G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Unimpressive acceleration off the line...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 02:02 PM
trcb777

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Maybe something is wrong. Are you starting out in 1st gear? First gear in the 7at is pretty aggressive and under normal acceleration it will shift to second gear at probably less then 10 mph. Full throttle acceleration first to second shift happens at around 30 mph.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:10 PM
hinomura

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Question about the car learning the driver's normal driving patterns: Does this only apply to the transmission or does it apply to the ECU as well? I was just wondering since I have a 6MT.

P.S. I got spanked out of an intersection by a 335iS yesterday morning on the way to work. *sigh*
Old 05-15-2012, 02:56 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Did you try DS mode?
Old 05-15-2012, 03:06 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by hinomura
Question about the car learning the driver's normal driving patterns: Does this only apply to the transmission or does it apply to the ECU as well? I was just wondering since I have a 6MT.

P.S. I got spanked out of an intersection by a 335iS yesterday morning on the way to work. *sigh*
A 335 is a faster car. It applies to the ECU not the tranny.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:09 PM
NBE-ON'D
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DaCePtak0n
The Sedans are extremely quick, exponentially quicker than the coupes. I had the same sentiment as you.

Coupes are stunning to look at but slow. Sedans are not great to look at but amazingly fast...

The stunning part I think is true, but both are actually not that quick.
I love my coupe, it has tons of potential to look even better while maintaining the overall stock look. The engine has a nice sound to it as well, the ride and build quality are good, its fairly efficient for a sporty mid level luxury coupe. So the overall platform gets an "A" in my book.

Also I like the fact that I can take it for a drive through the mountains, enjoy it, while being comfortable, pull up to the hotel and be "stealthy", yet still turn heads because its an attractive car. Sure I had to put a little bit of money into it to light a little fire under its ****, but so what. In my mind I saved a minimum of +30K /plus Tax and still got something I like to look at and enjoy driving.

The infiniti was on my shopping list, and I ended up buying my semi-retired accountants G37S that was hardly ever used, so really I saved a minimum 60K plus Tax compared to everything else I was looking at. If I wanted pure power and performance I would of bought a new CTS-V, M3, RS4, GT-R, or Carrera S.

The car is a bit on the heavy side and the engine makes no torque (the ability to do work). So having a "full" exhaust done on it helps immensely and the sound factor was worth it alone. Throw in a intake, keep your warranty, your license and your laughing. So new or used, bang for our buck is definitely top notch.

No need for disapointment but I am now bias, the guy in the Camry likely had his gas pedal stuck to the floor,... literally.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:23 PM
trcb777

The 335is is an absolute torque monster, making about 100 ft/lbs then are mighty VQ engine. Plus it makes the the torque at something like 1300 rpm.

I really hope the next G has a turbo option in the 40K price range. Probably not. Maybe direct injection will give the G a little bump.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:28 PM
hinomura

Originally Posted by Tazicon
A 335 is a faster car. It applies to the ECU not the tranny.
Yeah I know the 335iS has insanely more torque than we do. I didn't expect to beat him, my butt still hurts though lol. And thanks for the answer it prob helps to explain why I get throttle lag sometimes, I drive like a granny usually to help save on gas. Guess I need to get on the throttle every once in a while.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:31 PM
trcb777

The 335is guy was probably already spooled up and ready to launch, might even have launch control..
Old 05-15-2012, 03:39 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by hinomura
Yeah I know the 335iS has insanely more torque than we do. I didn't expect to beat him, my butt still hurts though lol. And thanks for the answer it prob helps to explain why I get throttle lag sometimes, I drive like a granny usually to help save on gas. Guess I need to get on the throttle every once in a while.
The other day my wife and I were taking the Z to drop off to get service done. Watching our G running down the road gave me goose bumps as it is such a sexy car. I don't get that way when I see a 3 series BMW. In my book you win.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:02 PM
NBE-ON'D
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Came back to check out the thread, ....... it looks to be jacked.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:14 PM
EricP3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Sedans are extremely quick, exponentially quicker than the coupes. I had the same sentiment as you.

Coupes are stunning to look at but slow. Sedans are not great to look at but amazingly fast...
Can we please get some more comments on this quote?
Old 05-15-2012, 09:29 PM
hinomura

Originally Posted by trcb777
The 335is guy was probably already spooled up and ready to launch, might even have launch control..
Yeah I just took off like normal, I didn't rev the engine and dump the clutch so I definitely did not launch out of the gates as quickly as I could have. I also did not push it to redline as it was raining and I didn't want to take any silly chances just to satisfy my ego.

Originally Posted by Tazicon
The other day my wife and I were taking the Z to drop off to get service done. Watching our G running down the road gave me goose bumps as it is such a sexy car. I don't get that way when I see a 3 series BMW. In my book you win.
Haha, thanks Taz.

Originally Posted by EricP3
Can we please get some more comments on this quote?
Well the sedan is lighter by like 100 lbs, not sure if it makes that much difference but for my year (2011) at least the 0-60 for coupes was listed at 5.1 and for the sedan it was listed at 5.0. Also, I like the way the sedans look. The rears on the coupe are too thick for me, that rear bumper is just way too fat for my tastes. I like a little junk in the trunk but the coupes are a little bit more than I can handle.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:33 PM
DaCePtak0n

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Comparing a loaner G37x versus my G37s, the loaner, by far, felt faster and consumed gas more efficiently than the G37s.

But then again, it's a X versus S; Maybe thats like comparing Ashlee Simpson to Jessica lol
Old 05-15-2012, 11:41 PM
Tonewheel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But then again, it's a X versus S; Maybe thats like comparing Ashlee Simpson to Jessica lol
Your car is not a bimbo...
Old 05-16-2012, 12:05 AM
tbear

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sure you are not in snow mode? That will produce your symptoms.

Quick Reply: Unimpressive acceleration off the line...