Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

M2 vs Top Speed Pro axelback Exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 09:35 PM
LftSdDrv

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cruzmisl
Well my dad has the tanabe axle back knockoffs with the beveled tips. There are 2 versions from Top Speed, one with the silencer and straight tips, and a non-resonated version with beveled tips.

The one with the beveled tips sounds great at WOT but it DRONES when driving around. It's not the worst drone in the world, but it's obvious enough to wear on me.
Hey cruzmisl thanks for the info. Is PDX like Portland do you peeps get snow there just wondering how your dads exhaust is handling erosion.... and dude is the air freshner still your only mod!
Old 04-11-2012, 06:50 AM
demolay5550

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i thought this forum was against knock off's, cutting corners and replicas
Old 04-11-2012, 06:52 AM
jmueller

Originally Posted by demolay5550
i thought this forum was against knock off's, cutting corners and replicas
Everyone likes saving money when possible. When it is a bad product though, that is a different story.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:20 PM
Sython

I saw in the Intake / Exhaust section there is a thread talking about Top Speed's axleback and the tips sit uneven, which could lead to a burned bumper!!!

Just like you guys, I'm also interested in something like this if the product is of decent quality. $800 for an axleback is just insane IMO.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:36 PM
BluestickG

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Sython
I saw in the Intake / Exhaust section there is a thread talking about Top Speed's axleback and the tips sit uneven, which could lead to a burned bumper!!!

Just like you guys, I'm also interested in something like this if the product is of decent quality. $800 for an axleback is just insane IMO.
I think those are when they first came out. check out the video on page 1. Tips sit nicer then most systems 3x the cost
Old 04-11-2012, 03:34 PM
jmueller

Originally Posted by BluestickG
I think those are when they first came out. check out the video on page 1. Tips sit nicer then most systems 3x the cost
Do you have the beveled edge version or the straight tip version?
Old 04-11-2012, 03:48 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
My dad has the beveled edge version. They don't sit too bad but the drivers side is a bit close to the top cutout of the bumper. I think it still needs a bit of adjusting but it's not nearly as bad as I've seen in the past.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:41 PM
LegitMW

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
My dad has the beveled edge version. They don't sit too bad but the drivers side is a bit close to the top cutout of the bumper. I think it still needs a bit of adjusting but it's not nearly as bad as I've seen in the past.
Do you know if it has any annoying drone? Or is it so slight it doesn't really bother the average person on a long cruise? Any sound change over time ?
Old 04-11-2012, 05:09 PM
cruzmisl

Well, people here kept saying these exhausts (tanabe & topspeed) were on the quieter side. I'm curious what a "loud" exhaust on the G sounds like in person because this topspeed was a bit too loud for me.

There is some drone. It's loud enough that you have to turn the radio up to get past it. Whether that is acceptable for most people is difficult to gauge, but after deeper searching I've found people that actually say the tanabes were still a bit too loud, which is what I experienced with the topspeed knockoffs.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:36 PM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
No not at all! I have top speed with the axle back, y pipe and berk test pipes. Sounds Sick

ModBargains.com - Berk Test Pipes Infiniti G37 - YouTube
That sounds pretty fecken nice for being so inexpensive. How's the finish on it?? Does it look cheap?
Old 04-11-2012, 05:53 PM
P Casey
Premier Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
It's a cheaply made exhaust that is a knockoff. It's a major downgrade from oem exhaust.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:59 PM
cruzmisl

Welds actually looked nice and solid. I hear the surface rusts easier but haven't seen an issue with that yet.

I'm not advocating buying knockoffs but real tanabes are comically priced for an axleback.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:55 PM
demolay5550

Originally Posted by Sython

the M2 is also available in amazon, they posted specific instructions so that it would come out nice and even

If i was made of money i would have bought a different car altogether, had my G since they changed it in 08, i waited to pay it off then i started modding it, i came from a lexus (leased), as far as modding it i would like to stay as practical as i could, again only if i was made of money, i hope the big ballers and seasoned veterans dont flame me for being honest, i joined this forum to get ideas and inspiration, but hey, its all stick and stones, so go ahead and cast the first stone
Old 04-12-2012, 09:16 AM
Sython

Ah okay. I am at work and they get upset when we stream media =/

Welds actually looked nice and solid. I hear the surface rusts easier but haven't seen an issue with that yet.

I'm not advocating buying knockoffs but real tanabes are comically priced for an axleback.
That is what I have read a lot too. The surface is just lower quality and will rust quickly. I just got the car so I can't comment on the validity of those statements.

I agree on the Tanabe pricing as well.

Originally Posted by demolay5550
the M2 is also available in amazon, they posted specific instructions so that it would come out nice and even

If i was made of money i would have bought a different car altogether, had my G since they changed it in 08, i waited to pay it off then i started modding it, i came from a lexus (leased), as far as modding it i would like to stay as practical as i could, again only if i was made of money, i hope the big ballers and seasoned veterans dont flame me for being honest, i joined this forum to get ideas and inspiration, but hey, its all stick and stones, so go ahead and cast the first stone
Nice. I'll have to check that out. I was considering Megan's axleback as it costs a little more, but looks like fitment is perfect.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:19 AM
BluestickG

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by jmueller
Do you have the beveled edge version or the straight tip version?
I have the straight tip version, so it has silencers. Sounds Identical to the tanabe system, well before i installed the test pipes haha

Originally Posted by SwissCheeseHead
That sounds pretty fecken nice for being so inexpensive. How's the finish on it?? Does it look cheap?
Finish is nice! Had it on the car for about 5 months and no issues so far. Fitment was spot on. Didnt even need to adjust anything. And for 260 bucks and on a college budget you cant beat it

Quick Reply: M2 vs Top Speed Pro axelback Exhausts