G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2008 G. Warranty out in 20 days. Anything I should check out?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 09:47 AM
gimmeshelter67
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 G. Warranty out in 20 days. Anything I should check out?

I just got the car in January. When I brought the car in for servicing, the Service Manager told me that he ordered a new Muffler for it. I didn't even bring it up with him. The salesman told me that muffler rattle was kinda normal when the car was cold. That will be put on sometime next week.

This is a not a daily Driver car and has 25K miles on it, so it won't get the regular wear and tear.

Do you guys have any suggestions on the following?

I don't really have any other issues other than:

1. Door Trim has a couple of scratches since I got the car. I can see this getting scratched really easily from weekend driving.

2. Stearing wheel Bezel had one tiny scratch when I got it, now it's got a couple. I know this will get worse in time, but right now doesn't warrant replacement unless i can get creative with the service guy.

3. The Top of the Instrument Cluster is slightly pealing on the left and right. I actually didn't even notice it when going through the car with an eye for defects when buying it. After I read this forum, I noticed it. It doesn't really bother me and it doesn't squeak, so I'm ok with it like that unless you guys tell me that it will get much worse and really start looking bad after a while.

I'd prefer to leave it alone than take a chance on having a new one put in and the guys messing something else up and/or it start squeaking really bad.

My seats aren't bubbled yet. My seats are slightly bubbled in my Nissan Frontier and that really doesn't bother me.

I bought the car Certified so it carries the extended warranty for two years. I won't hit the mileage maximum, but I'll probably keep the car for two years and then trade it in.

I think the CPO covers these parts but also comes with a $50 deductible.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:16 AM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
Definitely get the steering wheel bezel replaced. You can "accelerate" the wear by taking your fingernail and scratching off the finish on the bezel. It scratches off like a lottery ticket. It will get worse with time and will become an eyesore. The new one isn't like this.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:24 AM
GET_SOME

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mjne is an 08 and I had the wheel replaced due to those scraches as they will get much worse.. i also had the cover above the cluster replaced as this will also get worse. both are covered under warranty.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:05 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
They warrantied my steering wheel for a worn section below the volume area. It's a high traffic area for most people.

Funny thing about my dad's G. He didn't know he even scratched off the trim until I told him. How can you not see those white spots on a black bezel? lol

As far as the cluster (2 years ago), after they fixed mine it hasn't peeled. But when they did it the tech was VERY careless. The steering wheel was put on crooked, a felt piece that goes between the cluster and the cluster cover was showing, and some other pieces weren't put back right. Took 2 extra visits to clear that up.

Last edited by cruzmisl; 03-10-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:13 PM
TwoThree

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Yes get both of those replaced. I also had all my door and window seals replaced, shift ****, seat leather and seat foam on driver seat, exhaust was rattling as well, they replaced from the cats back and I intend on getting the cats replaced in the near future. The plastic on my exterior mirror was faded a little, they replaced. I have had many, many other things replaced as well, that I helped accelerate the process with, but those are the things you should look into as they are most common.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:04 PM
cruzmisl

I had my muffler replaced last November for "rattling," but the replacement was very raspy--like a high-pitched raspy that actually sounded like something inside the muffler was vibrating. This happened once the muffler got warm.

I really hated the sound, so I got them to replace it again. The second one did the same but a little less severe. I gave up then because the dealership showed me the 3 different part numbers for the muffler, due to parts suppliers changing. They also said some other people had complained about the same issue, but there was not much they could do about it.

We tried my dad's G37 replacement muffler from late 2010 and it sounded perfect, but the alignment of that muffler was off (I think a lot of replacement mufflers from this period were crooked), with the left side hanging down a bit more than the right.

The alignment of the mufflers I had were perfect, but the sound was not good, at least from the inside of the car. Both of these were silver since they were not painted black (OEM and replacements up till sometime in 2011 were painted black).

I honestly wish I just had the original muffler back.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:22 AM
gimmeshelter67
Registered Member

Car is at dealer with laundry list. The service manager told me the replacement steering wheel was much better and would not peel, but my salesman told me that I still should be careful.

Do the new steering wheels fix the problem on the bezel?
Old 03-27-2012, 12:51 PM
cruzmisl

Yes, the new bezel appears to be solid black plastic instead of white/gray black-coated plastic.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:52 PM
djtrump

Taking my 08 to the dealer next Friday with a similar laundry list plus the A pillar creaking sound. Hopefully they're able to fix everything.

Originally Posted by cruzmisl
I had my muffler replaced last November for "rattling," but the replacement was very raspy--like a high-pitched raspy that actually sounded like something inside the muffler was vibrating. This happened once the muffler got warm.

I really hated the sound, so I got them to replace it again. The second one did the same but a little less severe. I gave up then because the dealership showed me the 3 different part numbers for the muffler, due to parts suppliers changing. They also said some other people had complained about the same issue, but there was not much they could do about it.

We tried my dad's G37 replacement muffler from late 2010 and it sounded perfect, but the alignment of that muffler was off (I think a lot of replacement mufflers from this period were crooked), with the left side hanging down a bit more than the right.

The alignment of the mufflers I had were perfect, but the sound was not good, at least from the inside of the car. Both of these were silver since they were not painted black (OEM and replacements up till sometime in 2011 were painted black).

I honestly wish I just had the original muffler back.
Do you think it would be in my best interest to not even mention the muffler? Mine only rattles during a cold start and goes away when the car warms up. Although I can also hear a bass sound when I'm stopped at a light especially if there are buildings to my sides or I'm in a tunnel.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:17 PM
cruzmisl

Even if you replace the muffler, there will still be a few seconds of rattling from the cats. That's really what you mostly hear anyway.

I would just leave the muffler alone if you're happy with how it sounds while driving.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:01 PM
djtrump

Ok thanks, I definitely like the sound while driving. Is that bass sound while stopped also normal on the G? Hard to describe but it's similar to a deep bass that gets into your ears, I don't hear it all the time but only when stopped at a light or when switching into reverse.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:04 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Hows the trim on the arm rest button, My wifes(2010) started pealing off at 5000 miles and getting worse I cut my finger twice, An now mine(2011) is starting to peal?? 11k miles.

Did you have the oil cunsumption? (Spelled wrong most likley) LOL
Old 03-27-2012, 03:16 PM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
question.... when they change your steering wheel bezel, do they replace the whole wheel? I have scratches on my wheel leather and bezel is peeling.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:22 PM
djtrump

Originally Posted by myk1013
question.... when they change your steering wheel bezel, do they replace the whole wheel? I have scratches on my wheel leather and bezel is peeling.

I believe they swap out the whole wheel
Old 03-27-2012, 04:10 PM
cruzmisl

Yup, new wheel

New wheel will look a bit grayer/lighter than the one it replaces but overtime it should get shinier/blacker as you use it.

Quick Reply: 2008 G. Warranty out in 20 days. Anything I should check out?