Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Off to college. Keep the G...or no?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 05:40 PM
DashKid
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Luck to you OP. Make sure you study hard and dont slack off.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:05 PM
fluxemag

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I moved up to Flagstaff to go to Northern Arizona U from Phoenix after I dropped out of high school. I wanted my Integra with me Freshman year, but my parents got me a 1987 Subaru DL station wagon (3 speed auto!). I was dating a smokeshow and was so embarrassed by my car (in retrospect having a car bought for me and school payed for I should have been worshiping my parents). Sophomore year I got to bring my Integra up with me to school, it didn't really take a beating like I would have expected with the snow and parking at school, but I lived off campus and had a garage. Long story short the beater car Freshman year didn't make a big difference because that way other people could drive me around...win win!
Old 05-04-2012, 08:07 PM
Philip8969

I took a car to college freshman year. Bit of a mistake. I didn't really need it and it wound up getting hit in a parking lot along with a bunch of door dings. If you do take a car buy a beater to take up there, not the G.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:29 PM
Himalaya
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ask them if they have a big parking lot. I go to Rutgers New Brunswick in New Jersey and there is one huge parking lot which mostly nicer cars park at in the back. I dont mind a little walking to keep my car safe where no one will touch it or go near it
Old 05-06-2012, 08:52 AM
chairman25

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tazicon
Being a Dad to a couple of girls that went through college I say please listen to your parents. Even though you may not see it and think they are unreasonable they really do know what they are talking about.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Leave the car home tell your parents to drive it weekly for about 30 minutes (that will allow all of the fluids to warm up and allow the tires not to develop flat spots). I have a friend whose son came back from Afganastan and bought a used Vette, when his son went back they agreed dad could drive the car, he only drove it on weekends, but had a grin from ear to ear when he did.

You are going for a new chapter in your life, you will want to meet all kinds of new people. Most of them will be walking around campus and to sports events, etc. Leave the car home where it is safe and enjoy college. Not to mention that parking at any college campus is expensive and only for clunkers.

Good luck in school.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:27 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Not to mention, a nice car around university students will attract a lot of haters and vandalism
Old 05-07-2012, 12:55 AM
GotAir523

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
took my impala with me to college freshman year....3 weeks after classes started the girls downstairs from us got drunk and decided to steal everyones license plates off their cars. everyone woke up not being able to use our cars (we lived on campus so it wasn't a total catastrophy, but only reason i noticed the plates were gone was because i went to my car to grab something and when i unlocked it, the alarm sounded an extra beep saying the alarm had been set off). we caught wind of what happened and told the police we knew who had our plates, police went in and searched their rooms, found weed and arrested them. i woke up the next working with my car having been keyed the entire driver's side, from front headlight to rear taillight, cost me 600 bucks to repaint the entire drivers side of the car.....
Old 05-08-2012, 02:02 PM
reVx

In my own experience, I took my car to school about 6 hours away from home my freshmen year. It will do nothing except A. make you spend more money. B. make stupid decisions. C. Keep you away from the awesome campus life. Don't be like me and go speeding down a small back road, hit a bump and dump the oil pan and blow the engine. Nuff' said LOL. P.S. It was a 97 Ford Probe, it was meant to die in such a humiliating way.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:35 PM
ayarj12
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow...so many horror stories! Forget it, it's definitely not worth it. Thanks for all your input. Yay for bus system lol