G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

How much mileage is too much before buying?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 03:26 AM
hustlerj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by machinist
Hi guys,

I've put a tentative offer on a 2008 G37s coupe with Navi & Premium package. The car currently has 70,000 km (= 43,495 miles) since I'm in Canada. Infiniti has a 4 year comprehensive bumper to bumper warranty and I believe that's up now. So the only thing I'd have left is the 5 year/110,000 km power train warranty. So I have 2 questions:

1) Is this a safe buy consider the high mileage? (note: the vehicle has had zero accidents)

2) Should I consider purchasing extended warranty or waste of money?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, as I have 48 hours to withdraw my offer.

Thanks in advance!

1. zero accidents doesn't mean its 100% no accidents. some people use money out of their own pocket to fix things. therefore, it doesn't report to carfax. always check the car carefully. look at everything! if i'm getting a G37s i would considered 2009+. there is more problems etc on the 2008 than the 2009+. 43k miles is not that high. remember the g37 is a very reliable car!

2. Yes. i will get the extended warranty. its worth it in the long run! must get it!

Good Luck!
Old 05-14-2012, 09:21 AM
DashKid
Banned

Buying a used car is very very risky but the outcome can be really great if you know what to look for and what not to look for. I would recommend that you pay a mechanic in your area to check the car for any previous damages. Just because the car runs fine doesn't mean it hasn't had problems in the past.

Also, it doesn't matter if a dealership sells a used G. They will keep and hide anything from you to sell a car and make profit hence why they are called the stealership.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:52 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
A bit off topic, but somewhat related.

I've been trying now for several months to sell my bike. It's 2 physical years old (had it since 3/2010), but is 4 model years old (2009 model). Now, it does have 34K miles on it --- yes, I ride ALOT. I've had several buyers express interest, but as soon as we get to mileage, they're completely turned off. The bike has not been abused, tracked, or crashed. For some reason, mileage kills the deal. I think it's the same way with cars. When you have a choice, most will probably chose the lower mileage vehicle, even if it hasn't been as well maintained. With prices being so close to new, it makes little sense to sell it. In fact, i'll probably keep it on the market through out the summer, but realistically, it'll likely sell in a few years for a few grand less.

With respect to cars, I bought my first car with 98K miles on it. Maintained it to hell and sold it many years later with 205K. Not too bad
Old 05-14-2012, 10:41 PM
machinist

So I did the full inspect & computer diagnostics ($300 later...sigh...) and it looks like the speaker wasn't working because of a blown fuse, which they fixed. They said the tires have weather cracks, so it'll be best if I change them soon, like very soon. I just don't know if it's worth paying an extra $7,000 to get this thing. I'm driving a 2011 hundai elantra right now and say what you want about it, but it's good on gas...if i'm spending $75/week on gas now, I wonder what it would increase to, y'know?
Old 05-14-2012, 10:54 PM
Gio37
Registered Member

Received 244 Likes on 166 Posts
as far as gas $$/week with the G, it just depends on you driving habits/conditions but you can get an idea here
Old 05-14-2012, 11:08 PM
machinist

good read, thanks for the link! The only challenge I'm having is deciding on regular or premium glass for the 08 g37s coupe...seems like some people favor regular claiming it makes no difference, while others are quite insistent on pumping with premium...wish it was just black and white
Old 05-15-2012, 01:12 AM
unknowndesi
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts
$7K is a lot to get the car running...tire cracks usually occur when a car sits around for a while but all in all its your choice if you like the fuel economy stick with the sonata I just filled up on 91 which gives me about 530km How much mileage is too much before buying?-tzheq.jpg, I would stay away since its already had one problem that wasnt even fixed from the dealer b4 you had a look at it... move on to the next one
Old 05-15-2012, 01:26 AM
machinist

Hmm, so you pay $106 to fill up the tank to full on 91 octane? I drive roughly 550 km/week. So would that mean I'd be spending on average $110/week on gas to be safe with numbers?

And yes, I agree, the speaker should have been fixed, but that's about the only thing wrong with the car aside from tires. I don't feel it's a financially wise thing for me to do right now, but I want this car so damn bad
Old 05-15-2012, 04:09 AM
jesse550

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
If it helps, I drove my g to school. 85 miles round trip per day and I would have 1/4 tank every 3 days. I'm sure you can get better mileage..I sure have a lead foot. I would usually fill the tank to about 15 o 16 gallons after the 3 days at Costco and it would cost maybe 60-65 bux. On the way back I would often ge stuck in dreaded NYC traffic so that definitely killed my fuel economy. Anyways, best of luck!
Old 05-15-2012, 07:41 AM
machinist

that does help paint a bigger picture for sure...I'm not sure what my avg fuel economy is, but I guess I'll go play around with the features to see if I can pull that info up. It'd be interesting to get a gauge on this number before taking the plunge
Old 05-15-2012, 07:43 AM
jesse550

that does help paint a bigger picture for sure...I'm not sure what my avg fuel economy is, but I guess I'll go play around with the features to see if I can pull that info up. It'd be interesting to get a gauge on this number before taking the plunge
Soooooooo...you got the car? :O
Old 05-15-2012, 07:52 AM
machinist

Well, I have an appointment at 9:30am this morning to go and finalize the deal. I can either kill the deal or seal the deal. I don't know why I feel so divided on this decision. On one hand, I have a 1 year old 2011 Hyundai Elantra Ltd with navigation, 4 door sedan, which makes it easier for me to get the child seat in & out, etc. On the other hand, I have this 5 year old 70,000 g37s that I'm getting a great deal on, but costing me $7K to buy after my trade in. Oh man, sucks being so indecisive about this
Old 05-15-2012, 08:14 AM
jesse550

Well, I have an appointment at 9:30am this morning to go and finalize the deal. I can either kill the deal or seal the deal. I don't know why I feel so divided on this decision. On one hand, I have a 1 year old 2011 Hyundai Elantra Ltd with navigation, 4 door sedan, which makes it easier for me to get the child seat in & out, etc. On the other hand, I have this 5 year old 70,000 g37s that I'm getting a great deal on, but costing me $7K to buy after my trade in. Oh man, sucks being so indecisive about this
Try to go on a test drive for as long as you can and really feel the car. If you can see yourself in it, get it

I have the 08 sport and it really is an awesome car.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:05 AM
machinist

So I walked away from the deal yesterday. For some reason, I just felt like it was a bad decision. Maybe it's the 70,000km or maybe it's just the extra $6500 that I've gotta pay. Or maybe it also had to do with considering how much more I'd have to pay in gas on a weekly basis. And here I am 24 hours later and I'm still on the fence, and yet I've gotta make a move on this if I don't wanna lose this deal.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:17 AM
jesse550

So I walked away from the deal yesterday. For some reason, I just felt like it was a bad decision. Maybe it's the 70,000km or maybe it's just the extra $6500 that I've gotta pay. Or maybe it also had to do with considering how much more I'd have to pay in gas on a weekly basis. And here I am 24 hours later and I'm still on the fence, and yet I've gotta make a move on this if I don't wanna lose this deal.
If you've walked away form it yet you're still on the fence, you know you want it

Seriously, that's really not a lot of mileage. As it's been proven on this forum, people are willing to buy these cars at above 100,000 miles (which definitely makes me personally feel better about getting it at 45,000 miles). My dad's 2000 bmw has 230,000 miles on it now. Good maintenance = win.

That has me thinking, we call it "mileage" in the states, what do you guys call `kilometerage` up there?

Quick Reply: How much mileage is too much before buying?