Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Got rid of the 08 G37 Coupe......and heres my story

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 02:20 AM
desertmike680

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Got rid of the 08 G37 Coupe......and heres my story

So after only having my 08 G37 Coupe Sport for 11 months, I had to call it quits and trade it in. Reason being: I was sold a lemon. Considering that the car was a Certified Pre owned directly from Infiniti and scored an 86 on the Auto Check report, it was literally the biggest piece of crap I have ever owned, and its a damn shame too. For starters, the infiniti dealership failed to tell me (which doesnt surprise me at all) that the car was in a serious accident in 2009, which suffered severe frame damage to the drivers side. With that, they were able to repair it to manufactures spec, up the asking price to 32k with 36,000 miles on it at the time, and certify pre own the vehicle. The vehicle was on the border line of being a salvage title, but just barely passed and was able to be sold.

At the time of purchase, I was shown the first page of the carfax, which did post a score of 86, and of course convinced me that the car was in good shape. Hence I did not ask to see the rest of the report (stupid I know), but considering that it was a cert pre owned and I was buying it directly from Infiniti, I thought; thats good enough. But this is just the begining...

After taking ownership, I started to notice a lot of problems with the car...immediately. For starters, all four rotors were shot to hell. That was replaced. After that, the battery failed. Car wouldnt start, got it towed to the dealership. Replaced battery, tests fine. Drove it another few weeks and discovered the throttle lag issue (which made me want to pull my freakin hair out and drink until vodka came out of my eye *****). Took it in...unable to duplicate issue. Are you kidding me? Its so freakin obvious!! Then I took the car to Carmax to get their opinion, who ran the carfax and informed me that it was the worst history report that the mechanic has ever seen.

So granted I was pissed beyond belief. I went back to Infiniti and raised hell with them. The Repair manager pulled up the history and confirmed that the car was in a serious accident but noted that they were able to repair the frame and cert pre own it. I talked to the Salesmen who sold me the vehicle and he denied everything. Go freakin figure. I left and decided to go to The Strip and drink my face off.

With that, more problems arose. The car failed to start (hitting the start button would only turn on ACC. Car would start once out of every 10 attempts) on a consistent basis and it pre detonated (knocking and pinging) all the god damn time from day one, which is of course really bad for any engine. Took it in...mind you I was already pissed about the frame damage, and of course....no trouble found. Stormed out of there and took it back to Carmax to see how much the car is worth........$19,500 with 42k on it and I owed $32,200....horses ****ing ***! I was so ****ing pissed that I got on the phone with Lemon law lawyers (and my bank who I had the loan through with) and they basically stated that I didnt have a case. The damage was repaired enough to where it was legal to sell it as it is within a reasonable price. Hence $34,000 is not reasonable. Again, the lawyers and the state of Nevada didnt think it was a plausable enough case.

After all that ****.....I gave up. I couldnt see myself paying anymore money on a car, that I was upside down almost $12,000 with. So I was prepared to take a hit....and a hit I took. So after doing some talking with financial advisors, co workers, family members and whatnot, I decided to take out a low apr usecured loan, put $5,000 down on a 2012 Mazdaspeed 3, and obviously traded in the problem child to Mazda.

Am I happy about the decision I made? Its bittersweet. Regarding purchasing another vehicle so soon ****ed me financially, but what can you do. Hence it obviously happens to so many people on a regular basis, but I just got completely screwed and made what seemed to be, an efficient decision. Its really a shame too. I had high hopes for my G37, was really excited to own one and wanted to keep it for a really long time. It was a beautiful car that got a lots of attention.....but it ran like complete ***.

So thats my experience with my first Infiniti. Again, its a crying shame it had to turn out this way. But **** happens. Make the best of it and bite the bullet.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:50 AM
AnJing408

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i give you props for not doing anything stupid. I would of been **** as f**k if that happened to me. I bought my 08 coupe about 6 months ago used with 65k miles and now it has 97k miles on it. I put 32k miles in just 6 months, have not had a single problem with it. Just did oil changes and that was it.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:41 AM
jesse550

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Sorry to hear that
My friend has a mazdaspeed 3 and it's a cool car but the circumstances leading you to get it definitely do suck, I feel your pain.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:47 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your experience
Old 04-02-2012, 08:06 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Wow is all I can say about this situation. This just proves that it doesn't matter where you purchase your car from or what kind of car it is, the stealership is ALWAYS out for themselves.

Sorry about your problems. And I would imagine lesson learned about the carfax. Good luck in your endeavors.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:46 AM
gimmeshelter67
Registered Member

I know you've already traded the car in, but did anyone mention this?

Infiniti Certified Pre-Owned Vehicles | Titleguard Plus | Infiniti USA

D
Old 04-02-2012, 09:26 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Sorry about your enormous trouble.

The moral of the story? Check, double check, and recheck thoroughly before signing on the dotted like when buying any used car. CPO means nothing. Pay a trustworthy independent mechanic a few hundred bucks to find out things that you wouldn't easily discover yourself before you buy a used car.

Better luck with your Mazda.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:28 AM
DashKid
Banned

Sorry about your experience but here a word of the wise. Just because it is from the dealership does not mean it is a legit car. There has been a lot of cases where they took lemon's and sold them out to people.

Just make sure you do a full carfax report but then again you can't totally rely on carfax's either.

Also, congrats on your speed 3. Those are some quick @ss cars.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:44 AM
DeamonG37s

Sorry for the bad experiance.
But few tips for future never buy a car that's been in a accident, bring your car buff friends with u to look at having 2-3 guys looking at ur vehicle at once they will notice every scratch and imperfection. Your friends make it into a game of finding **** lol. Also I'm surprised u couldn't tell from the paint, usually theirs over spray or the paint doesn't match. And do more research next time. In canada u have to sign saying u are aware that the car has been in a accident. Does this apply to the states?
Old 04-02-2012, 12:14 PM
VTCMart

Post the name of the specific dealership and salesperson on here. If they are going to run their business like that, you have the right to let everyone know to avoid them.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:15 PM
desertmike680

Thanks guys. I appreciate your positive feed back. Its just been a nightmare honestly. The Speed 3 is a pretty sweet car, and considering its a "sleeper hatch", a lot of people underestimate the cars power.

I do miss the G37 to a point you know? I was expecting to have the classy sporty coupe for a while...until the **** hit the fan soon after! Just a shame it had to turn out this way. Your right, you live you learn. Check, double check and protect yourself.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:18 PM
desertmike680

The dealership is: Tobin Infiniti on West Sahara in Las Vegas, right off the Strip. Tobin owns a lot of dealerships in Las Vegas and when I started doing research, I found that they have had cases of being shady little bastards. The car salesmens name, I would rather not disclose. Its more of a corporate/company wide issue, not so much the sales men. But thats the way I look at it.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:21 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by DeamonG37s
SIn canada u have to sign saying u are aware that the car has been in a accident. Does this apply to the states?
Nope. You're responsible for finding out that information for yourself unless it has a salvage title which must be disclosed. In this case the OP said it was on the Carfax report but he just didn't read it all and took a salesman's word at face value. To be fair, it is possible the salesman didn't know either. In come cases damage may not appear on Carfax. That's what brining your own mechanic is for. Due diligence is co much more important when buying used than new, no matter who certified it and what dealership it's purchased from.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:48 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Good luck. It's too bad this stuff has to happen, ruining the name of a good car manufacturer.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:57 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by desertmike680
The dealership is: Tobin Infiniti on West Sahara in Las Vegas, right off the Strip. Tobin owns a lot of dealerships in Las Vegas and when I started doing research, I found that they have had cases of being shady little bastards. The car salesmens name, I would rather not disclose. Its more of a corporate/company wide issue, not so much the sales men. But thats the way I look at it.

Hummmmmmm that really sucks! I would like to know the salesmens name so I don't have any dealings with him in the future. would you mind PMing it to me?

That happens to be where I bought my car...............

Quick Reply: Got rid of the 08 G37 Coupe......and heres my story