G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

How much mileage is too much before buying?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 08:23 AM
machinist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol, you'd think it'd be called "kilometerage" up here in Toronto, but we call it mileage too

Yeah, I guess it does give me a bit more peace of mind with the 70,000km (43,000 miles), but it sucks that it's outside it's warranty period. That's the only thing that had me slightly concerned. And you know what, there's not even a question in my mind whether I want this g37s, I can't stop thinking about it. I just keep trying to toss up whether it's worth giving up a 2011 Hyundai Elantra with low mileage and still under factory warranty for the G37. The g37 would make me a TON happier, but I keep being stuck on whether I can justify spending the $6500 in addition to my trade in
Old 05-16-2012, 08:36 AM
Clutchr6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is very low mileage for an 08 my 2011 almost has 30,000 on the clock and no problems.
Research warranty companies if that makes you feel better. Can you afford if the car breaks down etc.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:40 AM
machinist

Hmm, interesting point, I always just thought you can only purchase extended warranty while the car is under factory warranty, or at least that's what the dealership led me to believe. I'll research around, thanks for the idea
Old 05-16-2012, 08:46 AM
jesse550

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by machinist
Hmm, interesting point, I always just thought you can only purchase extended warranty while the car is under factory warranty, or at least that's what the dealership led me to believe. I'll research around, thanks for the idea
I believe every dealership offers some sort of extended warranty, even if you're outside of the factory period...they just want the extra money. The one I got it from (not an infiniti dealer) offered a 3 month warranty and the option to purchase the extended warranty at any time within those 3 months...I didn't do it though. Had an extended warranty with my mom's bmw and it didn't cover crap, we were better off paying for repairs instead and not getting the warranty...
Old 05-16-2012, 08:48 AM
machinist

yeah, that would be one of my concerns as well, based on a few other ppl who I've spoken to. The advice is typically to be wary of what terms & conditions the warranty does indeed cover so i'm not getting screwed in the end, in the event something should happen to the car. I'll check with the dealership either way, to see what it is they offer, cost, etc
Old 05-16-2012, 08:58 AM
jesse550

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
yeah, that would be one of my concerns as well, based on a few other ppl who I've spoken to. The advice is typically to be wary of what terms & conditions the warranty does indeed cover so i'm not getting screwed in the end, in the event something should happen to the car. I'll check with the dealership either way, to see what it is they offer, cost, etc
Good luck dude! hope to see you part of the g37 family soon
Old 05-16-2012, 09:00 AM
machinist

Thanks brother, I'll take all the luck I can get with this...I've already paid $300 for a full inspection & computer diagnostics, so I'm pretty damn serious about getting back into a g37, after I had sold my '09 g37x coupe a couple years back.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:23 PM
Thekid55

Bought my 08 G37S last month with 40,000 exactly on it and i love it. Was originally a lease and car is pretty much in perfect condition. Couple scratches, but the car has been covered on the all cosmetic issues. Good dealers will help and doing your research is a plus. Also bumping the warranty up on there wrap program is not bad deal.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:54 AM
pauly

i know its a 3.7, but just to give a testimony of infinity reliability, my buddy's 2004 G35 has over 160,000 hard, HARD miles on it. still smokes the tires and runs like a bat out of hell. this guy drives more abusively than anyone i have ever met. dont sweat the miles
Old 06-06-2012, 12:42 PM
RichAllen

Buying an older G37S

I bought a 2008 with 30,000 miles on it. I now have 59,000 miles.
I took it to Infiniti the day I bought it and asked for a complete check up.
They replaced the front rotors and did a break job at no charge said they found a warranty notice about a noise when breaking (I never heard a noise), I also had a scratch on the steering wheel that bothered when I bought it, the dealer said it was covered and replaced the steering wheel also at no cost. I have never been so impressed with a dealer that I did not have to beg to do work. They went over board and gave me a loaner car while they did the work. With 59,000 miles I consider her broken in, runs like a champ and a pleasure to drive.

Only mod I have done is a Stillen Mod3 intake, otherwise stock.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:54 PM
machinist

I'm back at it again boys...found another 08 G37S coupe with Navigation with 73,000 km and I'm going to pull the trigger tomorrow morning assuming the presale inspection at the Infiniti dealership I'm taking it to gives it the green light. Wish me luck! After reading this thread, I feel ok finally with the high kilometers
Old 07-18-2012, 03:56 PM
MonsterRod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm back at it again boys...found another 08 G37S coupe with Navigation with 73,000 km and I'm going to pull the trigger tomorrow morning assuming the presale inspection at the Infiniti dealership I'm taking it to gives it the green light. Wish me luck! After reading this thread, I feel ok finally with the high kilometers
I seriously dont get why pepole think 70k km's is high? If you do the regular maintenance on an import you will have no problems hitting the 250k-300k km's with only routine work.

The G has a nice big V6 which can more than handle 300k km's so long as all the routine check ups are done!

I am on my second G. This time around I bought the 2011 IPL edition (new) which was on the dealer lot for almost a year. They used it to bring to all the car shows in the province.

Put the big girl panties on, buy the G and thank me in 5 years and 100k km's from now.

Last edited by MonsterRod; 07-18-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:12 AM
XCoop

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
If you were getting a BMW, I would be concerned about the mileage because the reliability isn't tight. With Infiniti, the higher mileage drives down the cost more, and often makes the higher mileage vehicles the better deal. Also, I wouldn't get one with tires that look like the car has sat for a while. It's better to drive cars than to store them, and it also makes you wonder why the car was sitting idle for so long. The only cars I've ever stored have been because something was wrong with them. Also, people pay such a premium for low mileage vehicles, and often there is more problems. A car with lots of short trips and low mileage will usually have more wear than a car that has mostly highway miles. As you don't know how it was driven, it makes more sense to get the more depreciated vehicle, as if it has high miles for its age, you can bet they were highway miles. Either way the extra you save up front will usually more than compensate for any additional maintenance and repair when you are talking about highly reliable vehicles such as this. My ex-wife once insisted on buying a used Audi, and I said the only way it would make sense was with a extended warranty, as reliability and parts were so expensive. The warranty covered a $6500 valve job the car needed at 80k.

Don't run regular in this car. It can lead to overheating and your mileage will drop. 11:1 compression and regular gas don't make sense. The manual warns you not to use regular, and notes if regular is your only option, to only gas up enough to get to a service station that has premium. Proper gas is part of proper maintenance, and if you want it to last a long time, you need to properly maintain it. It is pretty black and white. Sure there's people who will tell you oil changes only need to be done every 25k too, but that doesn't mean it's right. If you don't think you can afford premium, you shouldn't be considering this car. At Costco, premium usually only costs 12 cents more than regular.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:26 AM
XCoop

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
If you do buy an extended warranty, don't buy it from the dealership, as they just mark them up. Research them online, and get a better warranty and price. Usually you're going to pay less without the warranty, but the warranty will eliminate worst case scenario. Another good thing about a warranty, when you do have a problem, you usually can just take it to the dealership and hopefully know that it will be repaired right, rather than trying to get the best deal.

Good luck with the G!
Old 07-19-2012, 08:16 AM
machinist

Gents,

Good points indeed. I'm getting the G from another dealership but had it serviced at actual Infiniti dealership yesterday morning. They found a moisture/leaking from the steering rack assembly, but when I took it back to the other dealership, they had their own mechanic look at it and say that "what's coming out is the grease". The moisture is fromt he boots from normal wear & tear. They claim that it's from the inner tire rod and that in order to pass safety, they'll replace it. they're willing to give me something in writing that claims there's nothing wrong with the steering rack assembly. So this of course has me scared and not scared due to the indication in writing they're willing to give. What the hell should I do now? lol

Quick Reply: How much mileage is too much before buying?