Sponsored By:

Opinions.. the G37S or IPL?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 05:18 PM
tjkane4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Opinions.. the G37S or IPL?

Hey guys,

I'm new to this site so I don't know how many posts I will get. Recently I have come into some good luck with money and a couple of investments I made with a trust back when I turned 16 have recently payed off. I bought a 2005 G35 couple as my first car, but I am hitting around the 136,000 mile mark (originally bought the car with around 53,000 in early 2009) and I firmly believe it is one of the best leisure/everyday/usable/exciting cars to come out of a car company.
I think I have come to the point where I am ready to upgrade thanks to recent good fortunes. I have already come to the conclusion that I look to purchase no other car next but the G coupe. Although I looked upon used BMW M3 (reliability ratings turned me away), Hyundai Genesis 3.8 (I just cant get over the fact that its a Hyundai), only test drove because I knew I couldnt afford it the new MB C coupe, and used Audi S5. I have to admit the Audi was probably the best competitor for the Infiniti.The only problem is, I do not know which one I want...... the only thing I know for certain is that I want the 6MT. If I go for the G37 S, I will probably buy used, just because I hate dealing with car dealers and the endless amount of time you spend picking options (you should have seen how long it took my dad and I when purchasing my twin sister's BMW 135i M Coupe; and I firmly hate the car because it will not go around a corner for ****).
I have heard some used G37's going for as low as $23-26k in awesome condition, fair mileage, and great package combos. I have test driven the G37 S, and absolutely love it. However, I'm extremely fortunate to possibly afford the new G Coupe IPL. The problem is though, that the dealers near me, and down here at my college don't stock the IPL in their inventory that would be available for a test drive, or the one they do have has already been pre-ordered and is being ready to be picked-up.
Can anyone tell me if the IPL is really all that different from the G coupe other than the wheels, and extra 20 horsepower? Also can anyone tell me if there are any minor problems I should look for within the G37 that tend to be common or overlooked. I have heard about clutches going pretty early, but then again its an extremely fun car to drive fast and push the limits of so I would understand.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:27 PM
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
IPL has the extra horsepower, the better sounding exhaust (not really a selling point if you plan to upgrade anyway), red interior, different wheels, and a different body kit, not positive but the suspension may be slightly different.

This post might help you:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/motorsp...ipl-1-4-a.html

My opinion, pick up a used g37s, keep investing the difference (obviously making good choices), and pick up the next gen coupe when it comes out in 2014.

Also I don't know how you can say a 135i M coupe won't corner well...
Old 04-17-2012, 05:35 PM
tjkane4

I do love the red interior that is definitely a plus!!

Haha honestly, it probably does corner well I just have a bad history with that car as I heard my sister talk about that car every waking moment for months until she finally found the one that had everything she wanted (not to offend anyone but women and cars, lol). Plus, whenever something goes wrong with that car (usually it's my sister's doing and not the manufacturer's) I have to go to the nearest dealer for her because she cant tell when a dealer is ripping her off. The reason I say it doesnt go around corners that well additionally is because there is one very very tight turn on a very wide road near my house that is great for drifiting, and about everytime I have taken the 1M for a serious go around it the tail gives out without me really wanting it to, but then again that might just be me not doing it right or being used to the car haha

But thanks man ill take the advice (sorry about lingering on about a beamer on a g37 website)
Old 04-17-2012, 05:37 PM
xxg00w0
Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by BLamb
IPL has the extra horsepower, the better sounding exhaust (not really a selling point if you plan to upgrade anyway), red interior, different wheels, and a different body kit, not positive but the suspension may be slightly different.

This post might help you:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/motorsp...ipl-1-4-a.html

My opinion, pick up a used g37s, keep investing the difference (obviously making good choices), and pick up the next gen coupe when it comes out in 2014.

Also I don't know how you can say a 135i M coupe won't corner well...
+1
Old 04-17-2012, 05:43 PM
tjkane4

Also guys..
I know as stupid as this sounds... Is there anyway to special order the exhaust from the IPL so that I can have it fitted if I were to choose to buy the G37 S? I bet its a rhetorical question, but it doesn't hurt to ask
Old 04-17-2012, 06:08 PM
Bad G IPL

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tjkane4
Also guys..
I know as stupid as this sounds... Is there anyway to special order the exhaust from the IPL so that I can have it fitted if I were to choose to buy the G37 S? I bet its a rhetorical question, but it doesn't hurt to ask

Money can get you anything, but I havent look to see exactly how much the IPL exhaust is but I'm sure if will be a good $1200-$1600 again I'm taking a guess. So you would be wasting your money on something that doesn't make huge difference in sound or performance. I would rather spend that money on an ArK grip catback exhaust since they go for that price. That's just my opinion, and if you really want it i can sell you my IPL exhaust picked up my 2012 IPL 2 weeks ago and only have 800miles on it Cause i want to get the ARK grip catback exhaust
Old 04-17-2012, 06:10 PM
used2xb
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have an IPL, and I like it. If you're going to go all mod happy, a G37S is probably a better way to go since you'd be probably replacing a number of things that make the IPL an IPL - wheels, tune, exhaust, suspension, bodykit. It's basically a pre-modded G. The mods are relatively conservative since they still have to appeal to enough people to get them sold, so if it's not extreme enough then get an S and mod away!

There was a thread (pretty old now) where a guy was selling an IPL exhaust. And it seems like there are a number of people buying IPL body kits and putting them on their Gs, so I'm sure there's a dealer out there willing to sell IPL exhausts.

One thing about the Red interior is it's only available with the malbec black AT G.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:21 PM
tjkane4

im not really into the whole body kit stuff i like to keep the car normal, and by what im reading here and other sites i think you're right and the catback exhaust would probably be the better idea. I really only look to modify the sound when I buy a car I tend to get lost in all the major physical changes some people make to their cars
Old 04-17-2012, 06:22 PM
Bad G IPL

Originally Posted by used2xb
I have an IPL, and I like it. If you're going to go all mod happy, a G37S is probably a better way to go since you'd be probably replacing a number of things that make the IPL an IPL - wheels, tune, exhaust, suspension, bodykit. It's basically a pre-modded G. The mods are relatively conservative since they still have to appeal to enough people to get them sold, so if it's not extreme enough then get an S and mod away!

There was a thread (pretty old now) where a guy was selling an IPL exhaust. And it seems like there are a number of people buying IPL body kits and putting them on their Gs, so I'm sure there's a dealer out there willing to sell IPL exhausts.

One thing about the Red interior is it's only available with the malbec black AT G.

^^^^What he said!! I also have a IPL and I'm totally loving it! Sure i paid a bit more but I bought it for what it is. Limited, Unique and has the better upgrdes here and there that appealed to me. Don't get me wrong the G37S is an amazing car but I wanted that little extra and did'nt want to be "another G on the street" I got the limited edition and I get looks everywhere I go and it's stock! definately a better choice in my opinionDOMODOMO
Old 04-17-2012, 06:51 PM
GTLAW
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
The IPL exhaust is about $2700 at dealer price.

The IPL Muffler by it self is $1800
Old 04-17-2012, 07:00 PM
Bad G IPL

Originally Posted by GTLAW
The IPL exhaust is about $2700 at dealer price.

The IPL Muffler by it self is $1800

^^^^^^^^^^there you go , like i said I was just guessing lol
Old 04-17-2012, 07:23 PM
mindawg

I'm not sure why would anyone buy IPL. They really jacked up the price. G37S and just add supercharger for the money you just saved. done
Old 04-17-2012, 09:58 PM
Fresh Mobile

G37s FTW!!!! IPL doesn't give you your bang for your buck!
Old 04-17-2012, 11:11 PM
SaMaster14

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The BMW 135i should outhandle the G... I had a G37S sedan and was blown away by one (and it was stock). Not going to lie, the one series is amazing handling/performance wise. But, it's a Mini Cooper interior, and I personally don't like the exterior looks.

How are you cross comparing the BMW M3 and Audi S5 with the G37 though? They are both at least going to run you $15-$25k more (unless you are buying older models).

Have you thought of a 335i/335is?

BUT, if you are looking at an M3 and S5, those cars are just, factually, better performing cars. And the S5 is also extremely luxurious.

C coupe probably won't perform as well, unless you get the C63 AMG, but it will beat the G in luxury and smoothness/comfort.

I wouldn't get the Hyundai personally, especially if you are looking for material quality and luxury.

For the G... I would get the IPL for the red seats, and that EXHAUST! haha BUT, if you are going to go aftermarket, just get a G37S. Looks basically the same (and you can even add IPL options onto the G37), and the S performs pretty much equally as well.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:46 PM
AnJing408

Originally Posted by Bad G IPL
^^^^^^^^^^there you go , like i said I was just guessing lol
i don't know where u guys are getting $1800 from. At my local dealership they are only $719. I'm pretty sure the sport muffler is what comes on the IPL.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-INFINITI...item27b2da4950

Quick Reply: Opinions.. the G37S or IPL?