G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Univeristy student buying a G37S 6mt a smart idea?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 06:18 PM
Whycry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Univeristy student buying a G37S 6mt a smart idea?

I'm going to university @ uofl and my grandpa wants to buy me a used car. he told me that when i was a kid he used to always say when im in university he would buy me a car and that he's going to full fill that promise.

He wants to put down 10 thousand and finance the rest. I was just wondering if it's possible for him to buy the car and then put the car under my name while he's responsible for the loan and pays it off. He lives in british columbia while i live in alberta.

Also would it be smart for me to buy a G37S 6mt? I've been thinking hard about what car to get and i've narrowed my choices down to a civic, lexus is250 or 350 and the G37S 6mt coupe.

I've always wanted the g35 coupe as a kid and now there's a G37. Im so close to pulling the trigger but I have to make sure it's the right choice.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:20 PM
jjasonSU

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
U can get a nice car for $10k

I wouldn't want an expensive g sitting in that commuter lot, dorms. Etc
Old 03-07-2012, 06:23 PM
Whycry

Originally Posted by jjasonSU
U can get a nice car for $10k

I wouldn't want an expensive g sitting in that commuter lot, dorms. Etc
I'm not worried about my car getting vandalized. I'm nice and have good relationships with a lot of students who reside here. + there are tons of bmw's and audi's that students own that don't get touched.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:33 PM
kchu221
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
if you can afford it why now? I'm only 20 and i got my first g when i was 19!
Old 03-07-2012, 06:33 PM
37hevn

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
yea the title can be in your name and anyone can pay it, they dont care who pays as long as they get their money lol
Old 03-07-2012, 06:46 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Plan to carry anyone around? Go on road trips? I had a 3 series coupe in college and it wasn't very practical. Also realize that the G is not very fuel efficient compared to a civic (it was on your list)

- Is this your first manual car? The G clutch isn't the easiest to learn on and will take a while to drive smoothly.
- A G with an automatic can be a few thousand cheaper than the 6MT, similarly optioned

Gonna go out and say this: is your grandpa well off? If he isn't and is still working and will need to work to pay off the car loan, I'd go for something cheaper and reliable. Just what I would do with this offer instead of maxing out what he's offering to pay. It is a generous offer.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:50 PM
Samurai

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Whycry
I'm going to university @ uofl and my grandpa wants to buy me a used car. he told me that when i was a kid he used to always say when im in university he would buy me a car and that he's going to full fill that promise.

He wants to put down 10 thousand and finance the rest. I was just wondering if it's possible for him to buy the car and then put the car under my name while he's responsible for the loan and pays it off. He lives in british columbia while i live in alberta.

Also would it be smart for me to buy a G37S 6mt? I've been thinking hard about what car to get and i've narrowed my choices down to a civic, lexus is250 or 350 and the G37S 6mt coupe.

I've always wanted the g35 coupe as a kid and now there's a G37. Im so close to pulling the trigger but I have to make sure it's the right choice.
I'm not worried about my car getting vandalized. I'm nice and have good relationships with a lot of students who reside here. + there are tons of bmw's and audi's that students own that don't get touched.
Lol claiming yourself as a "nice" person won't save your car from getting vandalized. Anyway, if you are going to uofi I would suggest going with a car that is more reliable than the 6mt. If I were you I would either look at the G37X or the IS 250 AWD.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:51 PM
Whycry

Originally Posted by cruzmisl
Plan to carry anyone around? Go on road trips? I had a 3 series coupe in college and it wasn't very practical. Also realize that the G is not very fuel efficient compared to a civic (it was on your list)

- Is this your first manual car? The G clutch isn't the easiest to learn on and will take a while to drive smoothly.
- A G with an automatic can be a few thousand cheaper than the 6MT, similarly optioned

Gonna go out and say this: is your grandpa well off? If he isn't and is still working and will need to work to pay off the car loan, I'd go for something cheaper and reliable. Just what I would do with this offer instead of maxing out what he's offering to pay. It is a generous offer.
I dont' plan on giving too many rides so the coupe is perfect.
It is my first manual car. i've only driven a manual car about 4 times in my life. Im not too good at it but hopefully i'll improve.
I don't want an automatic G because they lose their value quick but the g37s 6mt's hold their value. atleast in canada. an 2008 g37s 6mt goes for around 28 thousand while a g37s auto goes for around 24 thousand.
+ ive always loved manual cars.

My grandpa is well off, he owns loads of property and is retired.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:52 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
When I went to school, the car got used 1-2 days a week at most. I walked to campus or took the bus on bad days. Not sure about your school, but at most, you have to pay for parking. Cars that sit outside age worse than cars that are garaged. Being in florida, you're not necessarily subject to freezing temps, but high humidity and salt from the ocean isn't favorable.

I'd say buy a cheap beater until you're done with school, then cash in the new car ticket.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:00 PM
v.b

wow must be nice...

id recommend a beater for college too.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:06 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
When I bought my daughters car we put it in both of our names, I paid the bill and insurance. When the car got paid off she had good credit as well as a car that was paid for. Best present I could have gotten her.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:32 PM
Whycry

Although I appricieate the advice for buying a beater. I don't think I have it in me to wait until I graduate to get the nice car.
one more question guys.
how much does extended warranty cost on these cars? and what type of things does the warranty cover
Old 03-07-2012, 07:42 PM
jesse550

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Vandalism isn't the only thing you should be worried about. I was in the same boat as you a few months ago and ended up getting the G. It always takes me a while to find a parking spot that is on its own and not near any other cars. You should be worried about some of the careless students dinging your car as that will get more annoying. I've also seen people lose their side mirrors, scrape other cars, back their own cars into walls. It's mayhem there. If you want the G, I say go for it. It's worth that extra few minutes finding parking...HOWEVER

Let me remind you, gas prices are soaring and the G is a gas murderer. My commute to school and back is 80 miles so I get 2 days tops before I have to refill including some local driving as well in between.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:57 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Although I appricieate the advice for buying a beater. I don't think I have it in me to wait until I graduate to get the nice car.
one more question guys.
how much does extended warranty cost on these cars? and what type of things does the warranty cover
The extended warranty basically just doesn't cover interior bits, rattles, wind noise or wear and tear stuff--i.e. the stuff most of us bitch on the forums about.

Which is why I didn't get one when I had those things taken care of.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:54 PM
hustlerj

If its your first car don't get a MT. Get use to a automatic first. The G37 is really a nice car. Performance and luxuries. Good choose!

Quick Reply: Univeristy student buying a G37S 6mt a smart idea?