:28 PM
NBE-ON'D
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Just a quick thought, that sounds like a grounding issue. I'm willing to bet if that is "properly" looked at your problem goes away. You'll thank me latter.

Cheers
Old 05-17-2012, 05:23 PM
kanariya

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tonewheel
Guys... My '12 G37XS coupe is now 4 months in my possession. Love this car in every way, but I'm truly unimpressed with the off-the-line acceleration. Unless I hit the gas really hard, I have Camrys and Impalas passing me with ease from a red light stop. It isn't until I'm up around 35 that the acceleration becomes responsive.

Thoughts and comments? Is it the 7AT, which many are unimpressed with?
I drive a 09 X sedan. This has been my main issue for the G.
Everytime I bring it up, guys here would laugh saying blah blah blah 330HP.

The issue is this car has bad low end torque. Combines it with the quirky 7AT, throttle lag. I'd expect much more from a $40k 330hp car.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:21 PM
Sython

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tonewheel
Guys... My '12 G37XS coupe is now 4 months in my possession. Love this car in every way, but I'm truly unimpressed with the off-the-line acceleration. Unless I hit the gas really hard, I have Camrys and Impalas passing me with ease from a red light stop. It isn't until I'm up around 35 that the acceleration becomes responsive.

Thoughts and comments? Is it the 7AT, which many are unimpressed with?
Probably a good reason why right there. Unless you are in Michigan or in WV AWD really isn't that great...

You are driving the heaviest G37 outside of the auto convertible. This is a high RPM car meant for cornering and road racing, not for straight line victories. Go get a Mustang 5.0 if that is where your passion is. Yes, it's low RPM torque is not great, but this engine is meant to sing, and when it does...it is awesome.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:01 AM
1NEETO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sython
Probably a good reason why right there. Unless you are in Michigan or in WV AWD really isn't that great...

You are driving the heaviest G37 outside of the auto convertible. This is a high RPM car meant for cornering and road racing, not for straight line victories. Go get a Mustang 5.0 if that is where your passion is. Yes, it's low RPM torque is not great, but this engine is meant to sing, and when it does...it is awesome.
Thanks for the laugh. Although you're right about this being a high strung engine.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:02 AM
1NEETO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
And who the hell buys a car without test driving it first?
Old 05-18-2012, 02:21 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
I find it weird that people are complaining about low end torque. Sure it is no V8 but I have no problems off the line. The only issue I have is keeping traction to minimize wheel spin.

Quick Reply: Unimpressive acceleration off the line...