Sponsored By:

Noise at 80mph when accelerating.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 08:37 PM
gimmeshelter67
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noise at 80mph when accelerating.

I just got a 2008 g a few months ago. On a recent trip I noticed noise like ringing or whining when I the accelerator is pressed at speeds 78-83 mph. Quite annoying with the radio low but I'm more worried that something could be wrong.

Anyone have this problem? Any solution?

I found a few posts from black Betty but no solution.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:10 PM
GotAir523

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
i have the same problem, took it to infiniti twice now (brought it in for other work, mentioned it to them both times though) and both times they told me they cant get the car to do it and therefore can't fix it. yet i get in and on the way home on the highway it does it right away. at this point until someone else knows exactly what it is i just play my radio louder and ignore it
Old 03-26-2012, 08:39 AM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
I hear a whining at low speeds and idle, almost like the old days when you needed resister spark plugs so the radio's would not pick up the electrical interference.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:48 AM
gimmeshelter67
Registered Member

I found a lot of posts about the whining at low speeds. There's one thread that may have a solution. Not sure if it was the ECU being changed out or not.

this problem seems less common.

I'm bringing the car in today for oil change, muffler change, steering wheel change so I'll ask them about it. Seems the dealer is up to date on things that were problems, he had no problem changing out the above parts and even ordered the muffler for me. I knew it rattled but after it warmed up it stopped.

D
Old 03-26-2012, 08:50 AM
DaCePtak0n

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Just took a trip from Jersey to Maryland this past weekend and reached speeds of about 80-85 and heard nothing of the sort. Definitely have a dealer look at it and see if you can go on a drive with them. I've done that in the past for other issues and from the time when they drove it to the time I was with them, their ability to recognize and confirm the issue was like night and day lol...
Old 03-28-2012, 03:34 AM
Lije Baley
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
At low RPMs, with a manual transmission, I would suspect the throw-out bearings. High speeds, I am not sure.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:00 AM
ScottMaganay

I hear a whining at low speeds and idle

Old 03-28-2012, 07:53 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
This has nothing to do with low speed noises or noises at idle, completely separate issues.

The noise in question us an extremely high pitched whine that is at very low volume. The pitch is so high that many people, particularly older, will not be able to hear it. It only occurs on throttle just around 80 mph and under no other condition. I was told that I had a slight exhaust leak on my HFC (I did) and that's what was making the noise. Obviously that isn't the issue behind this noise but I let the issue go because their response told me that they were unable to hear it or more likely unwilling to try to locate and fix it. Still no solution. My best guess is something to do with the ECU.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:06 AM
gimmeshelter67
Registered Member

Black Betty, can you tell where the noise is coming from? I hear it coming from the top of the engine compartment. Someone told me that it could be coming from the mufflers, but I don't hear it there.

D
Old 03-29-2012, 09:08 AM
gimmeshelter67
Registered Member

http://tsx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=672286

From Acura Forum.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:43 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Well the way the Acura guys are describing it is exactly what I'm experiencing. I am 100% certain it is not engine, pulley, intake, tire, or wind related. I first noticed it soon after I got the car and it seems to have been pretty consistent, I haven't noticed it get any better or any worse. I believe that it's entirely possible that a lot of our cars make the noise but it goes unnoticed because of loud music, windows down, loud exhausts and intakes, or just that some cant hear the sound because it is very low volume and extremely high pitch in the range of human hearing (many people can't hear sounds that high in pitch, especially as we get older). I notice it less than I did before but if I actually still listen I can hear it. I don't hold out any hope at all for a solution form Infiniti. I requested that a young tech ride with me to listen for it because he would be more likely to hear it than an older person. he heard it. But then they told me it was an exhaust leak when it clearly sounds nothing like an exhaust leak. I did have a leak and got it fixed. Guess what? The sound seems worse now because it was easier to hear.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:12 AM
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Hmm weird, I haven't driven my G 80 mph yet so I can't comment. (I still have less than 1k miles so it's being babied). However my Tundra made a similar sound to what you're describing at random times around 73mph, sounded like a tuning fork, always wondered what it was and assumed it was my Corsa exhaust as it never did it before I put it on.

I think with the exhaust isn't leaking, instead the exhaust is vibrating at a certain frequency in that rpm/load range causing the sound. The vibration might be solely from the exhaust or it could be causing something like the heat shield to vibrate at the right resonance to cause the annoying pitch you're hearing. If you could isolate where the sound was coming from putting some dampening material on it might help. If it's the actual exhaust there may need to be one of those rubber vibration dampeners welded onto the pipe.

Anyway just my theory...
Old 03-29-2012, 10:32 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

I'm pretty sure that it's not exhaust related. Because it stops immediately when the accelerator isn't being applied, even before the car begins to slow. And it doesn't seem to be coming from underneath the passenger cabin to me but it is very difficult to pin down. It seems to almost be coming from the area of the ECU, down low possibly from the passenger side of the car. I can't be sure but I've considered taking off the panels around it to see if the noise is more pronounced. Or possibly building a crude sound dampening "box" of some kind to slip over the ECU to see if that suppresses it. Alas, I've been too lazy.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:44 PM
gimmeshelter67
Registered Member

Black Betty, how many miles are on your car?
Old 03-29-2012, 01:59 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
I recall reading a thread on here about a noise emanating from the ECU. IIRC, it was high pitch in nature. The fix was replacement of the ECU.

Quick Reply: Noise at 80mph when accelerating.