Sponsored By:

Long Distance Trips in G37

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 12:00 PM
BACsader

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long Distance Trips in G37

Hey Everyone,

This summer I am planning on doing a road trip, but I am having trouble deciding which car I should take. My options are my G37 S, my gf's 2006 Honda Civic, or possibly a 2007 Honda Accord sedan (4-cylinder 2.4L model). The trip is going to be around 3,000 miles total, maybe a little more. We live in South Florida and will be going to Asheville NC and then to Allentown PA and back. I would love to take my G, but I am worried there won't be enough space in the car for a trip that long. The only way I could manage it in my car is if I put the back seat down. Has anyone done a trip similar to this?

I absolutely do not want to drive the Civic for 3000 miles. For anyone who has driven one you know this car isn't meant to be driven on a highway. The accord might not be too terrible, but it isn't my G. Also, the seats in these Hondas are extremely uncomfortable. I would appreciate any advice or help anyone has to offer. Thanks!
Old 03-11-2012, 12:04 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by BACsader
Hey Everyone,

This summer I am planning on doing a road trip, but I am having trouble deciding which car I should take. My options are my G37 S, my gf's 2006 Honda Civic, or possibly a 2007 Honda Accord sedan (4-cylinder 2.4L model). The trip is going to be around 3,000 miles total, maybe a little more. We live in South Florida and will be going to Asheville NC and then to Allentown PA and back. I would love to take my G, but I am worried there won't be enough space in the car for a trip that long. The only way I could manage it in my car is if I put the back seat down. Has anyone done a trip similar to this?

I absolutely do not want to drive the Civic for 3000 miles. For anyone who has driven one you know this car isn't meant to be driven on a highway. The accord might not be too terrible, but it isn't my G. Also, the seats in these Hondas are extremely uncomfortable. I would appreciate any advice or help anyone has to offer. Thanks!
I drive to Las Vegas and Phoenix, a few times a year.
6 hour stretches with sport seats are incredible!!

Old 03-11-2012, 12:11 PM
Gville37

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
take the G and do a photo log of your G in all the places you stop...
Old 03-11-2012, 01:36 PM
D_Rek

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree, i had a 09 si before the G and i use to go back and forth from vegas to cali alot and the seats always killed me.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:37 PM
jjasonSU

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Take the accord. Easy choice. Great on gas and roomy
Old 03-11-2012, 01:56 PM
ECain18

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
I used to drive 19 hours straight from hershey pa to siesta key fl and just stop for gas 2 times. My legs and back felt like i hadnt even been in a car it is so comfortable. Id take the g and take pics of your trip. There are some beautful roads in PA that you will enjoy your g so much. Id say go for it you wont regret it. Coming up you could go through shenendoah national park ther is a beautiful drive but people go slow too but worth it if you ask me
Old 03-11-2012, 01:59 PM
Mayu

Depends on the number of passengers and amount of luggage.

I absolutely love long distance trips in the G and prefer it to my second car which is an IS250, also very comfortable and can hold its own on trips. My opinion places the "journey" to as high a regard as the destination, which the G delivers time and time again. Such a pleasure.

Also, I once had a Civic and driving for more than an hour was a horrible experience. Cant speak for the Accord.

Take the G...

One warning - my front buymper is rock-chipped to the point I want to cry but then I remember all the fun times that caused those chips and the tears dry away... albeit only until I look down and see the chips again but, its worth it.

Have a great time!
Old 03-11-2012, 02:20 PM
BACsader

Originally Posted by Mayu
Depends on the number of passengers and amount of luggage.

I absolutely love long distance trips in the G and prefer it to my second car which is an IS250, also very comfortable and can hold its own on trips. My opinion places the "journey" to as high a regard as the destination, which the G delivers time and time again. Such a pleasure.

Also, I once had a Civic and driving for more than an hour was a horrible experience. Cant speak for the Accord.

Take the G...

One warning - my front buymper is rock-chipped to the point I want to cry but then I remember all the fun times that caused those chips and the tears dry away... albeit only until I look down and see the chips again but, its worth it.

Have a great time!
Fortunately when I first bought my G I got a Colgan car bra. Best $165 I have ever spent. Right now I am leaning towards the G, but if gas gets too crazy I will have a tough choice to make.

It will only be two people. I would never subject anyone to 12 hour trips in the back seat of this car. lol
Old 03-11-2012, 03:07 PM
Dough1397
Registered Member

Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Mayu
My opinion places the "journey" to as high a regard as the destination, which the G delivers time and time again. Such a pleasure.
+1, well said

Also, sport seats are amazing. I always get out of the car feeling like a million bucks,no butt, batt or knee pains!
Old 03-11-2012, 03:56 PM
hobbs
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Just returned from a (4) day 700 mile trip to Furnace Creek, Death Valley in my G37 Coupe. This in a very comfortable car for long stretches of desolate two lane desert roads. Even better, there is a severe shortage of speed enforcement on said roads!
Old 03-11-2012, 05:41 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Did a Maryland to Michigan trip (14hrs) a year ago ....was great. I drove "conservatively" not going more than 5-8mph over speed limit and easy acceleration and I got almost 30mpg for the round trip.

My 18 year old daughter was in the back seat ..... let's say she got a tad b1tchy after a while back there :-)
Old 03-11-2012, 06:27 PM
xxg00w0
Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
accord! great MPG.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:35 PM
jramsey

Easy choice

Easy choice, go with the G. After all it is a luxury grand tourer meant to take you from point A to B quickly in comfort and stlye. I've been from Colorado to Alabama and back and loved every minute, especially on open back country roads.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:34 PM
Fezzik

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts
I've driven my maxima from Louisville to Toronto a lot. My back would hurt a little after the trip. I took my G from Chicago, to Carlisle, PA and I got out of that car refreshed. THe sports seats do help a lot!
Old 03-12-2012, 05:14 AM
JedAngulob

i use to go back and forth from vegas to cali alot and the seats always killed me.

Quick Reply: Long Distance Trips in G37