Sponsored By:

Off to college. Keep the G...or no?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 12:12 AM
ayarj12
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Off to college. Keep the G...or no?

Aright guys, here's the story...bear with me. I'm currently a senior in high school registered to go to Washington State University in Pullman, Washington. The location is about 5 hours from Seattle (where I have family living) and about 1 and a half hours from Spokane.

Living in California, weather isn't a problem for the car or for me at all. However, in Pullman, winter is usually between November and early March with averages of 20-30 inches of snow.

So, the dilemma. My parents aren't letting me take the car with me when I go up there. Freshman can have cars. Parking isn't too expensive. The problem? Nature. My parents think that since there aren't indoor parking areas for students that the car will get messed up and rusted during the winter sitting in snow. I'm saying that I'll still drive it, get winter tires, get winter windshield washer fluid, winter wiper blades, and overall gear up for the snow. Also, if I want to go anywhere like Seattle or Spokane for any reason, I can do so and don't have to rely on flights that are expensive and frequently canceled. However, my argument isn't working to well.

I thought I'd ask you guys and see what you guys think. Should I leave the car and bring it up the next year? (<-- a plan proposed by my parents...seems SO dumb to me. What's the difference of taking it this year or next year???).

Oh, and if the car stays down here, it won't be driven a lot. It'll only be driven to keep the battery charged, or maybe not, most likely not. It'll just sit in the garage collecting dust.

Anyways, any ways to help strengthen my argument? Should I leave it down here? Anyone who lives in areas that get good amounts of snow have any advice to gear up for winter I can use in helping convince them?

Thanks for reading!
Old 05-04-2012, 12:39 AM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Honestly, frosh year is ripe with stupidity and a nice car on campus that year is a pretty big liability for YOU and your nice car. Sure, there are plusses to having your sweet ride with you, but you will be pressured by friends to have everyone pile in your car since they won't have one, and you will most assuredly have many chances where you can make a bad and costly decision. I remember piling in a friend's car once to go to a restaurant. We put 8 people into an integra which included one in the trunk.

I didn't have my car freshman year (3 series) and I didn't really miss it that much...most freshmen do this. I did a lot of walking from A to B with friends and had a great time doing it because you tend to run into people this way. Also, next year, like most sophomores, I moved to an apartment, where having a spot to park the car made it more practical. Although I still didn't use it much because the buses were more convenient than dealing with campus parking (YMMV).

Seattle is a long *** drive and parking sucks. If the weather is bad enough to get your flight canceled, why would you be driving anyway (especially if you're from socal?).

I think your parents are right on this and you should just enjoy your first year without worrying about your car. If you move out of the dorms and into a different place, having a car makes more sense IMO, but not for your first year. There are a number of things that can happen with drunk kids, of which there will be many in Pullman (not including you). You are also severely underestimating the wisdom you will gain from your first year there that will greatly benefit you if/when you decide to bring your car there.

TL;DR version- your parents are right. I'm not some old geezer either--I got my degree from U of Oregon in 06 and I'm 27.

Last edited by cruzmisl; 05-04-2012 at 12:54 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:16 AM
sharkey

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
One of the many choices of adult Hood, but it seems your parents have it set in stone. Should it matter what we think? Are you going to show your parents these posts for arguments sake?
Old 05-04-2012, 02:40 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
I'm assuming since you're in SoCal your G is a RWD.. not the best thing in snow tbh
Old 05-04-2012, 03:29 AM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Let me put this into perspective a different way. Your car is probably really exciting to you right now. As high school senior, having a sweet ride probably ranks higher on your give-a-**** meter than actually graduating high school. But going to college is going to be a very new experience that will probably overshadow all of that as you learn and experience freedom from home.

I think you are overestimating how useful & important a car is for a college freshman that will likely spend most of their time at or near campus.

You will walk to class, walk to other dorms, walk to the gym, hang out at dorms, hang out at campus. This will likely comprise 90% of your first year. You will walk because driving across campus will suck, because parking will suck.

You will make friends that have cars.

You can keep your car safe in a garage at home.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:35 AM
Sharkroy1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think keeping the G at home in SoCal is a great idea, it will keep the miles off it, and less chance of anything happening to it (LOTS of chaos can & will happen at college).
If you really want a car with you there, why not buy a $900 beater to abuse? I know you'd rather have your G for runnin' the ladies , but if you got game, you can pull 'em down in a Gremlin!
Old 05-04-2012, 06:52 AM
jesse550

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
LOL bad weather is the least of your worries on a college campus. Also plenty of us members have 24/7 outdoor kept cars and they still look brand spanking new with proper care. Why not go a semester without it to get to know the campus and the area better?

I hate to say it but your parents are right about not bringing it your first year. From what I've seen (including myself), college students tend to do the dumbest things during their first year (which is why I'm not dorming anymore and have to commute 1.5 hours to school).

Just finished my second year of college and I drove my G to school this spring semester and I'll tell you right now, next year I'm bringing a beater. The things I have seen people do on campus (saw someone back up right into a wall) are unbelievable. Seen one student duct taping their mirror back ON their car after getting it knocked off by hitting another car trying to back out.

If you have to park next to anyone on campus, your car probably wont come home without dings, scratches, or scrapes. If you park like a douche, someone will probably key your car. You can bring your car if you wish but I'm just gonna throw my two cents in here and say it's probably not work the risk, especially considering the work you've put in your car.

P.S. If you can, get a beater. I'm sure you can save up enough to get a beater if you work enough this summer.

Last edited by jesse550; 05-04-2012 at 07:06 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:04 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by cruzmisl
Let me put this into perspective a different way. Your car is probably really exciting to you right now. As high school senior, having a sweet ride probably ranks higher on your give-a-**** meter than actually graduating high school. But going to college is going to be a very new experience that will probably overshadow all of that as you learn and experience freedom from home.

I think you are overestimating how useful & important a car is for a college freshman that will likely spend most of their time at or near campus.

You will walk to class, walk to other dorms, walk to the gym, hang out at dorms, hang out at campus. This will likely comprise 90% of your first year. You will walk because driving across campus will suck, because parking will suck.

You will make friends that have cars.

You can keep your car safe in a garage at home.
Originally Posted by Sharkroy1
I think keeping the G at home in SoCal is a great idea, it will keep the miles off it, and less chance of anything happening to it (LOTS of chaos can & will happen at college).
If you really want a car with you there, why not buy a $900 beater to abuse? I know you'd rather have your G for runnin' the ladies , but if you got game, you can pull 'em down in a Gremlin!

Both of these are very good points. I know a lot of people that went to college and never had a car until their senior year. Also know a few that had one and hated it.

Being the car that it is, the location you'll be at, and the fact you have somewhere safe to keep it...if it were me, I'd leave it. You can still go home on vacation to visit and tear up the streets...I mean tracks....then

Do yourself a favor and park that beast.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:11 AM
defeated

I completely feel for you, I'd want my car, too, but I have to agree with everyone else, leave it safe at home for the first year at least.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:38 AM
Gville37

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
college campus= people dont care about your car--expect beer can rings on bumper and hood, aholes who will side swipe you with their crap hondas, and people who just dont care about preserving the well being of a car.

my parents made this deal with me...drive a semi beater car (i had vw passat 01) for 4 years of college from 2006-10 then when I graduated college they got me a nicer car...which for me was the 08 fully loaded g37.

see if you can work a deal with your folks on something.----if thats possible. best of luck with your decision but keep in mind on college campuses ...essentially your car is much more vulnerable to the elements being around a bunch of 18-21 yr old college kids
Old 05-04-2012, 08:49 AM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Having put two kids through college .... freshman year is rough, leave the car and it's distraction home.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:53 AM
silverg37

i would take my car, just make sure you park it somewhere safe and of course get cover for it.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:36 AM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
i agree with the others on leaving it at home. Hell, I want to stay home when there's bad weather and that's out of my control. I would not willingly let stupid people (college kids) go anywhere near my car if I had the choice. I also am not an old geezer. Park it for the first couple years and once you get your own place OFF of campus, then bring it up to use and enjoy.

Or like others have said as well, if you really want a car, buy a beater that can get bashed and abused for a couple years. Parking on any campus sucks ballz though.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:42 AM
Gville37

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SwissCheeseHead
Parking on any campus sucks ballz though.
plus one for this
Old 05-04-2012, 09:54 AM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Being a Dad to a couple of girls that went through college I say please listen to your parents. Even though you may not see it and think they are unreasonable they really do know what they are talking about.

Quick Reply: Off to college. Keep the G...or no?