G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Univeristy student buying a G37S 6mt a smart idea?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 05:00 PM
chlutz214
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
im in college and just got my g37 coupe. i park far far away in the parking lot at school and have had no problems, but i do get annoyed as **** when someone parks next to me in the empty lot.... one time i hit a mustang for parking next to me lol.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:05 AM
esquesk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chlutz214
im in college and just got my g37 coupe. i park far far away in the parking lot at school and have had no problems, but i do get annoyed as **** when someone parks next to me in the empty lot.... one time i hit a mustang for parking next to me lol.
And.... Wow.

Sorry dude but I have to call you out on this one. That's a total d*ck move by you. What goes around comes back around I guess .

Let us know when you grow up.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:20 AM
BlkG-37S

Originally Posted by TwoThree
Awesome response!

To the OP, I go to FSU (Florida State University) and have no issues. I just walk a bit farther than everyone else. I park away from other cars and try to park in the shade as long as its not directly under a tree where sap can fall on it or get **** on by some bird. My G lives outside so it gets washed weekly and waxed with UV ray protectant pretty regularly as well. I work and go to school and pay for everything on my own (other than tuition) and it feels good knowing I worked for my car and things I own.
I went to FSU as well and I DO NOT know how you can drive a G37 around that city and campus. I had a SRT-4 during my college rein at FSU and that car got dinged, smashed, scratched, and damaged throughout my tenure. From college dorm party parking, to the bumpy ridiculous roads, to the parking garages in Seminole Oaks (now called Green Studio or something) my car was always in potential danger. I tried parking far away or in isolated areas, yet it was still a target for damage. KUDOS to you for making it work, but from the parking on Tennessee St. to the garages, it's amazing you haven't been hit or dinged up already. I would NEVER drive a nice car around FSU.

That aside, if you have means to drive a decent car in college go right ahead. I wouldn't blame you, but I'd sit tight until you get that degree before buying the G...most kids have bangers around college for the exact reasons I mentioned above, but hey, to each their own.

Man I missed FSU...the girls, the games...ughh...but I digress.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:09 AM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Maybe he parked next to you cuz he figured you wouldn't hit his car and he wouldn't hit yours?

Ugh, fuggin kids.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:16 AM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That was real mature response on your part...so someone parked next to you but did nothing to your car and you hit theirs?
You are worse than the people you try to stay away from in parking lots.
Too bad that person could not find this out and press charges for intentionally causing damage to their.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:18 AM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My advice to the OP...get you an economical car while in school. It doesn't have to be a "beater"; just something less than a "nice" car.
Then get you a nicer car after you graduate...you'll feel better about it later...
Old 03-09-2012, 11:33 AM
gimmeshelter67
Registered Member

I'd agree with a lot of the other posts. Driving a car like this around the campus is probably not a smart idea. It's gonna get dinged and possibly vandalized by someone. A struggling kid with a chip on his shoulder may key just because he doesn't have one.

Aside from that, there's nothing really "smart" about buying a luxury auto this early in the game. Your grandpa could invest that money for you and buy a brand new G37 when you graduate and have a lot more than 10g to put down on it.

good tires will run a pretty penny every 20-40K miles. Upkeep and servicing as well. Have you planned for this?

Are you going to be paying back college money in loans or is this already taken care of?

Where will you live? can you have the G AND get a little beater car or motorcycle for school?

I drove decent cars when I was in the late teens and early 20's, but I don't think I would have appreciated something as nice as a G37 or back then a Z28, or 280Z. I do think it would be hard to raise the bar if I had owned something that nice.

But... hey, we live in the "We want is now" generation. don't hesitate, choose your color and get to shifting. I wouldn't waste time with an automatic in this car. part of the fun of the car is the shifting for me.

Congrats either way you go.

D
Old 03-09-2012, 12:11 PM
CrazyBulgarian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hustlerj
If its your first car don't get a MT. Get use to a automatic first. The G37 is really a nice car. Performance and luxuries. Good choose!
I got my first car manual and nobody thought me how to drive. Don't regret it one bit. Also please DO NOT BUY an AUTO G!

Also I'm in school, having a g37s is no problem. I'm 21 and loving every single minute of the g. Regardless if I'm pulling into the parking lot of the school or cruising on the highway. Insurance wise, it only went up by 15$ a month from my jetta. You should be fine
Old 03-09-2012, 01:08 PM
gimmeshelter67
Registered Member

CrazyBulgarian, which Jetta did you have? I had a VR6 Stick as the car before I got the G37. While it was no G37, it was a fun car to drive. I miss that car.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:22 PM
TwoThree

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
HAHA! oh FSU! Well I am very fortunate in the fact that I do not live on campus and have a pretty nice town house a few miles from campus where I have my own spot where my car is away from others... Then for school I am very lucky because my aunt is actually a bio professor and i get to park in the teacher parking lot lol, where I try my best to to park away from others, or at least by the nicer cars, where I know they look out for their cars as well. Roads in this town is another story... Reason why I'm iffy on lowering my car...

Originally Posted by BlkG-37S
I went to FSU as well and I DO NOT know how you can drive a G37 around that city and campus. I had a SRT-4 during my college rein at FSU and that car got dinged, smashed, scratched, and damaged throughout my tenure. From college dorm party parking, to the bumpy ridiculous roads, to the parking garages in Seminole Oaks (now called Green Studio or something) my car was always in potential danger. I tried parking far away or in isolated areas, yet it was still a target for damage. KUDOS to you for making it work, but from the parking on Tennessee St. to the garages, it's amazing you haven't been hit or dinged up already. I would NEVER drive a nice car around FSU.

That aside, if you have means to drive a decent car in college go right ahead. I wouldn't blame you, but I'd sit tight until you get that degree before buying the G...most kids have bangers around college for the exact reasons I mentioned above, but hey, to each their own.

Man I missed FSU...the girls, the games...ughh...but I digress.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:25 PM
G37andCarnewbie

I'm a college student and I drive a '10 G37s, and trust me I wouldn't bring it to college if I were you. constant exposure to rain, snow, sun, and I gotten atleast 5-6 noticeable scratches in the course of 6 months. Doesn't matter if you are nice, Haters gonna hate.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:29 PM
Frankyg37s

GET IT the best car in your choice,,,i would keep my 08 6MT foreever if i could i LOVE it but im getting a GTR soon DO IIIITTTTTT
Old 03-09-2012, 03:56 PM
KennyG37S

get the 6MT... its not that hard to learn to be honest

as long as you can afford the gas/maintenance and all the associated costs without begging your grandpa, then i dont see why not...

otherwise get something cheaper, this car drinks premium gases like NOTHING...
Old 03-09-2012, 04:51 PM
Shift

This is...just wow. You are the people that we're discussing about in this topic. The guy probably noticed you had a nice car and wanted to park next to you so you can maybe appreciate his car when you come back from classes but instead you decided to be a spoiled brat and chose to hit his car for no reason. You're lucky no one saw you or you would be riding your bike to school.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:04 PM
Whycry

Thank you all for the replies. I apparicieate each and every one of them. Im still making my decision as to what i want to get.
Does the g only get bad gas mileage if you floor it or in general? How much will i be spending on matinance

Quick Reply: Univeristy student buying a G37S 6mt a smart idea?