Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Rear Ended....ugh

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 11:10 AM
jmaudio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Ended....ugh

So Saturday night I got rear ended while sitting at a red light. The woman who hit me says she slid in the rain....who knows but the damage isn't terrible. I have about a 2ft dent in my rear bumper and a slight crack. My license plate took the majority of the damage lol. Still i was pissed and still am pissed.

I'm going to get an estimate today to get the bumper replaced. Can anyone give me an idea of what it might cost? I have a 2008 G37S in red. Unfortunately this is the second time i've been rear ended so they may have trouble paint matching and blending into the quarter panels since it has already been done once before.

The lady wants to pay me out of pocket. I figure I'll give her til Friday to get me the money, other wise I'll report it to the insurance company and get them to take care of it. This is such a hassle. WHY CAN'T PEOPLE DRIVE!?!?!?! ugh.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:57 AM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Don't do out of pocket! You should ALWAYS get their insurance info and go through the person's at fault insurance company. To bad that she doesn't want to file a claim. You really don't want to involve your insurance company, everything should be handled by the "at fault" insurance company.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:27 PM
DashKid
Banned

like 10 g-man said you need to call their insurance company and claim it. Doesn't matter if she wants to pay out of pocket or not. Always call the other person's insurance company.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:38 PM
jmaudio

Well yes I already reported it to her insurance company. All that is taken care of...she said she wants to pay out of pocket. I need to call her shortly to discuss.

I just got an estimate. It turns out the mufflers are bent and contorted and need to be replaced. If the center exhaust muffler and rear exhaust muffler need to be replaced I was quoted ~$1800...if it's only the rear exhaust ~$1200. (this is in addition to fixing the bumper which doesn't have too much damage).

So here is another question...for ~that kind of money is there an affordable aftermarket exhaust kit that sounds close to stock but a little more meaty? Sorry if that's a question that has been answered 100's of times before but I haven't paid much attention to exhaust threads on here as my car is stock (tints only).
Old 04-16-2012, 12:39 PM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I hope you got her info and a police report.

Otherwise, it's best to go to a VERY GOOD local shop and have the work done there.

Asking for repair quotes here is useless IMO.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:55 PM
ayarj12
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The bumper itself will cost $300-$400 (depending on how well you know the mechanics at the body shoo), ans paint will cost around the same, $300-$400. I had my back bumper cover replaced and it cost me $600. My uncle is a mechanic so he ordered the cover for me for me with a mechanics discount and charged me to cover the bumper, so he didn't make a profit out of it. If you don't know any mechanics, choose a really good quality bod shop and become reallyyy good friends with the main head honchos there. As for the exhaust, you can go aftermarker and get a whole exhaust system. Also, I know Fast Intentions sells certain pipes, not sure of they sell mufflers though. Anyways, good luck! Accidents always suck.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:56 PM
jmaudio

Yeah I don't need cost estimates really. I have a good body shop and trust the guys working there. The woman has been very courteous and this will be resolved shortly. Now i just need to decide if I will replace the stock exhaust with an aftermarket.

Can somebody break down a few after market exhaust kits for me as far as sound/price/performance goes or is that asking too much? If so I apologize...I don't frequent these forums as much as I probably should. I am not really concerned with performance gains as I know I won't get much from a catback kit or muffler system (whichever)...but if I can get a little of a throatier or deeper growl while still sounding classy I am interested.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:26 PM
Wyldfyer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jmaudio
So Saturday night I got rear ended while sitting at a red light. The woman who hit me says she slid in the rain....who knows but the damage isn't terrible. I have about a 2ft dent in my rear bumper and a slight crack. My license plate took the majority of the damage lol. Still i was pissed and still am pissed.

I'm going to get an estimate today to get the bumper replaced. Can anyone give me an idea of what it might cost? I have a 2008 G37S in red. Unfortunately this is the second time i've been rear ended so they may have trouble paint matching and blending into the quarter panels since it has already been done once before.

The lady wants to pay me out of pocket. I figure I'll give her til Friday to get me the money, other wise I'll report it to the insurance company and get them to take care of it. This is such a hassle. WHY CAN'T PEOPLE DRIVE!?!?!?! ugh.
Sorry to read this, bro! I hope it works out.

I would definitely contact your insurance, even if you allow them to pay you out of pocket.

I can't assume that all Insurance Companies will say the same thing but my insurance company was cool about it. I called them asap as an FYI but let them know that the person was willing to pay out of pocket. They said that was fine and to let them know if that doesn't happen. They would then handle it. I did, however, have a police report so that may serve as proof. The downside to that: The accident showed up on my carfax, even though it was only 2 large scratches.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:33 PM
jmaudio

we are now past the insurance stage. both insurance companies have been notified but due to it not being a severe accident the woman will be paying out of pocket.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:45 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Save your self a ton of grief and let the inssurance companies handle this. When someone says they will pay for it rarely does it end well. They always seem so nice in the beginning.

Signed,
Learned the Hard Way

I really, REALLY hope I am not telling you "told you so" in a couple of months.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:11 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
I really hope you got here info, I was just hit by someone who had no Dl and was not even supposed to be here, IN the US!!! Cost 2k at least I was quated $1100 for a soft ball size dent in my RT front fender.. An NO ONE ONE CAN DRIVE, Just us one here
Old 04-16-2012, 04:57 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
I needed a new rear bumper a few years ago for my ’08 G37 coupe after a nice old lady backed into me in a parking lot. Her insurance company paid the total $730 cost.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:52 AM
ayarj12
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your options are either Ark Exhaust, Fast Intentions, Invidia, that's all I can remember right now. Go to their websites and search around the forums to see what people say about them.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:12 AM
jmaudio

Originally Posted by ayarj12
Your options are either Ark Exhaust, Fast Intentions, Invidia, that's all I can remember right now. Go to their websites and search around the forums to see what people say about them.
that's what i'm looking for now. thank you. it seems a lot of people don't read follow up posts lol.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:36 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Don't forget ExoticSpeed.