Sponsored By:

Opinions.. the G37S or IPL?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 09:40 AM
DashKid
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
The S for 40k will not be equally equipped as an IPL. That's the point. And there is more to an IPL body kit than just a bumper...

Well yeah. I know that a good friend of mine here dyno'd a IPL at his shop and he told me it basically looks like it has a ecu tune, exhausts, body kit and mind the fact that our IPL was like a dollar bill to him because he works on bentlys astons, lambos, ferries, all those super cars. He asked how much the guy paid for his G and he said about 45k. So that is about 5-7k more on what it is worth then the S.

Then my friend told me you can make equal to or faster then IPL probably for less then 7K. Also, he told me the numbers for that IPL were 286. 3 HP and 242.8 Tq. I will see if he he can secretly give me a copy of that person's stock IPL dyno.

Also, I'm not bashing on the IPL on anyway shape or forum. What I'm trying to say is the price would have to be right for me to buy the IPL like I said if I can get a IPL new for 40k (which what I paid for my S back in 08 when it first back out) I would jump on it but every time I go to the dealer they are willing to do down to 44-45.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:33 PM
Dr.Pat

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
If you can afford an IPL why are you looking at buying a used G37S?

IMHO the current IPL just isn't worth the extra money. My reasoning is that I don't like the IPL front bumper, rear bumper, and rims. The suspension is better than the stock G37 suspension, but I prefer the G37 with the Eibach lowering springs and performance shocks. So if it were me, I'd be paying $10,000 for basically an extra 20hp.

If you are absolutely in love with the IPL and have no intention to mod anything on the car then go with the IPL. If not, go with the G37S.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:19 PM
used2xb
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I just got my 2011 IPL MT dyno'd stock and then with an intake and then with the intake and tune at Z car Garage. Here's the chart I posted in the Dyno section of the forum:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/attachm...ets-intake.jpg

Comparing between dyno's is pretty difficult for a number of factors, but d_cruz just posted some dynos of his 08 G37s AT also done at Z Car Garage. I'm not sure if the before curves are before the install of his intakes and exhaust or he had already installed them and took his G to the ZCG just for the tune. So that MAY help illustrate the difference between IPL and S...

That said, I don't think anybody's said anything totally unreasonable in this thread. It pretty much comes down to personal preference.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:52 PM
SaMaster14

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1NEETO
Wait did this guy just said that the 1M can't handle a corner worth a crap? What?
I think he meant the 135i Msport. Not sure though. But either way, that thing handles like a beast... probably even outhandles my 335is.... definitely outhandled my old G (but that was a sedan, I'm sure the G37S/IPL coupe handles just as well as my new car)
Old 04-20-2012, 02:59 PM
tjkane4

hey guys
had a change of heart last minute, bought the IPL i was able to test drive right off the lot. love it although i wish i could have my 6MT and a red interior
Old 04-20-2012, 03:21 PM
ericmadGRR

Originally Posted by tjkane4
Hey guys,

I'm new to this site so I don't know how many posts I will get. Recently I have come into some good luck with money and a couple of investments I made with a trust back when I turned 16 have recently payed off. I bought a 2005 G35 couple as my first car, but I am hitting around the 136,000 mile mark (originally bought the car with around 53,000 in early 2009) and I firmly believe it is one of the best leisure/everyday/usable/exciting cars to come out of a car company.
I think I have come to the point where I am ready to upgrade thanks to recent good fortunes. I have already come to the conclusion that I look to purchase no other car next but the G coupe. Although I looked upon used BMW M3 (reliability ratings turned me away), Hyundai Genesis 3.8 (I just cant get over the fact that its a Hyundai), only test drove because I knew I couldnt afford it the new MB C coupe, and used Audi S5. I have to admit the Audi was probably the best competitor for the Infiniti.The only problem is, I do not know which one I want...... the only thing I know for certain is that I want the 6MT. If I go for the G37 S, I will probably buy used, just because I hate dealing with car dealers and the endless amount of time you spend picking options (you should have seen how long it took my dad and I when purchasing my twin sister's BMW 135i M Coupe; and I firmly hate the car because it will not go around a corner for ****).
I have heard some used G37's going for as low as $23-26k in awesome condition, fair mileage, and great package combos. I have test driven the G37 S, and absolutely love it. However, I'm extremely fortunate to possibly afford the new G Coupe IPL. The problem is though, that the dealers near me, and down here at my college don't stock the IPL in their inventory that would be available for a test drive, or the one they do have has already been pre-ordered and is being ready to be picked-up.
Can anyone tell me if the IPL is really all that different from the G coupe other than the wheels, and extra 20 horsepower? Also can anyone tell me if there are any minor problems I should look for within the G37 that tend to be common or overlooked. I have heard about clutches going pretty early, but then again its an extremely fun car to drive fast and push the limits of so I would understand.

My co worker was in the same boat as you. He had a 350z while we were in the army, and since we got out we both started contracting over in Afghanistan and made a hell of a lot of money. He debated between the G37S coupe 6MT and IPL 6MT for months - researched on cars.com / auto trader, ect. He knew he wanted Graphite Shadow and he loved the Monaco
Red Leather seats but it wasn't a requirement. After searching for months he came to the conclution that a used G37S coupe with all the requirements he has (Graphite Shadow, Graphite Interior, 6MT, Aero Kit, Spoiler) was too much to ask for.. He could NOT find it. So he looked into the IPL more and more and decided he was going to go the IPL route because a. the colors are limited to 2, GS and Malbec Black (he want's GS) b. aero kit installed c. the wheels and exhaust d. the little extra hp. It was easier for him to find exactly what he wanted and get a little more just by paying a little more, the hastle and headache is gone. So my question to you is what is your Exterior requirement, that should be prime, if its GS or Black I think IPL would be less of a headache for you. Pay a little bit more for alot more.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:22 PM
DashKid
Banned

Congrats on the sale.

@Dr. Pat.
I'm with you on that. I ended up getting coil overs a while back for my car which were almost $1300 and I am glad I didn't upgrade to the IPL after seeing the dyno and numbers.

Now 400-425 hp. I would of been sold on that for 50k
Old 05-01-2012, 02:30 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by tjkane4
hey guys
had a change of heart last minute, bought the IPL i was able to test drive right off the lot. love it although i wish i could have my 6MT and a red interior

Glad to see you came over to the dark side. Trust me you won't regret it. I know I haven't in the slightest.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:40 PM
Wyldfyer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The only thing about buying a new G (regardless of trim) is that within 2 years, you are going to have the OLD body style AND your value is going to plummet. I would have gone with a used G for a good price, had fun for 2 years, and then traded it in. Or even leased.

It's all good until they change the body style on you LOL.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:36 PM
visualguy

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes - the new G sedan is supposed to be out next summer, and the new coupe the following year.