Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

IPL rumor...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 03:22 PM
Only4theGnme

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by daren_ipl
Infiniti rep told me that Infiniti will be making a " IPL" edition in ALL models like how BMW have the M series for all their models, just want to know if anyone else heard this??
...I'll Believe when I see it. Although I did wonder why our G37's didn't come with a V8 option.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:29 PM
DashKid
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by only4mal
...I'll Believe when I see it. Although I did wonder why our G37's didn't come with a V8 option.
Simple emissions and gas mileage. You would have to pay 1k each year to the fed for a gas guzzler tax.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:34 PM
Wyldfyer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DashKid
lol at people thinking that Infiniti (which is Nissan) is going to make a 600 hp infiniti. I guess that means they have make the GT-R like 800 or 1000 hp car.

Come on guys let be realistic here Infiniti is never and I repeat never going to have high class performing parts standard from Nissan. Everything high standard goes to the GT-R.

Also, people fail to realize the GT-R was made to take on the M3. Heck they even made the GT-R to take on the Porsche GT3-RS.

So once again Infiniti is not going to make a 500 + hp car because if they do they will be taking away the sales from the GT-R.

Once again GT-R = Nissan Mother of God Cars.
You make it seem like horsepower automatically makes the Infiniti faster. Come on, man are you a car guy? did you know that the newest GTR specs are like 0-60 in < 3 seconds and 11.2 1/4 mile? Infiniti can easily have a 500 HP sports coupe that comes no where close to THOSE numbers, but still compete with the M3 (mid to late 12's in the 1/4). I mean, they could literally take a GTR and slap an Infiniti emblem on it and make it rear wheel drive and it won't compete with a Nissan GTR. LOL

Why do you make it sound like its as simple as more horsepower = faster than a GTR?
Old 03-05-2012, 03:39 PM
DashKid
Banned

Originally Posted by Wyldfyer
You make it seem like horsepower automatically make the Infiniti faster. Come on, man are you a car guy? did you know that the newest GTR specs are like 0-60 in < 3 seconds and 11.2 1/4 mile? Infiniti can easily have a 500 HP sports coupe that comes no where close to THOSE numbers, but still compete with the M3 (mid to late 12's in the 1/4).

Why do you make it sound like its as simple as more horsepower = faster than a GTR?
I know that but how many people on these forum know that? People on this forum want everything to be faster then one car. I bet nissan can care less of the bmw's were faster why? Because Infiniti is a not a racing brand like Nissan is. Infiniti is a luxury brand with engine that packs a good punch.

As G competing the m3 is not going to happen once again because Nissan already done that with the GT-R and 370z.

This was not a rant about horsepower. I said that because if you look at the post most people tend to leave out other factors. You are correct horsepower isn't everything and I know that.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:49 PM
Wyldfyer

I know that but how many people on these forum know that? People on this forum want everything to be faster then one car. I bet nissan can care less of the bmw's were faster why? Because Infiniti is a not a racing brand like Nissan is. Infiniti is a luxury brand with engine that packs a good punch.

As G competing the m3 is not going to happen once again because Nissan already done that with the GT-R and 370z.

This was not a rant about horsepower. I said that because if you look at the post most people tend to leave out other factors. You are correct horsepower isn't everything and I know that.
Yeah but Infiniti can make the decision to go after WHATEVER market that they want. They aren't limited to "what they've done thus far". Thats why you have a marketing department. Decisions are made EVERYDAY to try something different in almost EVERY COMPANY!

Im not saying they will. But I don't know why you think it's unreasonable. It's a segment that they currently do not compete in.

Best Example: Up until a few years ago, Cadillac didnt have ONE "performance car". Then they made a decision (without notifying the guys on the car forums, lol) to jump into the performance segment...giving birth to the "V" designation. If CADILLAC can do it. Come on, you KNOW Infiniti can do it. CADILLAC?
Old 03-05-2012, 04:02 PM
Dr.Pat

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Best Example: Up until a few years ago, Cadillac didnt have ONE "performance car". Then they made a decision (without notifying the guys on the car forums, lol) to jump into the performance segment...giving birth to the "V" designation. If CADILLAC can do it. Come on, you KNOW Infiniti can do it. CADILLAC?
Exactly...saying Infiniti/Nissan won't make the G coupe more powerful because of the GT-R is like saying GM won't make a CTS-V coupe because it'll compete with the corvette...and that's already happened. Nobody is saying to make the G coupe a supercar...but there's nothing wrong with a V8 or V6 TT option. Yes some people may jump the GT-R ship if there was a more powerful G coupe...but then again there will be a lot of people that wouldn't. Regardless of horsepower, they would still be very different cars with very a different consumer base

Regarding a previous post...I don't agree that the 370Z is aimed at the M3...it's not even close! Not only in terms of performance but also quality.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:03 PM
DashKid
Banned

Yeah but Infiniti can make the decision to go after WHATEVER market that they want. They aren't limited to "what they've done thus far". Thats why you have a marketing department. Decisions are made EVERYDAY to try something different in almost EVERY COMPANY!

Im not saying they will. But I don't know why you think it's unreasonable. It's a segment that they currently do not compete in.

Of course but the question come if you were the CEO of Nissan would you want something in your brand to compete with the GT-R in terms of price and performance? I mean yeah Nissan can do it but if they are going to make a IPL car that is going to cost 70-80k why not spend 10k extra more and have a GT-R? See my drift? That's the reason why I don't see it happening.

Now what I can see is if they make a G close to 400 hp with a small azz turbo to be more fuel efficient to compete with the 335i.

On for Cadillac that was due to the fact that they were about to go under and be gone, desperate move calls for desperate measures.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:37 PM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

there is no way infiniti will make the mistake to undermine the GTR.
thats the same mistake that almost cost American auto manufacturers their businesses.
ford had Lincoln & mercury to compete against while
GM had chevy, Cadillac, gmc, saturn, plymouth, chrysler, and god knows how many other "sister companies" to compete against.

IF INFINITI DOES ANYTHING TO THE G-COUPE TO MAKE IT FIT UNDER AN "IPL" MONIKER ITS GOING TO BE MAJOR WEIGHT REDUCTION IN HEAVY AREAS, carbon fiber body panels to further reduce weight, stronger tranny's/clutches, or maybe even a small super-charger = BUT THEY HAVE TO DO IT WITHOUT GOING OVER THE PRICE OF AN M3. like it or not, the m3 is considered competition by the average car dummy's with a decent income.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:39 PM
37hevn

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
wow i cant even read these post, too long, lots of bs. i think i gave up after i saw someone say the g37 is faster than the 335 and m3.

i do know that infiniti is working with mercedes to develop an engine for high output, we can fill in the rest. b...m...w... its their biggest competitor
Old 03-05-2012, 06:38 PM
Polar_g37s

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
How is the m3 even comparable to a g37?? The thing costs welll over 20gs more
Old 03-05-2012, 06:51 PM
37hevn

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Polar_g37s
How is the m3 even comparable to a g37?? The thing costs welll over 20gs more
its not right now, but with this engine infiniti and mercedes are putting in it, it will be closer in $ and power
Old 03-05-2012, 07:38 PM
Wyldfyer

Of course but the question come if you were the CEO of Nissan would you want something in your brand to compete with the GT-R in terms of price and performance? I mean yeah Nissan can do it but if they are going to make a IPL car that is going to cost 70-80k why not spend 10k extra more and have a GT-R? See my drift? That's the reason why I don't see it happening.

Now what I can see is if they make a G close to 400 hp with a small azz turbo to be more fuel efficient to compete with the 335i.

On for Cadillac that was due to the fact that they were about to go under and be gone, desperate move calls for desperate measures.

Nissan could ALSO have plans to 1 up the GTR itself. The price of the GTR has climbed more and more each year. A NEW GTR is closer to 100k now. Here is your proof:

Find Your Car: Nissan GT-R Listings Near Willingboro, NJ 08046 - AutoTrader.com

A future IPL G could go for 65-75k and still under-cut the M3 (83k) and be significantly lower than a GTR (95k). Honestly, it won't even take 500 hp to get the G to run 12's in the quarter. We have members doing mid to low 13's with just bolt ons. You could get to 60 < 5 second and run 12's with an additional 100-150hp easy.

Also, the GTR was NOT built to compete with an M3. It was built to compete with the Vette, Porche 911 turbo, etc. TRUE supercars. ACTUALLY, it was built to compete with the Supra and Rx7 (in Japan) years ago, LOL. Like someone else said, the GTR is a different market segment.

AMG, M, Audi'a S, Cadillac's V, these are LUXURY PERFORMANCE vehicles. This is where the IPL would/should fit in IF they decide to go there.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:16 PM
Jadex153

Originally Posted by lier200a
Isn't IPL currently in the "let's see if there is interest for performance" stages?
One would think that if that were the case (and I agree that it is), that Nissan/Infiniti would really step it up and provide true performance enhancements rather than just jack the price up for minimal cosmetic and performance differences. I mean, they look kinda cool but that's about as far as it goes. And the red leather doesn't even match the interior that well. What a rip!
Old 03-05-2012, 09:19 PM
Wyldfyer

Originally Posted by Jadex153
One would think that if that were the case (and I agree that it is), that Nissan/Infiniti would really step it up and provide true performance enhancements rather than just jack the price up for minimal cosmetic and performance differences. I mean, they look kinda cool but that's about as far as it goes. And the red leather doesn't even match the interior that well. What a rip!
Agreed. how can you see if there's interest without giving true performance for us to be interested in, LOL. Not ******* the car. Im ******* NISSAN!
Old 03-06-2012, 09:05 AM
DashKid
Banned

Nissan could ALSO have plans to 1 up the GTR itself. The price of the GTR has climbed more and more each year. A NEW GTR is closer to 100k now. Here is your proof:

Find Your Car: Nissan GT-R Listings Near Willingboro, NJ 08046 - AutoTrader.com

A future IPL G could go for 65-75k and still under-cut the M3 (83k) and be significantly lower than a GTR (95k). Honestly, it won't even take 500 hp to get the G to run 12's in the quarter. We have members doing mid to low 13's with just bolt ons. You could get to 60 < 5 second and run 12's with an additional 100-150hp easy.

Also, the GTR was NOT built to compete with an M3. It was built to compete with the Vette, Porche 911 turbo, etc. TRUE supercars. ACTUALLY, it was built to compete with the Supra and Rx7 (in Japan) years ago, LOL. Like someone else said, the GTR is a different market segment.

AMG, M, Audi'a S, Cadillac's V, these are LUXURY PERFORMANCE vehicles. This is where the IPL would/should fit in IF they decide to go there.

How was the GT-R not made to compete with the m3? Have you not seen vids on youtube in Japan on the 5 lap battles? They raced an m3, gt-r, zr-1, porsche 911, and you can clearly see that the m3 was able to keep up on the turns but on the straights it would get blown away.

Also, the car prices are rising due to the world economy just going on a down fall right now. Cars are costing more to build, hence why the msrp and invoice pricing is going up. Once again people say 75-80k IPL is good and I say why not spend an extra 10-15k on a GT-R then? If you never seen a GT-R that car is more luxury then our G so why not spend an extra 10-15k to have something that will blow away the G at the same time have the luxury factor?

Quick Reply: IPL rumor...